Why do you stay off site?

WDWMPrincess

What do you do when you stay at WBC and don’t do Disney?

Orlando has so much to do that is not Disney.

Harry Potter Land oops excuse me Universal
Busch Gardens
Sea World
Chocolate Museum (they had me at "Chocolate". :hilarious:)
Gatorland
Wonderworks hands on science for the kids
airboat tours in the Everglades
Cirgue Magique has a dinner show
The Aquarium
Numerous water parks
Congo River Adventures
Green Meadows petting farm
rides on giant cart things in the Florida Nature Preserve
two sets of outlets for shopping if that's your thing
mystery dinner shows
Orlando Art Museum
golfing
Fun Spot go-karts
Giant Ferris Wheel
Pirate's Cove Adventure Mini-golf
Crayola
Lake Eola paddle boats
Animal Experience where they introduce you to the local critters
Space Camp and Kennedy Space Center
water activities in numerous locations such as paddle boarding and jet skis
several options to swim with dolphins
Swim with Manatees
horseback riding in several locations including horseback tours of the Everglades grasslands
helicopter tours
Orlando Science Center
Titanic artifacts exhibit
La Nouba Cirque Du Soleil
Blue Man Group
Medieval Times
Pirate's Adventure Dinner
iFly
Escapology
Drive NASCAR
Zombie Outbreak
Off Roading
several Zip Line adventures

I'm sure I've missed a few things but you get the idea.

LSLS

We started having some stays off site due to pricing. Not that we can't afford most the hotels in WDW, but the quality of rooms had greatly depreciated (grounds weren't as clean, rooms weren't as clean, etc.). We overlooked a lot due to bus service (even though we drive, we don't like driving to the parks). We tried the Hilton Buena Vista one trip (it was cheaper than a value and since we needed two rooms, figured why not give it a try). Gorgeous hotel, great pool, and the bus service was outstanding. Not to mention the rooms were like 100 sq ft larger than the deluxe rooms at WDW. Followed this up with a HORRIBLE stay at AoA, and then they added parking fees (which was a large reason I didn't like offsite, just the principle of the thing). I honestly will be surprised if we ever stay on site again.

Dunston

Orlando has so much to do that is not Disney.

Harry Potter Land oops excuse me Universal
Busch Gardens
Sea World
Chocolate Museum (they had me at "Chocolate". :hilarious:)
Gatorland
Wonderworks hands on science for the kids
airboat tours in the Everglades
Cirgue Magique has a dinner show
The Aquarium
Numerous water parks
Congo River Adventures
Green Meadows petting farm
rides on giant cart things in the Florida Nature Preserve
two sets of outlets for shopping if that's your thing
mystery dinner shows
Orlando Art Museum
golfing
Fun Spot go-karts
Giant Ferris Wheel
Pirate's Cove Adventure Mini-golf
Crayola
Lake Eola paddle boats
Animal Experience where they introduce you to the local critters
Space Camp and Kennedy Space Center
water activities in numerous locations such as paddle boarding and jet skis
several options to swim with dolphins
Swim with Manatees
horseback riding in several locations including horseback tours of the Everglades grasslands
helicopter tours
Orlando Science Center
Titanic artifacts exhibit
La Nouba Cirque Du Soleil
Blue Man Group
Medieval Times
Pirate's Adventure Dinner
iFly
Escapology
Drive NASCAR
Zombie Outbreak
Off Roading
several Zip Line adventures

I'm sure I've missed a few things but you get the idea.
MONKEY JUNGLE

WDWMPrincess

Disney has come to the point where its pricing is built on the once-in-a-lifetime trip takers being somewhat immune to yearly jumps in price for most things across the board at the resort. They have nothing to compare the costs too since they have never done it and no reason to hold off on paying it because they'll never do it again. Star Wars is looming large for 2020 (lets be honest about the full opening date) and 2018/2019 isn't nearly as appealing to the percentage of 1st timers and 1-in-a-lifetime visitors. That leaves Disney with frequent visitors and passholders who will always hold them to much higher standards. A problem there is that these people are super sensitive to petty stuff like resort parking charges where Disney just went for a quick cash grab. Now the people that assumed they would always go and have unchallenged love for WDW are blinking real hard at handing over whatever amount of cash Disney decides they want this year to let them have access to their memories and happy places.

There is also the issue of Universal building up a similar vacation package option down the road. This (theoretically) cuts Disney's ability to raise prices at-will moving forward as there is now a 'substitute' good of comparable value (this is obviously highly subjective in our Disney messageboard world) for a price which is, historically, not as high. I realize they are building most of this new pricing into the Star Wars land development but the accompanying effects to the rest of the resort will be felt in many ways yet to be seen.

I guess this has always been a 'shut up and take my money' scenario for a lot of people that want to visit. I do think we have reached a point where pricing effects will put more stress on attendance than variable-rate pricing will be able to smooth into 'nothing to see here' territory. The true test will be July when crowd levels reach their historic high-points.

I've got a friend that is general manager of a more local theme park to me. According to him Disney is the master of squeezing the last dime out of attendees. I don't mind things like fees for character dinners but charging people who are already shelling out for the immersive experience an additional fee for parking seems like a pretty blatant cash grab. It does figure into why we'll be staying off site, but only nominally.

As far as it goes I have to agree Universal does seem to be moving in a direction which lends much more credence to viewing it as a comparable value. In my group of ten I've got 4 who view Universal as preferable. Three of them are much more interested in Harry Potter than anything Disney is offering and the other is into Marvel. This plays a much bigger part in us staying off site. No need to move everything half way through our stay.

Green Meadows is closed.

Thanks for the update!

MONKEY JUNGLE

Thanks!

Sueb

Here is what I'm getting when i come down ... 3 bedroom condo, 3 baths, kitchen, living room, private screened-in pool, tv/vcr/dvd, all appliances, all pots, pans, dishes, silverware. $80/night plus its fenced in and security guards are at the gate 24/7. And I can see the Tree of Life & EE from the entrance. I'd luv to stay on site at one of the monorail resorts, but its too $$$.
Ok so I need to know where u are staying

Walt d

Here is what I'm getting when i come down ... 3 bedroom condo, 3 baths, kitchen, living room, private screened-in pool, tv/vcr/dvd, all appliances, all pots, pans, dishes, silverware. $80/night plus its fenced in and security guards are at the gate 24/7. And I can see the Tree of Life & EE from the entrance. I'd luv to stay on site at one of the monorail resorts, but its too $$$.
I stay at east Bronson Highway at comfort suites. 3 miles from disney entrance. Get a good hot breakfast every morning. Heated pool. Its on a side road. Very quiet. Drive my suv. Back and forth, disney too much $$$

DiSnEyF@n

I got suckered into getting a timeshare 🔨

Seriously though, I love the Sheraton Vistana Villages, my home resort through Starwood's Vacation Ownership program. I'm very close to the magic, but not stuck in the middle of it, so I don't feel so guilty going to Universal or SeaWorld while I'm in Orlando.

My wife and I have already discussed it, and we will try a Disney resort sometime, but our offsite resort is home.

This is where my family and I are planning to stay this summer. You love it there?

andysaint

We stayed off site last year (we are from the UK) but for a Universal holiday. We stayed at a cheap hotel on idrive. We got free trips to and from the parks but it was not terribly convenient, you had to booked in advance and the queues were long especially to return. Not to mention the journey time was long. We spent quite a lot of money on Uber’s as a result which negated some of the cheapness of the hotel. On the other hand, we were in walking distance of cheaper restaurants, we went to mini golf on idrive, we walked to the Eye and we walked to the supermarket which is cheaper than buying food and drink in the park. This year however we are staying on site at Disney are finding a wicked deal at a value resort. The convenience of the transport is too good to say no to and the only downside for us this time is the added food and drink cost.

Aussiejen79

Were Aussies, therefore don't get to travel the WDW often, but when we do its always onsite to get the whole Disney experience when were on vacation. We normally stay anywhere from 2 weeks - 4weeks at a time and while it costs a small fortune we would'nt have it any other way. The last few times weve been lucky enough to get small discounts on our stay.

Another reason is that were not confident in driving or renting a car there. The convenient of the Free parks transportation is great for us.
If we did drive there i might be inclined to try an offsite hotel for a week or so.

We love the value resorts theming so tend to stick with them. :) My kids go crazy at POP/ AOA and will do at our stay at ASM!

yensid1967

One question.... How much cheaper is it to stay off site in comparison to the value resorts? And is it not more beneficial to stay on site for means of transportation and other "perks"?
"VALUE" Resorts start at $150/night...plus you have parking fee per night if you have a car that adds $200+ to your vacation total
Off site start at $60/night...$80/night includes a buffet breakfast! free parking, security, un used pools because most go to water parks! on site laundry...plus off site hotels do not nickel and dime you every step of the way!

draybook

Easy, value. We were just down there from April 1st until the 6th. We got a 3/2 condo at the Sweetwater Club condo complex for $600 total. That's a full condo, 10 minutes from Disney property for what would have been $2k+ on-site. This upcoming September, we're renting a 3/2 house with a pool for $1200 for 2 weeks. Show me where I can get that deal on-site without bringing a tent. The perks of being on-site have diminished to the point of not even being close to the value received.

Raxel7851

Easy, value. We were just down there from April 1st until the 6th. We got a 3/2 condo at the Sweetwater Club condo complex for $600 total. That's a full condo, 10 minutes from Disney property for what would have been $2k+ on-site. This upcoming September, we're renting a 3/2 house with a pool for $1200 for 2 weeks. Show me where I can get that deal on-site without bringing a tent. The perks of being on-site have diminished to the point of not even being close to the value received.
Tent sites at FW would be more than the $1200 you’re putting out for 2 weeks.

UKDisney Dave

As I stay over two weeks at a time makes sense to stay in a villa rather than a hotel - even as a single traveler! A hotel room over a period of time can seem very claustrophobic

I love my private pool, where I can chill after a long day with a drink and a book with my feet in the cool water. Plus be up at 6 and do a few lengths before my morning shower.

Love the washer/dryer - means I can pack
Minimal clothes for a two week visit and just throw stuff to wash when I go to bed.

Love the kitchen - means I don’t have to eat out alone for every single meal.

Much prefer to drive between parks and places than use Disney buses. Plus you can still use boats/monorails/skyline to get to dinner reservations and move about when you want to. But the car is great for those awkward transfers - like Disney springs and the water parks.

Love having spare rooms so USA friends can join me for a few days.

Plus even though Disney will be 70% of my activity it isn’t my only reason for visiting. So a villa as a central base makes much more sense to do a day in other parks, head to the coast etc.

Plus - even as a single traveler, it’s cheaper to hire a 4/5 bedroom villa than stay onsite! The on-site perks (extra hours etc) are not enough of a perk for a single traveler.

Alll that said I do love the resort - and resort hope every trip. Grab a boat and head out on the lake, a drink chilling in the resort bar, exploring the lobby and grounds. All amazing. But I still want to drive back Tommy private pool at the end of the day!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
1- Better value thanks to negotiated corporate rates
2- Better benefits as an elite member of multiple hotel chains
3- More central location to do other things in Orlando (ie, visit breweries and friends/family)

DisneyfanMA

Family of 5, so we wanted some space. We plan 2 off days of just hanging by the pool and taking it easy also. Plus a trip to US IoA one day.........

Was able to get a 1200 sq foot 2 BR, 2 bath fully equipped condo with Disney themed kids room and bathroom, immaculate looking grounds with arcade, store, huge pool and splash /slide park. And it's < 2 miles from AK. Something like 110 bucks a night. All else equal of course I'd rather be on property but come on.

And yes I know I'll have to rent a car and pay to park. But it was still a no brainer for me. I haven't actually stayed there yet, so we'll see. But I'm optimistic based off pics and reviews.

LindsayW

My family requires more than one room per stay. This adds up. However, to us the money saving aspect is honestly just icing on the cake when renting a vacation home.
We travel with a group from infant to 60+. Every person has different needs. The younger kids require a nap and the older kids like an afternoon break. Having a vacation home allows us to let big kids hang out and play video games or swim while littles nap. Also when the young kids inevitably crash and burn earlier than we expect the adults can sit around the pool enjoying time together without sitting in silence ina hotel room. 100% we sleep better in the house vs hearing hotel room doors open and shut.
We have lots of food allergies so we are easily able to hit up the store, prepare and store our own food. We take full advantage of Disney’s bringing in our own food and only eating out one meal because of this. We have stayed on property many times and just find this experience to be more enjoyable to us. We dread the walk back to the car every night but my husband always points out the long lines for buses and mentions we will be tucked in before AKL guests board their bus.

Ares

In the Parks
No
*Why do you stay off-site?*

Three big reasons come to mind:
  1. Save money (duh)
  2. There's more to my vacation than just Disney
  3. Some people can't afford to stay @ Disney

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom