Why I will always stay on-site.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nobody was boasting.
Hyping… whatever you want to call it. The point is the frame of reference of value goes away when comparing a dvc stay verse a cash stay.

and all you need to do is look at the first page of replies and see exactly to where everyone went. To the ‘afford’ angle.

SteveAZee

Hyping… whatever you want to call it. The point is the frame of reference of value goes away when comparing a dvc stay verse a cash stay.

and all you need to do is look at the first page of replies and see exactly to where everyone went. To the ‘afford’ angle.
I just reviewed the first page of comments in this thread (did you mean this thread?) and I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you explain?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just reviewed the first page of comments in this thread (did you mean this thread?) and I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you explain?

Op leads in
"This is what my vacations are for. Yes I am totally aware of what is available off site at a cheaper price. Some things for me are worth the cost"

And the immediate replies goto the cost/afford/justify topic that the OP lead the horse to...

"Good for you. My family of 5 doesn't have the disposable income to accommodate Disney's veracious appetite to regain revenue in a short term grab for cash"

"If you enjoy it and can afford it good for you. Everyone has to decide for themselves if paying for that experience is worth it to them or if they want to spend their money on something else."

Op returns with
"I guess I made the post because here people treat those of us who stay on site as some type of idiots who are unable to really figure out why we choose to sacrifice and stay on site. That we are too dumb to know there are cheaper options, lol I figured out how to google. We carefully make the decision to do so"

even you went to
"I still haven't figured out what, exactly, is at the root of those who are feeling priced out of Disney." "I wanted to give an example of how, for me, I feel I can afford the trip and feel good about the expense and still stay in the Disney bubble. "

This is just the first page of the thread - because it's exactly where the Op lead it to... Not "see how great AKL is" or "Why I love AKL".. it was always about justifying Onsite properties... which when you don't actually pay the same thing as someone else... does not provide a meaningful comparison. The Op glossed over that her situation is not the same and the thread went right to where you expected it would go...

SteveAZee

Op leads in
"This is what my vacations are for. Yes I am totally aware of what is available off site at a cheaper price. Some things for me are worth the cost"

And the immediate replies goto the cost/afford/justify topic that the OP lead the horse to...

"Good for you. My family of 5 doesn't have the disposable income to accommodate Disney's veracious appetite to regain revenue in a short term grab for cash"

"If you enjoy it and can afford it good for you. Everyone has to decide for themselves if paying for that experience is worth it to them or if they want to spend their money on something else."

Op returns with
"I guess I made the post because here people treat those of us who stay on site as some type of idiots who are unable to really figure out why we choose to sacrifice and stay on site. That we are too dumb to know there are cheaper options, lol I figured out how to google. We carefully make the decision to do so"

even you went to
"I still haven't figured out what, exactly, is at the root of those who are feeling priced out of Disney." "I wanted to give an example of how, for me, I feel I can afford the trip and feel good about the expense and still stay in the Disney bubble. "

This is just the first page of the thread - because it's exactly where the Op lead it to... Not "see how great AKL is" or "Why I love AKL".. it was always about justifying Onsite properties... which when you don't actually pay the same thing as someone else... does not provide a meaningful comparison. The Op glossed over that her situation is not the same and the thread went right to where you expected it would go...
Yes, I saw (or wrote) all that. I guess I didn't understand your reply that everyone went to the 'afford' angle. The OP talks about value and cost, or affording the on-site vs. off-site.

It's 'hyping'? I assume you mean hyping DVC as a way to make it affordable? It's hard to tell, but I THINK you're saying that if you take DVC out of the equation, comparing a cash stay on property vs. off property is the only 'apples to apples' argument to make. Am I close?

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's 'hyping'? I assume you mean hyping DVC as a way to make it affordable? It's hard to tell, but I THINK you're saying that if you take DVC out of the equation, comparing a cash stay on property vs. off property is the only 'apples to apples' argument to make. Am I close?

I'm just saying you really can't have a discussion about Value when one person is pre-paid DVC, and the other is cash. Not only are they not paying with the same money, the DVC person has other motivations, and the DVC person already was a subset of people that believed they were the type that was going to stay in deluxe properties only and frequently... to buy into DVC in the first place.

This is not the same starting point of someone who looks at a deluxe every 3-4 years and is deciding "is this worth it?" and is comparing to other properties/options.

SteveAZee

I'm just saying you really can't have a discussion about Value when one person is pre-paid DVC, and the other is cash. Not only are they not paying with the same money, the DVC person has other motivations, and the DVC person already was a subset of people that believed they were the type that was going to stay in deluxe properties only and frequently... to buy into DVC in the first place.

This is not the same starting point of someone who looks at a deluxe every 3-4 years and is deciding "is this worth it?" and is comparing to other properties/options.
While that's true, I guess I didn't think that was the OP's intent; she was just responding to the other thread about whether or not people will ever stay on property and sharing her perspective.

For me, I have a history with OKW (from before it was called that) so while I do like the deluxe accommodations, it's more about what's familiar... and I guess I'm in the category of going every 3 years (and I've sized my OKW third party purchase accordingly) because I want to stay on property, will do so infrequently, enjoy the bubble, and want to pay a fraction of the rack rate in doing so. I could instead stay off property or pay through the nose with cash on property.

Perhaps I'm unique or unusual, but my 'afford' equations all led me to the point of buying back in to DVC at OKW, rather than pay cash (on or off) or rent points from DVC owners.... all of which I've done.

LovePop

I just booked 30 nights at POR in May 2020. I've never done that before, booking that many nights at once. I will probably only stay 25 nights or so, I just need the extra nights for flexibility in getting plane tickets. I will take off the extra nights once I get the tickets.

I don't know if it's just a computer glitch, but the rooms in 2022 seems to be going fast. Even though January normally has low attendance, many of the rooms are unreasonably unavailable. I suspect I have the 50th anniversary to thank for. I am hoping that by next May the virus situation will be down again, like it was this year. But if not, I will give up the room and cry, but for now I'm keeping myself positive.

I think anybody planning to stay onsite next year should probably book the room now just to be sure they can get the right room. But maybe it's all just a computer glitch and I'm being paranoid.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

View attachment 585731View attachment 585732
View attachment 585733
Well the 2nd half of our vacation and we've moved to the beach club, lol I'm sure some will be happy to hear we are paying cash for this room.
We love this resort primarily for its location. We walk to both Epcot and Hollywood studios. At the end of a long hot day FOR US, that alone is worth its weight in gold.
Off topic question but curious on your opinion, have you seen the updates to the yacht club lobby? Do you hope they bring that style to Beach club as well?

Skibum1970

We have been staying onsite for a number of years now. The only change will be that we will start staying a night or two at Universal's hotels to get the Express Pass for free. We stayed offsite for some of our first trips but kept running into issues with the rooms (ex. Mold, Cleanliness) that we haven't thus far experienced with Disney. Plus, for us, it is part of the fun of going and the ambiance of the resorts adds to the vacation. I realize that we could probably get a little more bang for our buck by staying offsite. However, using Dave's DVC Rentals or staying at the Moderate level, has helped us not break the vacation budget. Losing the Magical Express is a blow but I also like having a rental car available as it is typically faster to any of the parks except the Magic Kingdom.

So, I don't see us changing from staying at Disney.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Off topic question but curious on your opinion, have you seen the updates to the yacht club lobby? Do you hope they bring that style to Beach club as well?
20210914_085234.jpg

Love the new lobby but I think it's a great fit for the Yacht. The beach club is more like the laid back little sister
20210914_085256.jpg

The new decor is cleaner and lighter while still retaining the nautical feel
20210914_085244.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom