Why Do People Struggle So Much With Snack Prices?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I just got back from WDW on a wonderful 8 day trip. If anyone else was there, you know it was pretty warm (over 90 several days) and water/drinks were definitely a huge need. There was 0 rain too.

I constantly heard things like:
"$3 for water is robbery!!"
"Why is water $3??"
"$4 for ice cream?"
"Why is Powerade $4.25?"
"Mickey isn't out here because he's too busy in the back counting our money!!"

Give me a break. What do people expect, honestly? We all get that water is expensive on a per bottle basis, but isn't it just the cost of doing business? Expensive snack items aren't a Disney thing. This is the case at most amusement parks, Fairs, and concessions (movies, shows, sporting events, etc). They have to make money on this higher margin stuff because despite what so many think, they don't make huge margin on park entry.

I still think many restaurants are pretty decent value, even without a meal plan. We ate at a favorite, Liberty Tree, and got the Pilgrim's Feast for under $20/person. This value for real food is better than a hot dog and fries and close to a standard lunch $15 lunch at a restaurant chain.

Also, they do offer free ice water if hydration is your concern. I just can't get over how much people complain about something so standard. I feel like people come to the parks feeling ripped off and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
It comes down to price vs. desire. If I'm thirsty, I'll buy a bottle of cold refreshing Dasani water and not think twice about the $3. Now, if it cost $6 I might think twice about it. But what I'd never do is compare the price in the parks with what it would cost from my home grocery store - that's just silly.
Thank you! I heard people saying constantly that they "could get a 24 pack of water for $3."

I'm like, does Costco have the Haunted Mansion?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Weird, I've never overheard anyone complain about prices while I am at WDW. But then again, I don't start threads every week about Disney being a great value and the poors should shut up and stay home.
Nice subtle jab, but my topics are on point, perhaps you just don't like the content. And price topics are all over this board, most of them not started by me. I simply discuss my opinion on value and try to be the voice of reason in the constant complaining about price increases.

$3 for water shouldn't be putting anyone in the poor house. if it does,you shouldn't be at WDW in the first place.

If you haven't heard guest complaints about prices, you must not go to WDW very often. Don't like this discussion? There are thousands of other threads to read...pick one of those.

Sans Souci

Nice subtle jab, but my topics are on point. $3 for water shouldn't be putting anyone in the poor house, or you shouldn't be at WDW in the first place.

If you haven't heard guest complaints about prices, you must not go to WDW very often. Don't like this discussion? There are thousands of other threads to read...pick one of those.

Oh, it wasn't meant to be subtle. :)
I will post where ever I wish, thanks for the suggestion, though.

DisneyFans4Life

Nice subtle jab, but my topics are on point, perhaps you just don't like the content.

$3 for water shouldn't be putting anyone in the poor house. if it does,you shouldn't be at WDW in the first place.

Not to mention Disney's prices aren't some secret. In the process of planning a vacation (any vacation for that matter), you should be researching prices for souvenirs, snacks, drinks, etc. prior to going so that you know exactly what to expect. IMO, if you've planned well, there shouldn't be any surprises while on vacation.

Spikerdink

Why do people complain about the cost of water?

It's something they see in the supermarket and can quickly do the math on how much they pay for a bottle vs. how much Disney is charging.
My local supermarket has three twenty four packs on sale for $10. That works out to 14 cents a bottle. Disney HAS to be getting a better price than that, so people look at the cost and right or wrong feel they are being gouged.

I personally do not buy the water in Disney because I feel it is not a good value for me. I will get the free ice water from a QS with my meal, or I will bring in my own water. Personal choice.

About ten years ago, I was walking towards World Showcase and a couple were walking in front of me. As they passed the souvenir/water/juice/soda stand, the male reached into the ice cooler, grabbed a water and kept walking. I told the CM that the guy just stole a water and was told that policy is that the CM does not worry about theft of the bottles. So, another reason that water is so pricey is that the amount of inventory shrinkage is probably huge and the prices need to reflect this disappearing merchandise.

As for ice cream, how often have we seen a child drop their Mickey bar and a CM appears with a replacement? This cost has to be accounted for somewhere and that is part of the mark up.

I really don't mind the cost of ice cream at Disney as it is a luxury I never have at home, so I am happy to splurge. Again, my feelings, but I can see where someone could say they could get a box of ice cream bars at the supermarket for the same price at home.

On an unrelated note, I can see myself becoming that crotchety old guy, "$4.00 for a bottle of water? Heck, when I was a kid they were a quarter!"

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Because those people are morons...sorry...was that too harsh? You're at a theme park...what else do you expect? I went to a Tampa Bay Lightning game a few months back and a 20oz. Coke was something like $5 maybe?

People don't like prices...stay home so I don't have to wait behind you!
Couldn't agree more. At AT&T stadium, bottled water is $5, bottled Coke is $6, and draft beer starts at $11.

blueboxdoctor

Compared to some other places, their prices aren't bad at all. To get a large soda at The Linc (Eagles stadium in Philly) is nearly $11 a person (always amazes me how many beers people get there, I think a Miller Lite - which by itself is awful - is around $8 a cup/bottle, and there are people with multiple cups stacked up).

Even going to see a show at the theater there are high priced snacks.

Basically, if you're going to an event or high profile vacation spot like Disney World, these prices shouldn't come as a big surprise.

Diznyfan

I just got back from WDW on a wonderful 8 day trip. If anyone else was there, you know it was pretty warm (over 90 several days) and water/drinks were definitely a huge need. There was 0 rain too.

I constantly heard things like:
"$3 for water is robbery!!"
"Why is water $3??"
"$4 for ice cream?"
"Why is Powerade $4.25?"
"Mickey isn't out here because he's too busy in the back counting our money!!"

Give me a break. What do people expect, honestly? We all get that water is expensive on a per bottle basis, but isn't it just the cost of doing business? Expensive snack items aren't a Disney thing. This is the case at most amusement parks, Fairs, and concessions (movies, shows, sporting events, etc). They have to make money on this higher margin stuff because despite what so many think, they don't make huge margin on park entry.

I still think many restaurants are pretty decent value, even without a meal plan. We ate at a favorite, Liberty Tree, and got the Pilgrim's Feast for under $20/person. This value for real food is better than a hot dog and fries and close to a standard lunch $15 lunch at a restaurant chain.

Also, they do offer free ice water if hydration is your concern. I just can't get over how much people complain about something so standard. I feel like people come to the parks feeling ripped off and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I personally don't mind paying $3 for a bottle of water when I need it. Disney is also good about letting guests bring their own bottles of water or refillable water bottles into the parks. I laughed when I read: "Mickey isn't out here because he's too busy in the back counting our money!!", all I could think of was:

upload_2016-5-4_12-0-18.jpeg

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I personally don't mind paying $3 for a bottle of water when I need it. Disney is also good about letting guests bring their own bottles of water or refillable water bottles into the parks. I laughed when I read: "Mickey isn't out here because he's too busy in the back counting our money!!", all I could think of was:

View attachment 140592
Lol, me too...and they aren't even right. Mickey and TONS of other characters are out there sweating their tails off in the heat and a 20lb costume...err body. ;)

CaptainAmerica

I think people are extra sensitive about Disney prices because they pay everything to Disney on their vacation. It's a one-stop destination.

Take, for example, a vacation to Tennessee. You pay Alamo for your rental car. You pay Holiday Inn for your lodging. You pay Dollywood and the Grand Ole Opry for your entertainment. You pay Boot Country and Ernest Tubb Record Shop for your souvenirs, and you pay Rippy's Ribs for your dinner. At Disney, you're paying for your transportation, entertainment, F&B, and merchandise all from Disney specifically. This creates an entitlement mentality because people think "well Disney already has my money from park tickets and my hotel room, so I deserve [cheap food, pool hopping, short lines, unlimited towels]."

plutofan15

[

Wherever people are "stuck" and have no option as to where to purchase items (food, drinks, etc.) the prices are always jacked up. Amusement parks, airports, sports stadiums are prime examples. Last Thursday I was at Fenway Park and it was a very cold night combined with a decent breeze. I was freezing and went to buy a knit stocking cap to keep my noggin warm only to find they wanted $25! My choices were to either pay the jacked up price or continue to shiver. Supply and demand forced me buy the hat. Looking online, the item in Disney that was closest to what I purchased was $16.99 - and looked like a better product. Keep that in mind when complaining about Disney prices.
http://www.disneystore.com/mickey-m...ce-beanie-for-adults-2016/mp/1395090/1000294/[/QUOTE]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom