Why do people like meet and greets?

JIMINYCR

Every year DS had a list of characters he wanted to get autographs and pics with when he was younger. They are now treasured items we look back on. I dont regret standing in lines for them now, even though I might have grumbled some then about time taken away from rides. Although I dont M&G I have adult friends who would wait forever to get that moment with their fav character also for treasured memories to look back on. Life is short and making memories of loved ones while at Disney is what its all about. Theres no age limit for memory making.

Pixie VaVoom

I have only ever waited on ONE M+G, that was this past January, for "Chip and Dale". I waited only about 15 minutes to see those cute little chipmunks, so that I could tell everyone back at work that my husband took me to see "Chip and Dale" on our vacation...hah, hah, get it ??? "Chippendales" ??

disneyfirstLJ

On our first trip in February my daughter (10) had no desire to meet the characters. She met with the Winnie the Pooh gang but only because we ate at Crystal Palace and she met Duffy because he had no line plus she thinks he is cute. She also met the Beast after dinner at Be Our Guest. It was our first visit so I was hoping she would like meeting the characters but she didn't. I loved it! I guess I am a kid at heart because I loved getting my picture taken with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Duffy, The Beast, Cinderella and Aurora. However, I didn't wait in long lines. I only waited if it was 5 minutes or less. I tried to wait in line for Chip and Dale but it was too hot at Epcot that day and my daughter really wanted to go to the pool. The meet and greets were fun and I love the photos I have. Just feels like Disney to me!

Mawg

I wish the characters could just be out and about in the parks interacting with guests. It would just feel so much more spontaneous if the kids could say hey look there is ______ let's go say hi. But, unfortunately we as guests don't really know how to act to let this work right. It would just be a big mob scene for some characters.

JillC LI

When our kids were younger, we'd do M&Gs for their sake, but never waited longer than 20 minutes (and they agreed with that limit). We also did character meals. However, we haven't done either for several years now as the only interest any of us have in the characters is a fun photo for our trip album if we happen to stumble upon a character that has no wait. (And I'd return to 1900 Park Fare for the strawberry soup alone!) For those that enjoy the character interaction, go for it!

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I'm 20 and meeting characters is one of my favorite things about my trips to Disney. Sometimes the performers aren't all that great and don't initiate much conversation, which then it isn't very magical and I just end up with yet another picture of me with whichever character. But, most of the time, the performers are wonderful and really make whatever character they're currently friends with come alive.

I'm still a little kid at heart and for the most part when I'm meeting characters I forget that they're performers.

morningstar

I echo that it was better when the characters roamed. It was more like a celebrity sighting than lining up for an autograph signing. It was like the characters were just there like you to enjoy the parks, and you happened to run into them. It put them in a more interesting setting where it was like observing them in a context. They were doing something, not just signing autographs.

I think the increase in M&G lines is related to the decrease in roaming characters. Fairly obvious connection.

I'm not sure why they changed it. I don't know if it was just an increase in attendance or interest in M&G's, so that lines for autographs from roaming characters backed up and caused a traffic flow problem. I remember in the old days you might have to wait behind one or two other families for an autograph, but you wouldn't really call it a line.

And don't judge childless adults who like them. I'm not in to it but mainly because I feel a bit shy about it. I don't think there are many who actually don't understand that the characters aren't real. They may act like they're real, but that's just to make it more fun.

Figaro928

When we went to WDW last year, my daughter was a shade over three. We had a running joke that EVERY ride (with the exception of Peter Pan and IASW) has a definite scary part-even COP has a scene when the electicity blows. While she went on every ride, my daughter truly was mesmerised by the M&G's. THey were BY FAR her favorite part - no scary scenes. Because thhey were her favorite part, they became our favorite part. For a parent to see their child in absolute bliss while being emerged in a fantasy world made real is WHY we go to disney year after year.

Launchpad McQuack

I wish the characters could just be out and about in the parks interacting with guests. It would just feel so much more spontaneous if the kids could say hey look there is ______ let's go say hi. But, unfortunately we as guests don't really know how to act to let this work right. It would just be a big mob scene for some characters.

That's true. Can you imagine how ugly things would get right now with kids (and adults... actually, mostly adults) if Anna and Elsa were just walking around?

lunchbox1175

My wife and I always considered it "collecting" characters, getting photos with new characters or classic characters in different outfits. When you've been to WDW so many times, it adds a certain "hunting or collecting" aspect to the trip. Spotting a a rare character out of the corner of your eye is like finding a valuable treasure at a flea market.
We don't really talk or interact with the characters, as we just get the photo and add it to the collection.
We are the same, for us it is like a challenge, I even have a spreadsheet that tracks where and when we met the characters and which ones we still have to meet. We also find the "wait" time as a good time to connect, just standing waiting in line for something gets some pretty funny conversations started, especially with other guests. We have noticed that we have a lot more very pleasant conversations with other guests in the M&G lines than we do in the ride lines. I think people associate character meets with a happy memory more than rides, Aladdin is my favorite movie, and I will meet the Genie every time (especially in light of recent events :cry:) because it brings back some really good memories....but the rides don't have the same effect on me.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Back in September, we decided to take a picture of the castle from the train station loading area.
We were there for about 5 minutes when out pops Pluto.... we all got so excited (keep in mind we are all over 23 lol)
He took lots of pictures and entertained us for a while before his handlers told him it was time to go.

It was one of my most favorite moments to date. Beats waiting in line for hours for a 60 second interaction by a mile!

pluto77

I think there are only two people that enjoy them. Kids that don't yet realize that they aren't real and delusional adults that have convinced themselves that they are real. I've actually watched in disbelief as some woman in her 40's carried on a conversation with a character as if the character was real, and not for the benefit of a young kid in tow... she was completely alone (probably a blessing as someone that crazy should never have kids).

The rest of us that are in lines for the evil things are only there for our kids.
If there were only people in line for a meet and greets that thought they were real, or had a member in their party who thought they were real, then I highly doubt that lines would be so long for them. I'm pretty sure that even the majority of kids (older kids at least) that see the characters know that they aren't actually real. It's a fun experience, and a fun photo/memory to have. It's fun to pretend, even as an adult. Every movie we see, every book we read, every TV show we watch, none of it is real, but it's fun to immerse yourself in those stories. Let people have fun, there's no harm in adults interacting with characters. I don't know if this is the case with the lady you are talking about, or if she actually had a mental issue, either way, who are we to judge? She wasn't harming anyone. I was in college marching band, and we used to "talk with" Buster Bronco (our mascot), and we took pictures with him, that doesn't make us delusional. It's no different with characters at Disney.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I think there are only two people that enjoy them. Kids that don't yet realize that they aren't real and delusional adults that have convinced themselves that they are real. I've actually watched in disbelief as some woman in her 40's carried on a conversation with a character as if the character was real, and not for the benefit of a young kid in tow... she was completely alone (probably a blessing as someone that crazy should never have kids).

The rest of us that are in lines for the evil things are only there for our kids.
Are you for real?
I'm an adult who likes to meet characters. I know they aren't real but the exchange is fun. I have had quite a few "adult" interactions with characters that would never happen if a child was around.
It is just something fun to do.

DfromATX

We've only met Jasmine and Chip & Dale and that was several years ago. Back then my step daughter (also named Jasmine) was about 9 and had one of those autograph books. I don't recall a long line and I'm positive there's no way we would have waited if there was one. There's been a couple of times to get photos with Mickey and the gang at Chef Mickey's and that was fun, but otherwise we're not really into the characters. I can see young girls wanting to meet all the princesses though.

bq69

Why are you trying to discourage conversation on a discussion forum? It was an honest question, and it was delivered without malice. I too have often wondered about the motivations for people (with and without children) who like the meet and greet experiences enough to wait in line for long periods of time for the privilege of interacting with their favorite characters. This thread can provide informational discourse. If it goes awry, the mods will handle it.

How about letting the rest of us read the anecdotes and opinions of others, as well?

Is it an honest question? So out of the blue somebody wants to why people do meet and greets? Something smells fishy. I am a moderator on another forum and we call threads like this an act of trolling.

From our Terms of Service:
2) Trolling: Do not post topics with the sole purpose of starting a dispute

It is quite obvious from the OP that the intent is to find a dispute to why someone may or may not want to see a Disney Character (Meet and Greeet). I have seen topics like this on our forum go awry and we ban them from the start. Quite frankly it is none of my business or anyones to why they may or may not want to someting at Disney while on vacation. Why should one even care about what motivation another person or family has. As long it does not interfere with you or your family why care at all? As someone earlier posted "different strokes for different folks".

I will make one final comment. I'm sure I would recieve alot backlash if I posted a thread like this....

What is the fasicnation with Halloween? I don't celebrate this holiday so what is the fascination of Disney decorating the parks and why have a Mickey's -Not-So-Scary Halloween-Party? Why do people even attend this event.

Now obviously I would be ripped to shreds if I posted such a thread as this. (I'm not so don't worry..even though my family and I do not celebrate Halloween). So what is the difference between this thread and my example thread. Nothing! Just trying to stir the pot. So I stand by my original post.

Quite frankly if one likes character meet and greets or not, does it really matter what their motivation is and does it really matter what others think?

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

As a little girl all I could think about was going to Walt Disney World. Even though we went to Florida, Disney wasn't a part of the trip. I got to experience it with my children when they were little, trip after trip, now my kids are adults and Thank God.. They kept a little bit of Pixie Dust and can still have fun meeting a favorite character! (Just like mom) Really long lines, no.. But why love Disney so much if you lost the reason that is what makes it so magical anyway? "Adults are only grown up kids anyway" Who was it said that????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom