Why I will always stay on-site.

Nottamus

The best resort on property AKL Jambo.

we go (non covid years) 2 times a year and love it there! DVC.

we’ve stayed at other on property resorts, but none as relaxing and immersing as AKL

(having a 2 week trip coming up in November is going to be amazing!)

great pics

Hcalvert

Good morning gang
Currently here at the Animal kingdom lodge, sitting on the balcony and experiencing an outstanding peace from nature, I hear the soft sounds of African chanting being played, it is a magical way to start my day. This is what my vacations are for. Yes I am totally aware of what is available off site at a cheaper price. Some things for me are worth the cost. So I can safely say, YES people will stay on siteView attachment 584895View attachment 584896View attachment 584897

sorry for the grainy pictures, the files were too big and I had to resize themView attachment 584898
The only time I stayed offsite was my first time going to Disney as a kid. Since I returned as an adult, I have stayed at moderates then progressed to villas only. I love AKL's ambiance and it was particularly great to stay at Jambo when they reopened in July 2020. I barely saw anyone and it was so quiet. We didn't pay for a savannah view, but we got one anyways (albeit not in the main savannah). There was an ostrich there every morning to greet us and eventually he (?) brought a friend.

1630928323979.png
1630928405239.png

Ayla

Have a great time!

I still haven't figured out what, exactly, is at the root of those who are feeling priced out of Disney. On the one hand, there's a solution of 'go less often' and on the other is 'don't go', and I suspect the frustration by most people is that they're feeling like the value has diminished while the prices go up, so they don't like the 'don't go' solution... that it's unfair to them to have to even consider it. There's also something in all of it about the 'haves' and 'have nots' and people finding themselves in the latter category, especially as wage gaps have increased and cost of things like cars and food and housing have skyrocketed lately. The only channel for that frustration if to focus it on those who can afford to pay, who seem to be causing the hikes in costs of everything across the board.

Disney used to feel egalitarian. Now it doesn't. Not saying they were, but felt true.

I guess I wonder if those who are angered by this situation... if they suddenly inherited a large wad of cash if they'd change their minds about their 'don't go' solution and feel OK about suddenly being a 'have'.

I'll stay on site. I'm buying back in to DVC after a many year absence... buying from a third party rather than directly from Disney because the perks difference doesn't add up for me... so a calculated financial decision. I've taken into account the costs over time, the number of trips I'll take, etc... so worth it rather than rent points or pay the cost to Disney of a standard room or three. Also, with dining prices going up and quality going down, it's more cost effective to have a kitchen to prepare meals and eat in the room (I like to cook, as does my son-in-law). Also, my kids and their friends/partners that I travel with are concerned about costs, so this whole process lets them travel cheaply... next stay will be around $2500/pp for 10 days, which is 'all in' for flights, park tickets, food, lodging at Old Key West, car rental, occasional meals out, etc. and we save on things like parking fees (DVC), DME gone, and can get to the supermarket for food in the room. We'll have to see about budgeting for G+ and IAS once the need and numbers are revealed.

The reason for my post: those who think we're uninformed or looney or whatever for staying on property... I wanted to give an example of how, for me, I feel I can afford the trip and feel good about the expense and still stay in the Disney bubble. YMMV.
Generally speaking, by all metrics, we would fall into the 'haves' camp. I no longer feel WDW is a good value for our money. I have stayed onsite for 95% of my trips and will for my last one, only because it will be free due to rewards points. I'll have enough for a resort-only stay at a deluxe (or POFQ if it has been reopened by then) and enough to cover our food. There will be no parks and sadly, it will probably be my last visit.

So, yes, I can afford to pay for the price hikes and changes if I wanted to, but the problem for Disney is, I no longer wish to reward them for their recent choices.

AKL is a beautiful resort and our few stays there have been peaceful and relaxing. It is the most Disney-like resort, IMO.

SteveAZee

Generally speaking, by all metrics, we would fall into the 'haves' camp. I no longer feel WDW is a good value for our money. I have stayed onsite for 95% of my trips and will for my last one, only because it will be free due to rewards points. I'll have enough for a resort-only stay at a deluxe (or POFQ if it has been reopened by then) and enough to cover our food. There will be no parks and sadly, it will probably be my last visit.

So, yes, I can afford to pay for the price hikes and changes if I wanted to, but the problem for Disney is, I no longer wish to reward them for their recent choices.

AKL is a beautiful resort and our few stays there have been peaceful and relaxing. It is the most Disney-like resort, IMO.
It sounds like a good, reasoned approach to it all. Do you have children? Just wondering if they factor (one way or the other) in your decision.

Yeah, I think it's the last thing Disney wants... people who can afford to go but no longer will.

DfromATX

We've always stayed onsite! We have stayed in all categories, although I've never stayed in the super fancy ones lol (GF, Poly, and Contemp). I was one of those that said I would never not stay onsite... but that was before they started taking away the perks. The closest I'll be coming to staying off property will be when we go in January and staying at The Swan. Does that count? (I am pretty upset about all the recent changes, but I'm not going to get into that here. We all know what they are.)

Now that our kids are pretty much grown, we can afford nicer accommodations with just the two of us and we can go more often! Our kids keep asking when we are all going to go again... ummm when you can pitch in... 😂

Ayla

It sounds like a good, reasoned approach to it all. Do you have children? Just wondering if they factor (one way or the other) in your decision.

Yeah, I think it's the last thing Disney wants... people who can afford to go but no longer will.
Yes, both in their early 20's, and we are empty-nesters.

castlecake2.0

People saying they’re not going again, have you emailed Disney why? I know people get discouraged because you the standard letter back from guest relations, but your email does get forwarded to the right people I can guarantee it. If you just stop going someone else will probably take your place.

guest.services@disneyworld.com

John park hopper

Tried the email to Disney as many others did when they decided to charge for resort parking --got a standard reply and guess what they did it any way. It's like emailing your politicians --they do whatever they want.

Hcalvert

Tried the email to Disney as many others did when they decided to charge for resort parking --got a standard reply and guess what they did it any way. It's like emailing your politicians --they do whatever they want.
That is when I started booking through DVC. The price comes about a little bit more, but it is worth it.

Ayla

People saying they’re not going again, have you emailed Disney why? I know people get discouraged because you the standard letter back from guest relations, but your email does get forwarded to the right people I can guarantee it. If you just stop going someone else will probably take your place.

I have emailed about resort parking charges, the loss of DME, loss of EMH and moving to deluxe only extra hours, dropping the mask mandate and most recently, Genie+.

DfromATX

I mailed them an old fashioned letter and included all my contact info. This was before Genie+ when they announced extra hours for deluxe resort guests only, which was the final straw (or so I thought). Basically I explained that while we loved Disney, we had issues with all the nickel and diming and that I felt like they were excluding many of their loyal guests and I was upset about doing away with the ME, etc. I didn't know about Genie then, but I did tell them I hoped they wouldn't go to a paid system. I was respectful yet made my point. They emailed me back a typical fluffy response. I was surprised they replied at all, but I'm glad they did even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. At least I know someone read my letter.

And, just out of curiosity, I went online and started a chat with a cast member. I asked if they were aware of the backlash with Genie+ and he said, "Yes, we are very much aware." I was only curious and since there was no reason to badger the cast member, I said thank you and that was pretty much it. I can't imagine they aren't aware of the concerns about it. So, maybe if we ALL contact them, they will make some changes. Or maybe they don't actually care... I just feel like there's not enough people that will take action and complain. Eventually, it will be accepted and new visitors won't know the difference.

castlecake2.0

I mailed them an old fashioned letter and included all my contact info. This was before Genie+ when they announced extra hours for deluxe resort guests only, which was the final straw (or so I thought). Basically I explained that while we loved Disney, we had issues with all the nickel and diming and that I felt like they were excluding many of their loyal guests and I was upset about doing away with the ME, etc. I didn't know about Genie then, but I did tell them I hoped they wouldn't go to a paid system. I was respectful yet made my point. They emailed me back a typical fluffy response. I was surprised they replied at all, but I'm glad they did even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. At least I know someone read my letter.

And, just out of curiosity, I went online and started a chat with a cast member. I asked if they were aware of the backlash with Genie+ and he said, "Yes, we are very much aware." I was only curious and since there was no reason to badger the cast member, I said thank you and that was pretty much it. I can't imagine they aren't aware of the concerns about it. So, maybe if we ALL contact them, they will make some changes. Or maybe they don't actually care... I just feel like there's not enough people that will take action and complain. Eventually, it will be accepted and new visitors won't know the difference.
The team that replies (like you said it’s usually fluf) then forwards your feedback to all departments applicable. So as you said, people are reading them. If more people wrote to Disney instead of just in social media it could move the dial.

DfromATX

The team that replies (like you said it’s usually fluf) then forwards your feedback to all departments applicable. So as you said, people are reading them. If more people wrote to Disney instead of just in social media it could move the dial.

That's what I thought. I did my part!! We all need to slam them with complaints (but nicely). :)

UNCgolf

To be fair, Animal Kingdom Lodge is the one deluxe hotel on site that actually feels like its worth the price (or is at least close to it) just for the hotel itself. Grand Floridian was near that level once too, but all the recent changes have really downgraded it.

The others vary wildly in value (at least to me), but it generally feels like you're paying for the location more than the overall quality of the hotel.

The Mrs

The others vary wildly in value (at least to me), but it generally feels like you're paying for the location more than the overall quality of the hotel.
You are paying for the location. It's no different than the same house, same size yard, being totally different prices depending on where you live.

Hcalvert

To be fair, Animal Kingdom Lodge is the one deluxe hotel on site that actually feels like its worth the price (or is at least close to it) just for the hotel itself. Grand Floridian was near that level once too, but all the recent changes have really downgraded it.

I agree. I also think "value" for each person is based on location and family size/make-up. When my sons were younger, we liked staying at Poly a lot due to the proximity to Magic Kingdom. Now, Poly is getting more expensive, we have branched out. I thought I would love Wilderness Lodge, but to be honest, it was one of my least favorites. It might have been the room location though (I was by the DVC pool and people were really loud past 11pm). I never thought I would like the Boardwalk, but we stayed last time in June and we loved it! Only one of my sons go with us now and he is a teen, so we liked easy access to EPCOT at night, which makes the Boardwalk Villas more appealing to us now. My husband is addicted to the maple popcorn, so him and I would go for a walk each night to get some. For our upcoming June 2022 trip, we were able to book a studio at BWV for $240/night for 15 nights and OKW for this December during Christmas week at $225/night for 8 nights. The only time I get a moderate below that amount and pay daily parking is using my AP discount if it is available for my reservation window. Like I said in another post, I rather pay up to $50 more per night and stay at a villa.

UNCgolf

You are paying for the location. It's no different than the same house, same size yard, being totally different prices depending on where you live.

I think you missed my point.

Of course the location matters, but the hotels used to offer a higher quality experience overall while costing less. Location alone isn't really enough for the prices they're charging when you can stay somewhere a mile away for half as much.

The Mrs

I think you missed my point.

Of course the location matters, but the hotels used to offer a higher quality experience overall while costing less. Location alone isn't really enough for the prices they're charging when you can stay somewhere a mile away for half as much.
Oh I don't disagree that they "used to offer a higher quality experience".

I do disagree that the location isn't worth the price if it's the location that matters most to me and I have zero desire to stay a mile away at any price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom