Why Does WDW Consider OBESITY a Disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I'm sure this thread may ruffle a few feathers but I have to ask... why does WDW consider obesity to be a disability?

http://allears.net/tp/rid_wdw1.htm

My last trip in May I saw numerous people (and their entire parties) just rolling to the front of the line because one of their members was just fat. Anyone else slighly bothered by this?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm sure this thread may ruffle a few feathers but I have to ask... why does WDW consider obesity to be a disability?

http://allears.net/tp/rid_wdw1.htm

My last trip in May I saw numerous people (and their entire parties) just rolling to the front of the line because one of their members was just fat. Anyone else slighly bothered by this?

Why even start this discussion again?

rsoxguy

Let's see,

Soda
smiley-eatdrink014.gif

Popcorn
smiley-eatdrink062.gif

Oh, and some Micky D's
smiley-eatdrink028.gif

Alright everyone, I'm ready, discuss!

DisneyJoe

Anyone, not just the obese, in an ECV/wheelchair goes to the handicapped area of a ride/attraction - not always the front, BTW, in many cases they are in the far rear of the attraction.

Anyone can rent an ECV or wheelchair, you don't need to prove a disability.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Anyone, not just the obese, in an ECV/wheelchair goes to the handicapped area of a ride/attraction - not always the front, BTW, in many cases they are in the far rear of the attraction.

Anyone can rent an ECV or wheelchair, you don't need to prove a disability.

I have noticed that... thats a major issue in my book

sbkline

I will also caution that sometimes, people are just fat because that's how their body is, and it has nothing to do with overeating. Some people are just naturally big, or have some kind of abnormality in their body which causes their body to bloat up, or not burn calories like it should, or whatever. My Grandma was pretty big and it wasn't due to overeating. She had some other issue which caused he to "puff out" so to speak. So it's not always so simple as "this person pigs out and now he's fat".

Ms Tink

If you're interested and have time on your hands:ROFLOL: you can read up on HIPAA guidelines.
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/privacysummary.pdf

Health care providers, Health plans etc. Additionally it specifically addresses any of those providers who transmit any claims, information etc electronically.
The key word is covered entities.
This situation would be similar to the MVD requiring documentation and a form completed by the person's physician to acquire a handicapped license or placard.

p.s. why not just ask for that documentation that is given to the person with their placard (done to reduce fraudulent usage :lol:)

Lucky

It's not practicable to interrogate people on why they're in an ECV. Everyone would at least mention some issue with their back, knees or something, & you can't tell them that's not really a health issue because it was caused by eating too much. Some people become obese partly through inactivity following a health problem.

rlm919

I will also caution that sometimes, people are just fat because that's how their body is, and it has nothing to do with overeating. Some people are just naturally big, or have some kind of abnormality in their body which causes their body to bloat up, or not burn calories like it should, or whatever. My Grandma was pretty big and it wasn't due to overeating. She had some other issue which caused he to "puff out" so to speak. So it's not always so simple as "this person pigs out and now he's fat".

I have never encountered someone who ate even moderately healthy with regular exercise that still was obese/ very overweight. Not saying it is impossible as I am sure such a condition exists but it is probably <5% of the obese population.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom