Why is cpt hook a character but pan is a person?

DARREN DOOZER

Original Poster
I was just sitting here wondering who decides who will be a character like with the full mask etc & who will be a person in a wig ie Peter Pan. I noticed that Kim Possible was also a real person not a costumed character??

Justa' BigKid

I believe it has more to do with rather Disney wishes the character to be able to carry on a conversation with the guests. Costumed character = mute.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Could it have to do with the voice? A character that has a very distinctive voice (like Tigger :lookaroun ) would be a costume but a princess that has really just a female voice, nothing special, could be a face character? Just a thought. :veryconfu

CoffeeJedi

i've always wondered this myself.
There have been some odd choices made, like Jack Skellington as a half head character who can talk (special events only iirc), but Mr. Incredible as a rubberhead? I'd love to actually talk to The Incredibles. They don't have rediculous facial features or anything, i'm sure that they could find someone out there who has a close enough face to pull off the characters.

And I always thought that Captain Hook and Mr. Smee would work great as real people who could interact a little more with the audience. How cool would that be to have them interupt Jack Sparrow's pirate initiation?

Are there any non-rubberhead villians? Cruella D'Ville i think. Maleficent? The Wicked Queen? I think Jafar could be really creepy too if the performer got really into it.

I have a strange question and I may be way off track but....am I correct in that the technology for turtle talk allows any person to talk into it and the voice comes out sounding like Crush? Is there anyway that this technology may eventually come to the costumed characters? This would allow all characters the ability to talk. I'm sure it is probably really expensive, but maybe when they get a better grasp on the technology they may be able to make it smaller and allow for it to be a part of most or all character costumes.

Like I said before, I don't really know much about this, but just something I was wondering.:rolleyes:

Meeko

I've wondered things like this before too when seeing pictures of the Mad Hatter when he was a costumed character and not a face character. Wonder why he was switched?

I've also thought Queen of Hearts was not so distinctive as to be costumed, but I'm guessing the height makes it necessary. Otherwise that may be an even more masculine looking Queen.:rolleyes:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I have a strange question and I may be way off track but....am I correct in that the technology for turtle talk allows any person to talk into it and the voice comes out sounding like Crush?

I do not believe that the technology affects the sound of the voice, only that it synchs the movement of the voice CM with the movement of Crush's mouth. It is my understanding that at the time TTWC opened, there were only two CMs that were availble to be the voice. This could be incorrect as I heard it from a friend of a bus driver who was dating a friend of a CM who worked in the Norway pavillion.....:lookaroun

I do not believe that the technology affects the sound of the voice, only that it synchs the movement of the voice CM with the movement of Crush's mouth. It is my understanding that at the time TTWC opened, there were only two CMs that were availble to be the voice. This could be incorrect as I heard it from a friend of a bus driver who was dating a friend of a CM who worked in the Norway pavillion.....:lookaroun

See...I told you I wasn't good at this stuff :rolleyes:

Oh well...wishful thinking!

dazzer68

i think cruella should be a masked character, the cartoon was very exaggerated which no human could pull off except if cherie blair got the job!
(shes the prime ministers wife with the upside down mouth!)

bassman

i think that they should make more characters real people like jack sparrow and kim possible.
the only exeptions for this are the key characters like mickey, minnie,goofy,pluto,donald,daisy and the winnie the pooh cast etc.character like that need to be full costume characters,otherwise they just wouldn't work.

and whilst were on the subject of 'real' characters, why cant we have a jack sparrow walk around like DLC has,that would be sooooooooo cool.

maelstrom

I think a lot of it may have to do with exaggerated facial features (did someone else already say this... yes, Erika did!). Captain Hook has a very prominent chin, for example, and they won't be able to find a person with that paticular feature. Whereas Peter Pan and Wendy, for instance, just look like regular people, although very childlike. I'm sure there's more to it, but I bet that's a part of it.

MeTa

I heard a rumor back when Eisner was around that they were working on masked characters with more facial expressions and possibly voice. Does anyone remember that too or do I have to lay off the Dole-Whips?

If I remember correctly I think one of the issues was that kids are the biggest critics and how many times have you walked by a kid crying when the parent was trying to get a pic with the characters, they didn't want the movements to be too intrusive to make them cry more.

PintoColvig

I've got a related question...
Does anyone know of a character that has been portrayed as both a "face" character and a "mask" character?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom