Why do you think people still go to WDW?

MickeyLuv'r

WDW itself often steers us through their policies. I think of the WDW rental strollers. For a time, renting was inexpensive, but, I daresay, the habit got a bit out of hand. Stroller parking contributed considerably to park walkway congestion.

Then WDW decided they'd had enough, and raised the price dramatically. Forum members protested!

Yet, lo and behold. WDW stroller rentals were drastically reduced.

In the before times, I talked to a number of folks about WDW, but never told anyone to go or not to go; it isn't a good fit for everyone. If they were going and wanted info, I'd gladly help them come up with a strategy that worked for how they wanted to tour. Right now though, I'm just not socializing the way I did a year ago. Zoom conversations just aren't the same!

As it happens, I talked WDW strategy with someone in Feb 2019, but most of the conversation centered on WDW's cancelation policies, and something that seemed somewhat unlikely at the time, "Is it possible WDW would ever close during spring break for a pandemic?"

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Brand recognizability and recommendation. The qulaity and reputation built up from 1955 to the 1990s is so vast that it would take a century's worth of awful decisions to undo. Or continuos price increases that prove to be too much for even the diehards.

ToTBellHop

Because they still
1609788141728.gif

do the magic. And some people need that.

plawren2

Happy New Year,

Very basic question, reading through some threads it would seem that Disney is just bad yet folks still come. So why do you think it's still an attractive vacation destination?

Edited to add:. More geared toward the new comer, I know the huge fan will discuss the parks more critically. I guess a better question for the more serious fan could be would you recommend a trip to Disney to a friend.
For us it is still an enjoyable trip and tradition, we can do what we like and also take in new attractions and events (just booked for Nov 2021, first trip since 2016 but have 10+ lifetime). I think its attractive to many folks for plenty of reasons, you can see and do a lot if you like experiences and activity but can go at your own pace. But will agree it has gotten busier and also more complex and challenging to plan a trip. And yes I have recommended to friends and provided some basic advice for first time visitors planning a trip, especially families with young kids as we did those visits for many years.

Goofyernmost

Happy New Year,

Very basic question, reading through some threads it would seem that Disney is just bad yet folks still come. So why do you think it's still an attractive vacation destination?

Edited to add:. More geared toward the new comer, I know the huge fan will discuss the parks more critically. I guess a better question for the more serious fan could be would you recommend a trip to Disney to a friend.
The new comer goes because, number one, they don't even know these chat boards exist. Number two is that it has become a rite of passage, almost a requirement, to bring your kids to WDW. Third is that reputation of Disney. Those that are not as involved in Disney as we are, only know of the reputation of anything Disney, family related.

The bigger question is why do they ever go back. I cannot image how any newbie would ever be able to manage to properly fulfill the required planning that is now required for a simple trip to a theme park. I can imagine that the kids think it is great but the parents live in a world of quiet desperation and confusion about what they should do next. I started out that way when WDW was much, much smaller. I took my family in February 1983, just a few months after EPCOT Ctr. opened. No fastpasses, no ADR, just free flowing lines that had a wait but generally not much more overall time was spent in those lines then people do now that they are led into thinking the Fastpass saves them time. If that is possible it is only those that have been their often and know the lay of the land can really manage to get enough FP's to make a difference. I didn't have that frustration because I had done no research on WDW before I went other then have friends that had been telling me about it, very vaguely. I can see myself never going again if I had to deal with the stuff that is happening now.

NickMaio

Happy New Year,

Escapism, denial, and escapism......people are craving a break from the everyday BS.

MickeyLuv'r

The new comer goes because, number one, they don't even know these chat boards exist. Number two is that it has become a rite of passage, almost a requirement, to bring your kids to WDW. Third is that reputation of Disney. Those that are not as involved in Disney as we are, only know of the reputation of anything Disney, family related.

The bigger question is why do they ever go back. I cannot image how any newbie would ever be able to manage to properly fulfill the required planning that is now required for a simple trip to a theme park. I can imagine that the kids think it is great but the parents live in a world of quiet desperation and confusion about what they should do next. I started out that way when WDW was much, much smaller. I took my family in February 1983, just a few months after EPCOT Ctr. opened. No fastpasses, no ADR, just free flowing lines that had a wait but generally not much more overall time was spent in those lines then people do now that they are led into thinking the Fastpass saves them time. If that is possible it is only those that have been their often and know the lay of the land can really manage to get enough FP's to make a difference. I didn't have that frustration because I had done no research on WDW before I went other then have friends that had been tell me about it, very vaguely. I can see myself never going again if I had to deal with the stuff that is happening now.
I agree, except newer visitors also have the option of taking some shortcuts. While they might not come to this forum, it isn't hard to find say, a paid service that will provide you with a touring schedule.

(I have certainly met a number of folks who were one and done for assorted reasons.)

An interesting sidebar, is how many first time combo trippers have said touring Universal is much easier, and that that's why they ended up liking it better or more than they thought they would. In my opinion, Universal's been working hard to win (more) people over to their property over the past few years.

Goofyernmost

I agree, except newer visitors also have the option of taking some shortcuts. While they might not come to this forum, it isn't hard to find say, a paid service that will provide you with a touring schedule.

(I have certainly met a number of folks who were one and done for assorted reasons.)

An interesting sidebar, is how many first time combo trippers have said touring Universal is much easier, and that that's why they ended up liking it better or more than they thought they would. In my opinion, Universal's been working hard to win (more) people over to their property over the past few years.
I like both WDW and Universal, but I do now look more forward to going to Universal than WDW. It just seems easier.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Why do you do anything?
LOL Chef usually when I ask that it's the "morning after" and I'm holding my head in my hand asking "Why"?? ;)

anyhoo, you are correct in that there has to be some degree of affection and desire, I guess you could expand on the question and rephrase it as, "with all the other vacation options, why do people still pick Disney".

for my family it's pound for pound still the best vacation value out there. It's truly one of the few places that the entire family engages in and engages with each other without the outside world encroaching. One of the few places where my 20-somethings will disconnect from their phones.
It renews us.

Would I recommend it to a first timer? that would depend, I have some friends who Disney would be a disaster. The price increases actually don't bother me, I think it's because I live in a very high cost of living part of the country, lol 2.50 for a bottle of water or coke is pretty routine around here. I do think the uber planning is a very big disadvantage and don't see that as getting better any time soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom