Why does Disney Stop the Monorail even as the park closes for extra magic hours ?

Jonnydanger

Original Poster
Why does Disney shut down the monorail when the park is closing for people with extra magic hours? The people waiting in front of me in the bus line could easily fill up at least 2 mono rails.

When Epcot closed the other night and there were tons of people pouring out of the park(one of the most crowded days I've ever seen by the way", the Momorail was closed in Epcot(however was still running on Magic kingdom-resorts) I was forced to wait forever for a bus which then had issues with a wheel scooter unable to load in the bus. Long story short, I was crammed into a bus like a sardine with enough people in the line to easily fill up 2 monorails.

I got out at the first hotel it stopped at and cached the monorail on the other track back to my hotel. So much wasted time and discomfort by them closing the monorail especially with so many people exiting the park as well as the magic kingdom monorail still open.

Why do they do this? Just poor planning? They know if extra magic hours let out at 11PM for Epcot, there is going to be a lot of people returning and in need of transportation.

Perhaps they are not taking the crowds into consideration when they decide to shut down the monorail? I'm not sure but a lot of people were upset that the monorail was not running especially when you try to look up the schedule and you usually get an answer like " 1 hour after park closing" or something to that effect.

I really hope there is a legit reason for this and its not just a middle finger to the hotel guest(who are spending a lot of money to be there on top of the park tickets)

Berret

In the Parks
No
This is my entirely non-CM opinion on the subject. I really don't think it's a "middle finger to the hotel guest" as you said. Even if there were, as you said, two monorails worth of guests waiting for a bus, Disney has to think about its labor and other costs in regards to how it deploys transportation. Even though there may be a lot of guests at EMH at Epcot, I doubt that it equals the number of guests that would be at the park during the day. Consequently, while you're inconvenienced by having to wait longer to get back to your hotel, I would guess Disney feels it's a more efficient use of staffing and resources to only run buses after the hours are over. There are possibly other considerations that management must consider and deal with as well, which you as a guest are not and would not be made aware of. Believe me, I get it, that happened to me at Magic Kingdom, and it sucks. However, I know enough about business to know that Disney is not doing it to slight you or any other guest just because it can.

Jonnydanger

Original Poster
You are saying this has happen to you as well? Staying for the extra magic hours and returning to the hotel only to find a closed monorail and a large crowd of people in need of transportation?

As far as crowd levels, several CM have said that they don't understand why it was so crowded that day and they were understaffed. Soaring had almost a 3 hour wait even with 3 theaters so give you an idea. Even during extra magic hours, I could not even get on the frozen ride. I think people who were there during the hurricane may have extended their stay or something.

When you have to line up like 3 buses(and more coming) in a row and fill so many people in that your face is in the back of the head of the guy in front of you while standing, its not cool. Its starts to feel like one of those African or Indian buses with people hanging out of the window and on the roof, LOL.

Disney is suppose to have the reputation of going the extra mile even with little things. You really noticed it when you go to stay at Universal studios then travel to Disney world after how many little things Disney gets right and that are overlooked by universal studios/seaworld.

Running that mono-rail for another 10 minutes could have cut that crowd in half and running for another 20 minutes would have cleared out the bulk of it leaking the stragglers for the bus in which most people can get a seat.

Also, there is really no excuse for not publishing the monorail close times. If someone said that it will run 1 hour after park closing, I don't know if that includes extra magic hours, not-so-scary-Halloween party, Christmas party, and other events in which they park will stay open. Saying that the monorail closes at 10:00 PM is much more useful information.

My guess is that they are trying to hide the information about extra magic hours from non-hotel guest but end up upsetting hotel guest who are shocked to find out they closed the main transportation right as the park is closing for them. Just like they refuse to tell you when you ticket expires. They will say " expires 6 months from first use" however not tell you if a month= 30 days, or actual month/leap year, if it includes the day you use it as day 0 or day 1,etc.. I was planing a vacation and knew it expired at the end of a particular month but they refused to tell me which day it expired. It has to do with hiding the information so people can't sell the tickets and have the new buyers confirm they are working however ends up messing up planning a trip.

Its possible the transportation at Disney may not realize how crowded the park is getting during the extra magic hours? I don't know however if they send me a survey, I will try to let them know. I hope other people who get a survey will also let them know.

Its one of those things have you scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking.

21stamps

You are saying this has happen to you as well? Staying for the extra magic hours and returning to the hotel only to find a closed monorail and a large crowd of people in need of transportation?

As far as crowd levels, several CM have said that they don't understand why it was so crowded that day and they were understaffed. Soaring had almost a 3 hour wait even with 3 theaters so give you an idea. Even during extra magic hours, I could not even get on the frozen ride. I think people who were there during the hurricane may have extended their stay or something.

When you have to line up like 3 buses(and more coming) in a row and fill so many people in that your face is in the back of the head of the guy in front of you while standing, its not cool. Its starts to feel like one of those African or Indian buses with people hanging out of the window and on the roof, LOL.

Disney is suppose to have the reputation of going the extra mile even with little things. You really noticed it when you go to stay at Universal studios then travel to Disney world after how many little things Disney gets right and that are overlooked by universal studios/seaworld.

Running that mono-rail for another 10 minutes could have cut that crowd in half and running for another 20 minutes would have cleared out the bulk of it leaking the stragglers for the bus in which most people can get a seat.

Also, there is really no excuse for not publishing the monorail close times. If someone said that it will run 1 hour after park closing, I don't know if that includes extra magic hours, not-so-scary-Halloween party, Christmas party, and other events in which they park will stay open. Saying that the monorail closes at 10:00 PM is much more useful information.

My guess is that they are trying to hide the information about extra magic hours from non-hotel guest but end up upsetting hotel guest who are shocked to find out they closed the main transportation right as the park is closing for them. Just like they refuse to tell you when you ticket expires. They will say " expires 6 months from first use" however not tell you if a month= 30 days, or actual month/leap year, if it includes the day you use it as day 0 or day 1,etc.. I was planing a vacation and knew it expired at the end of a particular month but they refused to tell me which day it expired. It has to do with hiding the information so people can't sell the tickets and have the new buyers confirm they are working however ends up messing up planning a trip.

Its possible the transportation at Disney may not realize how crowded the park is getting during the extra magic hours? I don't know however if they send me a survey, I will try to let them know. I hope other people who get a survey will also let them know.

Its one of those things have you scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking.

I'm confused, the monorail was closed after normal park hours? Were the boats still open?

Goofyernmost

I have to wonder what a person who sees other buses waiting to load would get on a bus that required that they pack in like sardines. You could have waited for a less crowded bus. However, you made the decision to get on an overcrowded bus and are now complaining that Disney made you do it. Their crowded bus preventer was that line of other buses waiting (with others coming) to load up.

P.S. 3 hour wait at Soarin is having a difficult time penetrating my BS detector too.

21stamps

I have to wonder what a person who sees other buses waiting to load would get on a bus that required that they pack in like sardines. You could have waited for a less crowded bus. However, you made the decision to get on an overcrowded bus and are now complaining that Disney made you do it. Their crowded bus preventer was that line of other buses waiting (with others coming) to load up.

P.S. 3 hour wait at Soarin is having a difficult time penetrating my BS detector too.

Or just cab it or Uber.

I would like to know though, does the Epcot monorail always close with normal park hours?

Goofyernmost

Or just cab it or Uber.

I would like to know though, does the Epcot monorail always close with normal park hours?
I don't know and no one has brought up the idea that perhaps there was a problem, like a breakdown, on the line and the Epcot line, in particular cannot operate if one part of the rail is blocked. I honestly have never heard that complaint in the past, so I'm thinking that it was perhaps a fluke instead of a Disney Finger of Fate situation.

Polydweller

I've experienced this a few times. If there is a problem on the Epcot line they have no choice but to revert to bus service. Inconvenient yes but they've got to get you back. I wouldn't jump to the middle finger conclusion. But look at the possibility of breakdown which does happen. I'm with goofyernmost on this, you just ran into a breakdown is my guess.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why does Disney shut down the monorail when the park is closing for people with extra magic hours? The people waiting in front of me in the bus line could easily fill up at least 2 mono rails.

When Epcot closed the other night and there were tons of people pouring out of the park(one of the most crowded days I've ever seen by the way", the Momorail was closed in Epcot(however was still running on Magic kingdom-resorts) I was forced to wait forever for a bus which then had issues with a wheel scooter unable to load in the bus. Long story short, I was crammed into a bus like a sardine with enough people in the line to easily fill up 2 monorails.

I got out at the first hotel it stopped at and cached the monorail on the other track back to my hotel. So much wasted time and discomfort by them closing the monorail especially with so many people exiting the park as well as the magic kingdom monorail still open.

Why do they do this? Just poor planning? They know if extra magic hours let out at 11PM for Epcot, there is going to be a lot of people returning and in need of transportation.

Perhaps they are not taking the crowds into consideration when they decide to shut down the monorail? I'm not sure but a lot of people were upset that the monorail was not running especially when you try to look up the schedule and you usually get an answer like " 1 hour after park closing" or something to that effect.

I really hope there is a legit reason for this and its not just a middle finger to the hotel guest(who are spending a lot of money to be there on top of the park tickets)

According to this, they are supposed to run until the end of EMH.

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...tart-stop-running-run-late-epcot-extra-78064/

Maybe there was a problem on the Epcot line that night, or they were doing maintenance.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Transportation Budget as it takes a LOT of people to make the Monorails run, Once Disney has your money they don't really care about your experience any longer. And yes it IS a middle finger to the guest ESPECIALLY those who ponied up the extra cash to stay in a Monorail Resort. And this is a RECENT thing because for most of WDW's history the Monorails ran till after the parks closed just like the buses.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

It's NOT hard, Transportation has a budget for each day's operations and they get dinged if they exceed it, It's important to remember that WDW NOW is a bunch of COMPETING business units none of whom have any incentive to 'help' other business units.
so Transportation got the job done with the lowest cost method which of course was buses.

Back in the 'Old' days Transportation would have brought out everything they had to clear the park but now their managers would be dinged for exceeding the day's financial plan where back in the 'Old' Days (pre-Iger/Bad Eisner) Transportation would have been instructed to 'Get the Guests home fastest possible means'

It's hard to criticize Transportation as they are just going by the rules set by 'The Powers that Be', It's however VERY easy to criticize TDO management who allowed this situation to occur.

Raineman

Those of us who can't yet afford to stay in a deluxe resort on the monorail loop are the ones who always have to shove ourselves into jam packed buses, so forgive me if I don't feel sorry for you. Waiting for & riding on full buses is something that the majority of WDW resort guests deal with every day, so I think you're preaching to the wrong crowd here. I understand your concern over the monorail closing, but complaining about riding a packed bus? Suck it up.

21stamps

Those of us who can't yet afford to stay in a deluxe resort on the monorail loop are the ones who always have to shove ourselves into jam packed buses, so forgive me if I don't feel sorry for you. Waiting for & riding on full buses is something that the majority of WDW resort guests deal with every day, so I think you're preaching to the wrong crowd here. I understand your concern over the monorail closing, but complaining about riding a packed bus? Suck it up.
I think the OP's rant is a little over the top.. But why would you respond like that?

People stay at a monorail resort for convenience. That's why they pay such ridic prices.

I would be annoyed if the monorail wasn't working, but I wouldn't wait for hours, I'd just take a taxi. Not ideal, and I wouldn't do it for everywhere I went, but it was the best option in the OP's scenario.

I am afraid of monorail closures on my own trip after being told that my reservation "was flagged with a monorail note of possible closures" hoping for the best!

Last edited:

wdwfan22

Disney publishes the monorail operating times in a times guide that is given to guest upon check in. You can also get it at various places through the resort. it's also common for the monorails to close before the end of the evening magic hours or at the end. I've taken busses back to the grand Floridian from Magic kingdom many of times. You should have checked the operating schedule if you wanted to ride back that bad.

21stamps

Disney publishes the monorail operating times in a times guide that is given to guest upon check in. You can also get it at various places through the resort. it's also common for the monorails to close before the end of the evening magic hours or at the end. I've taken busses back to the grand Floridian from Magic kingdom many of times. You should have checked the operating schedule if you wanted to ride back that bad.
Eek. Take a boat next time!

Berret

In the Parks
No
Another thing I just thought of, which is in regards to those who say that the monorail is supposed to run during Extra Magic Hours. The last time I went to Disney, it was on my "familymoon" with my wife and stepson in June of 2014. One of the nights there, they had EMH for Magic Kingdom from 12am to 3am. I can tell you that the monorail had long-since ceased to run by the time we got out of there, which was not that long after 3. I don't know if things were different or have since changed, but to my knowledge, the Monorails on the Resort Loop had stopped running two hours after the normal closing time, which I think was per usual. We had a pretty bad experience waiting for a bus, because they apparently forgot there were still guests at Magic Kingdom, and I think we waited about an hour for them to finally scrounge one up for everyone still waiting. Needless to say, we didn't get up early the next day. However, we still love Disney and still will go back when we can.

cdeev8690

Hahah sorry I just have to laugh. I understand the frustrations of the OP but it's basically a given for those of us who stay at Values/Moderates that we will have to deal with overcrowded buses and extensive wait times when leaving parks at closing. I haven't been able to afford the luxury of staying at a monorail resort either, although I'm sure I would also become a little spoiled with the various transportation services amongst other things, but it sorta is what it is. Although there was a long wait and you were on a crowded bus, it was only for one stop and then you jumped on a monorail back to your resort which sounds like a better scenario than those of us who have to stand on the overcrowded bus after a 12-hour park day until we reach our final destination, sometimes 15 minutes later. If it was just the one time you had a long wait for a bus during your stay, I'd say that you were pretty lucky. I get that those of you who do stay at Deluxe resorts have spent quite a bit of cash for those accommodations and services, but we all need to take a breath and see the bigger picture. You're very fortunate that you were able to afford the trip you took. I'm sorry for the minor hiccup but I doubt I ruined your stay, right?

ABQ

According to this, they are supposed to run until the end of EMH.

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...tart-stop-running-run-late-epcot-extra-78064/

Maybe there was a problem on the Epcot line that night, or they were doing maintenance.
Obviously one would hope the Moms Panel would have accurate info, as their site it Disney sanctioned, however, and I'm not saying one is right or wrong, I don't know, but what appears to be accurate is something posted on All Ears:

TRANSPORTATION NOTE: The Monorail is currently operating on a fixed schedule not dependent on park hours. The Magic Kingdom Resort beam runs from 8:30 a.m. to midnight; the Magic Kingdom Express beam runs from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.; and the Epcot beam runs from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.Extra buses and watercraft will run during the Monorail's downtimes to provide additional transportation options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom