Why does Disney still have this?

Rob562

I still send postcards. Sometimes you can't beat the "hey, I got something in the mail that wasn't junk mail or a bill" feeling that a physical object gives over an email, text or cell phone pic. I often seek out the resort-specific ones at the hotel gift shops.

In fact, postcards have kinda become my "thing" of late. I've always been one to send a hand-written thank you note after parties or weekend visits to friends, but lately I've been sending my thank-you's on old still-unused postcards.

I've also started using a service called Touchnote (available as both an app on your phone and their website). For $1.49 you can upload a photo from your phone or computer, add a message and it'll print out and snail-mail a high-quality postcard to whoever you want. I sent a pic of myself standing in front of Expedition Everest to my sister last month, and to taunt my roommate a pic of my group in front of the Boma sign. ;)

-Rob

NiarrNDisney

I also still send post cards every trip! I figure that they are a great souvenir for my friends and family and who doesnt love to get mail especially when its not bills.

I do however agree with the Pay Phones honestly what family doesnt have at least one cell phone these days?
Also whats up with the Pop Gallery, sure I have gone in to check it out and get out of the cold but I have never seen one person purchase anything from this place! Everything is so over priced and in some instances so ugly and pointless to own I just boggles my mind as to why its still there.

Tom Morrow

Camera stores - they don't really care much film beyond disposable cameras. They mostly sell merchandise and photopass stuff now.

Pay phones - Is it some sort of building code requirement or something? Otherwise they should definitely be replaced by charging stations.

Water Pageant - Kind of pointless, but also harmless.

Post cards - probably still exist as collectors items, I doubt many people actually mail them anymore.

Pop Art store - I've actually wondered recently how many tourist gift shops around Orlando are actually fronts. Those tacky stores on 192 can't possibly make enough to stay in business.

DisneyQuest - all of the "attractions" are pretty awful. I still think its better than Dave and Busters, though.

NYwdwfan

I send postcards too - in fact - i print out recipient address labels and buy stamps at home and then the kids spend a quiet few minutes in the hotel writing notes to their friends. And I always enjoy a little "sinister giggle" in my head as I drop them in the mailbox thinking of how it's going to make the recipient a wee but jealous!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
People at home really enjoy receiving postcards from Disney. My sister even has a "gallery" of the postcards, hung up with magnets on the side of her refrigerator, that I've sent over the years. As others have mentioned, it's really fun for people to receive a cheerful piece of mail, other than bills!

JohnD

The writer wants to have it both ways. He laments losing the nostalgia of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, 20,000 Leagues, and the skyway but is all too ready to rip out the water pageant and have post cards, pay phones, and film go the way of the dinosaur.

I like sending postcards too. I have a different take on the pay phone. With millions of people in the parks year after year, someone is going to have a cell phone that doesn't work, so I would be grateful for a reliable old-fashioned land line.

Uncle Remus

I send postcards from Disney to younger children in our family. Cousins, nieces, nephews. A lot of them on my wifes side live out of state and its the only piece of Disney they come in contact with. Plus its old school and gives them something tangible to hold onto. Not to mention its fun for a kid to get something in the mail. Its a nice surprise being that they never do. They feel important. That and the fact when they are at the age of learning to read its a neat little teaching tool and they tend to read it over and over.

ImagineerDude

We buy postcards every trip! We don't mail them, but we keep them or give them to my grandparents when we get back or just put them in the scrapbook.

I feel like this guy was just naming all the things that make Disney charming, but making them sound horrible.

So the pay phones...what if your phone goes dead and you don't have your charger? I have used the pay phones once in the parks with my dad before I had a phone or he even took his phone into the parks. And because I loved taking pictures my mom bought me one of those little Kodak plastic cameras so one of those camera stores might have been helpful then, but maybe not so much nowadays.

And just stopping the water pageant and throwing it in the dumpster? That's like doing that to a classic attraction or parade in Magic Kingdom! Oh wait.... And sure, maybe people aren't booking the MK resorts for this little nighttime spectacular, but what about the people paying $40 a pop for a late Chef Mickey's dinner, or Ohana, Cali Grill, Kona, the Wave, Narcoossee's, Citricos, Victoria and Albert's, any of them, and they happen to walk out on the dock to head back for EMH at MK and they see a sea creatures and a giant patriotic spectacal over the lagoon, and then they come back to share it generation after generation, ultimately given Disney more $$$

As for DisneyQuest, I've never been so I can't say, but anyone I've ever personally talked to has loved it, especially Cyber Space Mountain.

kane47

The electrical water pageant s Disney World. I grew up watching it sail by. Of all my memories as a child at I can remember this the most vivid. It is something I have shared with my child and still enjoy. It is important to keep some of the little things in this ever changing world. As with everything I have been both happy and sad with certain changes at DW. If this one ever went away it might be the straw that broke the camels back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom