Why Does WDW Consider OBESITY a Disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms Tink

There are health conditions which cause obesity and preclude people from exercising, those people will have no trouble obtaining a form for handicapped parking and/or a wheelchair.
You don't interrogate, but if it's a big issue there are ways of controlling it.

One of the hardest things to regulate is medication for Hypothyroidism. Also a major cause of obesity even in people who excercise and eat moderate amounts of food.

When I was there last I saw heavier people who were marching along like troopers, then overheard someone say they just didn't want to do that much walking thus the ECV.. Well I guess you go where you don't have to walk so much?

inluvwithbeast

My gram is a independent and proud lady and when we asked her if she wanted a wheelchair/ECV when we went to WDW (she was 73?) she declined, declined, declined. She said she didn't want people looking at her like some fat old lady. Lol.

The walking and the heat were hard on her knees though and made the trip difficult for us all. I felt bad watching her struggle to keep up with the rest of us but she wouldn't let us slow down or stop for her. I understand why someone who does not have a disability per se besides being overweight would want to use an ECV. I don't have a problem with the ECVs in general. It just bothers me when they bulldoze their way through the crowd. That is a problem of manners, not ECVs themselves.

Dads 2 Boys

The whole country does. Not just Disney.

Unfortunately you're right and I also have to agree with rlm919 when he/she stated "I have never encountered someone who ate even moderately healthy with regular exercise that still was obese/ very overweight. Not saying it is impossible as I am sure such a condition exists but it is probably <5% of the obese population." I would have to say though it would be less than 2% of the population.

My fiancee and I were clinically defined as morbidly obese until last year and our trip in 2009 was very difficult due to our weight. Combined we were over 500lbs (and we're not tall people) and probably could have used the ECVs cuz of knee and back issues. After that trip is when we decided enough is enough. I promised myself I would never be "that guy" who couldn't ride a roller coaster with my kids cuz I couldn't fit. We are now combined under 350 and dropping. By the time we go in October, we'll be probably combined 330 max. I personally thank P90X for that!!!!!

The people who "become" obese after having a health problem use it as an excuse IMO. If you have healthy eating habits before a problem, you should have them after. Even if you are laid up for an extended period of time, if you eat healthy you will not gain a lot of weight.

And people aren't fat "because that's how their body is". The percentage of the population that are like this is less than one quarter of one percent.

Also, for people who have gotten to a point where they are what is called "super morbidly obese" they do have options. Gastric bypass is an option for them and could be the perfect option. But choose not to for one reason or another. Before anyone says "that's the easy way out", it's not. It's not the quick fix many people think it is, it's a lifestyle change....a very big lifestyle change for those who embrace it.

Lastly, I have ZERO issues with anyone using an ECV for whatever reason but IMO, they should not necessarily be given perks because of it. The person with 20 people in their party should not be able to board a bus with all 20 people in their party joining them ahead of the hundreds that have been waiting because they are in an ECV. They should have to wait in line just like everyone else....... for the buses and on all rides and attractions. If that was the case, I believe almost 100% of people wouldn't give a damn who was in an ECV.

Our society has become all about "not hurting people's feelings" by being honest and "everyone gets a trophy" and it does nothing but make things worse.

Tigger1988

The people who "become" obese after having a health problem use it as an excuse IMO. If you have healthy eating habits before a problem, you should have them after. Even if you are laid up for an extended period of time, if you eat healthy you will not gain a lot of weight.
You've obviously never encountered anyone with thyroid problems.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It seems to me that 98% of the posters in this thread citing percentages are pulling 27% of them out of the air and the other 73% out of their nether regions. :rolleyes:

Just not worth telling the intolerant to be tolerant...

Dads 2 Boys

You've obviously never encountered anyone with thyroid problems.

I have many times and there are medications that can help. Also, it's only one of the many symptoms related to thyroid problems (along with fatigue, depression, muscle cramps and about 15 other). And I wasn't even referring to thyroid issues.

To Monty....if are referring to me, I looked up the ones I was referring to and I am far sir from intolerant. If not.....sorry.

Tigger1988

I have many times and there are medications that can help. Also, it's only one of the many symptoms related to thyroid problems (along with fatigue, depression, muscle cramps and about 15 other). And I wasn't even referring to thyroid issues.
Then perhaps you should stop speaking in broad terms and painting large groups of people with the same brush.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Then perhaps you should stop speaking in broad terms and painting large groups of people with the same brush.

He is talking in broad terms because he does not know every single person who is over weight.

The fact is, MOST people are overweight because they eat poorly and do not exercise. Sorry that offends you, but it is true.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
To Monty....if are referring to me, I looked up the ones I was referring to and I am far sir from intolerant. If not.....sorry.
I was referring to no-one in particular, the line was intended entirely as humour.

As to intolerance, this entire thread is predicated on it. Whether you wish to believe you're included or not is entirely up to you. :shrug:

Dads 2 Boys

I was referring to no-one in particular, the line was intended entirely as humour.

As to intolerance, this entire thread is predicated on it. Whether you wish to believe you're included or not is entirely up to you. :shrug:

ok and definitely fair enough.

The Mom

Premium Member

I totally agree, and see no reason to allow the "discussion" continue. I feel sorry for people who have limited mobility, and have to use a scooter or wheelchair to do something that I can do easily, regardless of the cause. Are we to pick and choose which disabled people are worthy of compassion, and which are not?

I hope that most of us are better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom