Why do people attack characters?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Today was a weird day at work... so my question is,

why do people attack the characters? They don't do anything warranting any attacks, yet people still hit them like they're punching bags.

I don't care if you've done this, but if you have or do, I'd like to know your reasoning... as well as other views... as to why you do this. If you don't, that's great.. I like you.

I'm honestly curious why people are taking such pleasure in committing acts of physical battery to another person... and when kids do it, why many times, parents will support this or cheer them on (your kid may be cute, but isn't right)...

Just a ranting/question...

btw--... don't let this turn into a flame war...

WeirdOne

I think it has to do with the fact that if you commit deviance, or the (the negative deviance), then you look cool and people find that good, funny, etc and don't care.

I want to be a character, so by no means will I EVER harass one. - The WeirdOne :D

WeirdOne

I guess the point is, most people think of them as lowlife losers who can't succeed in life and think it funny to laugh at the other people's pains. It's a fact of life and I wish people wouldn't do what they do. - The WeirdOne :D

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
I know that some people are just a$$holes... that's a fact of life...

I'm an a$$hole at times... but even I know where to draw the line between being an a$$hole and injuring someone

meeko_33785

I think it's terrible how some people abuse the characters. I think the major reason the characters seem to get a lot of abuse is that 1) most are big and fluffy and people think that they wouldn't feel it ad 2) They're not really real- they're cartoon characters. The last one is primarily with kids. They see characters get hit with anvils or fall of of cliffs each day and they are OK by the next commercial. Kids may not realize that characters in the park can get seriously hurt. However, with grown-ups, they most likely just don't care.

Becky

They attack Characters because our Society only enforces the "Big Rules":(

Parents support little Timmey instead of the teacher when little Timmey is caught cheating on a test.

Nothing happens when someone takes office supplies home. Or towels, etc from hotels.

Watch all the people filling everything imaginable at the food court beverage stations.

When management, courts etc start to enforce those "Little Rules" we will have a better Society:cool: and Characters will have fewer bruises.

Maybe they should substitute a real Tiger for Tigger on occassion.:eek: Sorry lady that little Billy got eaten when he punched the Tig er:lookaroun

RobVanDam

never done this .. never experienced it either... kinda weird why people would do such a thing , i can see why if its a kid and theyre seein captain hook, or jafar, or Grizz ( :lol: just kidding buddy) but still , why hit them?

SpongeScott

Rob,

Are we talking adults or kids that hit the characters? I cannot imagine/fathom/comprehend an adult hitting a character like that. The guest ought to be told they can be charged with assault or battery or they can leave the park.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Scott... it's usually teenage males who do this (race/culture all the same), however, adults do it too (generally though, adults of the latino persuasion)...

Becky

Originally posted by meeko_33785
I think the major reason the characters seem to get a lot of abuse is that They're not really real- they're cartoon characters. The last one is primarily with kids. They see characters get hit with anvils or fall of of cliffs each day and they are OK by the next commercial.

Quite a bit of truth in that meeko. Add to that lines in shows like "Kill the Beast":eek: and that helps explain what goes on in the minds of some of the little ones. But for the parents to stand by and do nothing or egg them on:hammer:

PhotoDave219

Well, i really dont understand the mentality, i really don't. I mean in Mallrats, yeah that whole easter bunny thing was funny, because it was a movie. This is the really real world, despite the fantasy elements of WDW. Perhaps its the idea of getting away with something, perhaps its the cartoon mentality, or maybe its a couple of ________________ who think "Wouldnt it be cool if we...." not caring about the person in the suit. Most people don't realise that its a tiny person who "knows" mickey inside and out. Usually, people think of the person who "knows" the charcter to be the same size of the charcter.

I think that WDW should be fully prosecuting anyone who attacks a CM. As well as being kicked out of the parks, kicked out of the resorts and sent directly to jail. Criminal and civil charges should be pressed. If they're international offenders - file a complaint with their embassy as well. This type of behavior shouldnt be allowed.

Now i realise that when characters are out, they're with a CM or 2 for assistance. So where's Disney Security if this continues to happen? I dont mean to sound ridiculous, but if someone is beaten to the point of near unconsiousness or has injuries that require hospitalization, maybe Mickey needs some muscle.

I'm suprised the union tollerates such inaction by upper management. Dont employees a safe working environment?

wiskband

Little confused here about character abuse :veryconfu . I certainly have never done that as well as my kids and I have never seen that done. You make it sound as if it happens often. Does it? IO wonder if its a issue????? anyway this post brought me to start another good one. Read on.....

homer424

some people are just moronic a$$holes unfortuately. 2 years ago some guy repeatedly punched and kicked Cookie Monster at the Sesame Place down in Langhorne because he stepped on his kids foot when he was leaving to go backstage. It is like these characters have a very limited sight distance, if little junior runs up to him while he is walking away, he is bound to get bumped into or stepped on. Thankfully he was prosecuted.

My friend did character work in Great Adventure here in NJ and she said people would smack the back of the head when they walked by, stamp on her feet, punch her in the gut when they were done with the picture, just because they thought it was funny or "cool". Dumba$$es. Yeah, it is really cool to beat up on a person who can't see you really well, can't defend themselves and is probably exhausted from heat.

mkepcotmgmak

i was reading through the character section of my Behind the Ears book... and some of those stories from the poor cms who "hang out" with the characters. i mean they really get abused. do the characters get any training in this, or little things you can do to defend yourself? i mean, if mickey were to get hit in real life, we all know he would hit back... lol... does anyone ever try to "dismantle" the tops of the character costume? for lack of better term... hope you understand what i am saying without ruining any magic for any younger readers. i have heard that crotch shots are a real big issue trying to find out if mickey is a male or female... when we ALL KNOW THAT HE IS A BOY... maybe one of mickey's many costumes around the park should be a karate costume with a black belt... lol.:D :lol: :animwink: :D :lol: :animwink: :D :lol: :animwink:

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by mkt
Today was a weird day at work... so my question is,

why do people attack the characters? They don't do anything warranting any attacks, yet people still hit them like they're punching bags.

I don't care if you've done this, but if you have or do, I'd like to know your reasoning... as well as other views... as to why you do this. If you don't, that's great.. I like you.

I'm honestly curious why people are taking such pleasure in committing acts of physical battery to another person... and when kids do it, why many times, parents will support this or cheer them on (your kid may be cute, but isn't right)...

Just a ranting/question...

btw--... don't let this turn into a flame war...

I've seen kids during the summer holiday (mainly the 4th of July) where they're running around the parks, blowing off steam because school is over and summer is in full swing. And, I too, as a guest, have seen kids (some 11-14) walk up to a character and backhand them upside the head. Why is this necessary? The people who work at Disney and are dressed up as your "favorite" Disney Character are there for your entertainment, not for your physical abuse. They work hard at what they do and they have to endure the heat and humidity (especially now -- welcome to FL -- it's HOT!) to be in your photo opp. I think the reason why I'm not a Disney character, nor do I work for Disney, is because if I'm swung out... you better watch out....this Italian will swing back... ;)

Also -- another reason why kids have to hit the characters? If you guys get a chance, rent Encino Man with Pauly Shore and Brandon Frasier. The "amusement park" sequence will explain it all. Poor bear :(

DisneyJill

Hey Rob, what happened today in particular that made your day so horrible? Just curious. And I don't know why people hit the characters. I'm a fairly small person, so even the smallest of characters could turn around and whoop me!

RozFan

I dunno why mkt, but I saw two kids attack King Louie right inside the gates of AK and it really toasted my buns! :mad: What was worse the parents were standing there laughing and getting it on video! :mad: :mad:

People are stupid, that is my reasoning. :rolleyes:

kvan

What can cm do when they are attacked?
Can they get these people out of the parks?
Or they just have to tolerate this?

The same thing happens here in Spain; normally they are kids age 9-12 in group. When they are alone they behave “normal”.
It happens mostly in birthday parties when there are no parents around ( in playgrounds just for kids )
I've heard stories of the theme park characters, exactly the same as in WDW.
They always attack in group when there are no parents around (there are always exceptions when there are adults involved )
Once I asked some of them why do they do it, there answer was : we don’t know, he looked so stupid , well it’s fun …
strange way to have fun I believe

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom