Why Have People Put Up With Disney So Lazy and Cheap?

copcarguyp71

Why Have People Put Up With Disney So Lazy and Cheap?

We didn't and have been gone for three years. I can say that the first year we would have scheduled a trip was hard to get past but now it has started to wane and knowing that it would be a disappointment is keeping us away more and more. At some point even a gets tired of the hot wax LOL.

UpAllNight

There's always a massive pool of people who will visit for the first time, but how many of those leave unimpressed and return on their next trip 3 or 4 years down the line remains to be seen.

Normally theme parks need to invest and stay fresh and exciting, I've heard a lot of negativity amongst my Florida visiting friends about Disneyworld. I think they need to take a step back to analyse the current vacation experience they are providing. Quite simply, their underinvestment over the past 15 years is taking its toll....there aren't enough rides in ANY of the Florida parks. DHS and Epcot are worse than they were 15 years ago; people who don't go every year question "so what's new?"....and if you analyse it it's quite astonishing how little has changed.

I think criticism comes from our imaginations in that we know there's so many great ideas they could implement but what we are getting seems very underwhelming at the moment. I want to go on a ride and it blow my mind, Disney have done it in the past, Universal are doing it now...how long can it continue before the masses know Universal is the place to be? Maybe the best thing to happen would be for Universal to really go for Disney with this 3rd park; immersive Rollercoasters, nighttime show and fireworks, detailed family rides. That might awaken Disney further. I'll go on record as saying Avatar is looking exceptionally promising though and will have that wow factor that's been missing a while.

We criticise but there's few places in the world we'd all rather be :) Its still an amazing place, just needs a lot of TLC.

Kamikaze

Not everyone has. But it doesn't matter - they have enough people to go that the small minority that are not happy don't make a difference to the bottom line.

I haven't been since 2009. I've been to DLR, and was more than happy with the parks and how everything was run.

I will be going back to WDW in 2017 for Marathon weekend, but it might be my final trip there. I plan to go to SW Land at DLR, not WDW, unless its different.

EOD K9

Not everyone has. But it doesn't matter - they have enough people to go that the small minority that are not happy don't make a difference to the bottom line.

I haven't been since 2009. I've been to DLR, and was more than happy with the parks and how everything was run.

I will be going back to WDW in 2017 for Marathon weekend, but it might be my final trip there. I plan to go to SW Land at DLR, not WDW, unless its different.
Any idea how much different it would be? I'm not really talking layout, but attraction wise.

Kamikaze

I don't foresee SWL being much different between the two. Obviously a bit of design will be different due to the areas the lands are going into, but I think the only difference content-wise will be the location of Star Tours.

Killnme

My wife's and mine passes run out on the 15th and we won't be renewing for the first time in ten years. Can't see going up a level in price to keep the same level as I have today, when half of DHS is closed. The MK is always flooded with people and to me those people checking their minds on the monorail (the other parks are not as bad). It is a shame b/c next year is our 20th wedding anniversary and we thought about a Disney cruise but after checking the prices for a 3-4 night disney cruise we can do a week at an all inclusive resort, so we will be doing that instead.

I am going to miss some great CMs that I have met over the years like Carl, Gavin, Sarah and Bobby, but as the MM Club used to say Now It's Time to Say Goodbye.

bethymouse

:(:cry::arghh::bawling: We can't go every year like we used to. But, with all of the changes and additions ( SWL /Pixarland), I guess it's better to wait. I do want to visit when Avatarland is completed though. Perhaps 2017 some time? Disney is still one of the cleanest and nicest places to visit IMHO. We just can't afford it. Hopefully though they will work on EPCOT more than just Frozen and Soarin. Then eventually making Tomorrowland up-to -date ( beyond the 21st century).

216bruce

You have seen the average consumer lately, right? I mean someone is buying all the auto-tuned music, copycat network programs, repetitive, un-original superhero movies and blockbusters and making clickbait providers wealthy. So, a Disney park- even one that's an echo of what it once was- is going to look glorious compared to most of the crapola available as entertainment.

rkleinlein

Though Disney standards have fallen. . .

. . . the competition, Universal, has not quite yet risen to Disney standards--at least not consistently, or at least not according to perception. But I think this is changing.

. . . Disney are still the best family-friendly theme parks catering to those who do not like thrill rides (families with kids under 10 and grandparents), which are still the big draw at Universal. If younger children could ride the Harry Potter rides I think we would have seen many families shift from Disney to Universal. This was a huge lost opportunity for Universal and Disney is profiting from their mistake.

. . . the ticket price structure encourages longer stays (a six day ticket is about half the price (per day) of a one day ticket). I think most people come for the Magic Kingdom but because they are staying so long, also go to the lesser parks which they would not spend the time and money to visit otherwise. Hollywood, Epcot, even Animal Kingdom would fail spectacularly if they were stand-alone parks. Disney World itself would fail spectacularly if the Magic Kingdom did not exist.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
After booking a trip for later this month, I guess I am a perfect example of paying for lazy and cheap...

But there is just so much I love. I guess this answers my own quest
You have seen the average consumer lately, right? I mean someone is buying all the auto-tuned music, copycat network programs, repetitive, un-original superhero movies and blockbusters and making clickbait providers wealthy. So, a Disney park- even one that's an echo of what it once was- is going to look glorious compared to most of the crapola available as entertainment.
I think this is an interesting point.The average consumer seems to have been relegated to a smartphone carrying drone and Disney's products reflects this phenomenon.

Perfect example: Don't get me wrong...I like Toy Story Midway Mania, but it's not ToT, EE, Splash Mountain, or Kilimanjaro Safaris. It's essentially a 3D screen in a warehouse that keeps score.

Lately, this kind of attraction has been passed off as "E-Ticket."

David B

Or...we don't actually care all that much? I can't bring myself to get so terribly worked up about a theme park. As long as there's rides, bathrooms and places to eat, good enough to me.

Haha what!! You were being sarcastic, Right....? Haha "give me a rollercoaster and a bucket to pee in and I'm happy"

Goofyernmost

Haha what!! You were being sarcastic, Right....? Haha "give me a rollercoaster and a bucket to pee in and I'm happy"
Just like you guys to take everything to the extreme. I'm sure it didn't mean that at all. However, whether or not anyone cares to acknowledge it, Disney and Universal are more then theme parks or "amusement" parks. They are the Cadillac of those things, yes, even with what is perceived as a reduction in quality over the years. It is still a much higher standard then the run of the mill park. To belittle that is to say that what is there is garbage and worthy of ridiculing a person if they find what is there still enjoyable.

The real just of it is that with what is happening in the real world today, it is hard to get all upset because a trash can is full or a ride broke down or the cost is to high. We all know the cost before we even set foot in the place. If we still go, that is on us. A theme park, no matter how good it is or how bad it is, should not warrant the kind of passion or obsession that is shown for this. You know what the funniest part is? If Disney were to close down tomorrow there would be sadness coming from a lot of places, but, when put against life, liberty and happiness it doesn't deserve even the slightest bit of concern. Having some concern is, of course, part of a hobby and is acceptable to a degree, but, to feel that if someone disagrees with a myopic view of it is cause for belittlement, is beyond comprehension. Neither are right nor wrong in the general sense.

David B

Just like you guys to take everything to the extreme. I'm sure it didn't mean that at all. However, whether or not anyone cares to acknowledge it, Disney and Universal are more then theme parks or "amusement" parks. They are the Cadillac of those things, yes, even with what is perceived as a reduction in quality over the years. It is still a much higher standard then the run of the mill park. To belittle that is to say that what is there is garbage and worthy of ridiculing a person if they find what is there still enjoyable.

The real just of it is that with what is happening in the real world today, it is hard to get all upset because a trash can is full or a ride broke down or the cost is to high. We all know the cost before we even set foot in the place. If we still go, that is on us. A theme park, no matter how good it is or how bad it is, should not warrant the kind of passion or obsession that is shown for this. You know what the funniest part is? If Disney were to close down tomorrow there would be sadness coming from a lot of places, but, when put against life, liberty and happiness it doesn't deserve even the slightest bit of concern. Having some concern is, of course, part of a hobby and is acceptable to a degree, but, to feel that if someone disagrees with a myopic view of it is cause for belittlement, is beyond comprehension. Neither are right nor wrong in the general sense.

No belittlement here. I actually don't even think she meant what she said, anyone who spends that much money obviously does care about the quality of what they are getting, including me. Disney's corporate executives prey on customer's blind "compliance" to see how far they can go and what they can get away with. Do you have any idea how much they make off of us? Disney guests have a right, (and maybe even a responsibility) to be perfectionists.

Goofyernmost

No belittlement here. I actually don't even think she meant what she said, anyone who spends that much money obviously does care about the quality of what they are getting, including me. Disney's corporate executives prey on customer's blind "compliance" to see how far they can go and what they can get away with. Do you have any idea how much they make off of us? Disney guests have a right, (and maybe even a responsibility) to be perfectionists.
I understand, but, my point was that how terrible Disney (in general) and WDW (in particular) has become is totally objective. And I might add, that opinion is held by a very small minority and not that of the general populace. When all indicators seem to show that it is doing better, attendance wise, and profit wise it is hard to understand how all the armchair Disney management team seem to know better then the majority at this point. That is not to say, that it will last forever, but, what does?

Blind compliance is again a putdown on people that actually enjoy the experience. Because you don't does not make you right. The poster put in a simplistic statement which was followed by a specific putdown of their opinion, as simple as it was, is the usual over-reaction to a minor point just to seem above them in intelligence and taste. Blind compliance is no worse then blindly following an imagined level of excellence.

David B

I understand, but, my point was that how terrible Disney (in general) and WDW (in particular) has become is totally objective. And I might add, that opinion is held by a very small minority and not that of the general populace. When all indicators seem to show that it is doing better, attendance wise, and profit wise it is hard to understand how all the armchair Disney management team seem to know better then the majority at this point. That is not to say, that it will last forever, but, what does?

Blind compliance is again a putdown on people that actually enjoy the experience. Because you don't does not make you right. The poster put in a simplistic statement which was followed by a specific putdown of their opinion, as simple as it was, is the usual over-reaction to a minor point just to seem above them in intelligence and taste. Blind compliance is no worse then blindly following an imagined level of excellence.

You're just trying to argue. You generalize too much. First you say "it's just like you guys to take everything to the extreme", and now you're assuming that because I have some constructive criticism, that I don't enjoy Disney or love going there. I wouldn't care so much if it didn't have such an impact on me! It's possible to be critical of changes, and still love where you're going. In fact, I hope more people think like that, because customer feedback and response inevitably helps to shape a better Disney experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom