Why is Doc McStuffins at HS 7 feet tall?

NelsonRD

Original Poster
Why are all the characters that meet at Hollywood Studios from Disney Jr. in a costume suit?

I just got back from a week at Disney World, and I cannot get the image of Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First, and Jake from the Neverland Pirates out of my head. These characters that meet at Hollywood Studios were very big, tall, creepy, and by no way represented the characters from Disney Jr.

Doc McStuffins is about 7 feet tall. Why is she not a person, like the princesses? Even my 6 year old knew something wasn't right there, and I couldn't explain it. These characters are just plain terrible, and I felt like it was a meet and greet at the local mall opposed to Walt Disney World.

Cmdr_Crimson

Why are all the characters that meet at Hollywood Studios from Disney Jr. in a costume suit?

I just got back from a week at Disney World, and I cannot get the image of Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First, and Jake from the Neverland Pirates out of my head. These characters that meet at Hollywood Studios were very big, tall, creepy, and by no way represented the characters from Disney Jr.

Doc McStuffins is about 7 feet tall. Why is she not a person, like the princesses? Even my 6 year old knew something wasn't right there, and I couldn't explain it. These characters are just plain terrible, and I felt like it was a meet and greet at the local mall opposed to Walt Disney World.

Okay, That just sounds hilarious and I would love to see a picture of Mutant Costume Characters that aren't their exact height...

sophie_the_pooh

I feel it would be worst to have a female adult being "friends" with Doc or Sofia, since they are supposed to be kids...I just tell my son characters get bigger once they come out of the tv! Same for Pooh or Piglet!

Cmdr_Crimson

This is too funny! It's like seeing a midget Goofy..
Double+Dribble+1.jpg

NelsonRD

Original Poster
7 foot tall? Um, no.

Yes, the 7 foot mark may be an exaggeration. However, the claim they are abnormally large compared to the characters they play, with larger than life plastic heads is still accurate.

Pooh, Piglet, Mickey, Donald, Minnie etc are not human, they are anthropomorphic animals, so that is easier to justify. Jake, Sofia, and Doc are little kids, humans, and I would expect Disney to represent them more accurately.

Tom P.

They can't have children playing these characters. Child labor laws would not permit it. And the average adult is not going to be able to fit inside a costume that is realistically kid-sized. It's as simple as that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, the 7 foot mark may be an exaggeration. However, the claim they are abnormally large compared to the characters they play, with larger than life plastic heads is still accurate.

Pooh, Piglet, Mickey, Donald, Minnie etc are not human, they are anthropomorphic animals, so that is easier to justify. Jake, Sofia, and Doc are little kids, humans, and I would expect Disney to represent them more accurately.
Like Mickey and Minnie, they are anthropomorphic humans in the shows and Disney follows in kind in the parks. There is also the issue that there is a shortage of 4' tall adults that look like kids to play them if they were done as face characters.

The face characters you see in the parks are typically representing characters drawn to be at least somewhat close to accurate.

Last edited:

DisneyFans4Life

Here is Doc McStuffins...yes she plays a little kit...but she is by no means anatomically correct. Her head is quite large for a child and the cosutmed characters give a good representation. I just don't see what the issue is.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

Prolly 'cause it would be against child labor laws to hire actual children to play them.

NelsonRD

Original Poster
Prolly 'cause it would be against child labor laws to hire actual children to play them.

I never suggested children play the role. I just said they look terrible and frightened my children. I'm sure Disney casting can find appropriate live actors for these characters.

Looks like I am the one who has a problem with this. I guess everybody can go back to more important 1000 page complaints about the broken Yeti.

NelsonRD

Original Poster
They can't have children playing these characters. Child labor laws would not permit it. And the average adult is not going to be able to fit inside a costume that is realistically kid-sized. It's as simple as that.

Another typical knee-jerk simple is that answer. Put a pirate outfit on peter pan and a sofia dress on Tinkerbell how hard is that ?

That would look a lot better than those robots they have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom