Why dislike for Iger?

Tom Morrow

He has diluted the Disney brand, once a name synonymous with whimsy, imagination and creativity, now just some sort of post-apocalyptic media giant that owns 1/3rd of all media.

He has turned the parks into commercials/extensions for said media rather than being their own experiences. We will probably never see an original, non-IP attraction again, or at least for quite a while.

He said Everest is just some "non-descript roller coaster in India or whatever" and insinuated that that is stupid and people would rather ride with their favorite super heroes.

Great businessman but nothing more. Not an ounce of creative spark in him, not any sort of visionary at all.

Cmdr_Crimson

He IS really good at giving his customers the business...
tenor.gif

Cmdr_Crimson

He said Everest is just some "non-descript roller coaster in India or whatever" and insinuated that that is stupid and people would rather ride with their favorite super heroes.

Great businessman but nothing more. Not an ounce of creative spark in him, not any sort of visionary at all.
Yeah, and then he tried to save his hinder from it but, the damage was already done...
iger-twitter-expedition.jpeg

UncleMike101

He's obsessed with films and broadcast media.
The Parks are nothing more than a cash cow to bankroll his media toy collection and make up for the cash loss from some of Disneys crappy movie projects that he approved.
During his reign Disney Parks have garnered the reputation as a money grubbing, whiz on the Guests, "Pay up and shut up" corporation, who's motto, as I've said before, should be, "If you can't afford us, you don't deserve to be happy."

justintheharris

To be fair, Wishes and ROE was starting to show its age.
Obviously so. I don’t understand why people just can’t accept that sometimes Disney NEEDS to change to remain relevant. And in most cases, the replacement is better than the predecessor? As a matter of fact, didnt Walt Disney say “everything in this room may change time and time again as we move ahead?” And wasn't the purpose of EPCOT to teach people about progress?

justintheharris

He's obsessed with films and broadcast media.
The Parks are nothing more than a cash cow to bankroll his media toy collection and make up for the cash loss from some of Disneys crappy movie projects that he approved.
During his reign Disney Parks have garnered the reputation as a money grubbing, whiz on the Guests, "Pay up and shut up" corporation, who's motto, as I've said before, should be, "If you can't afford us, you don't deserve to be happy."
Would you like him to lower ticket prices so you may complain that Disney is too crowded? More so than it is now?

justintheharris

Look at some old YouTube videos from the 80’s to the late 90’s, you will be floored on what the parks used to be like. Allot of great non franchise attractions to, especially at Epcot. Also take a good look at Spectromagic and tell me bringing in the Electrical Parade wasn’t a downgrade.
None of the epcot rides would be popular now. Horizons and World of Motion would be horribly dated, Universe of Energy was a constant walk on until practically August 13th, 2017, Journey Into Imagination in its original form was a walk-on shortly before it closed and Maelstrom never had more than a 45 minute wait even on the busiest days. Nostalgia is the only reason most people would continue to go on most of those rides in 2019. Frozen and the EPCOT festivals are the only reason EPCOT doesn’t see less visitors than Hollywood Studios. Heck, maybe even Universal Studios.

UncleMike101

Would you like him to lower ticket prices so you may complain that Disney is too crowded? More so than it is now?
The ticket prices go up every year.
The parks are more crowded than ever.
He doesn't give a rats behind how crowded the parks become. (Unless the State Fire Marshall gets involved.)
Iger is in Hog Heaven as long as he keeps making his "Performance Bonus" money from the price increases and the dip stick add on fees that he keeps dumping onto to everyone.
And....
I don't complain about the crowds.
I work within the crowd parameters and make the most of my vacation time.

Last edited:

justintheharris

The ticket prices go up every year.
The parks are more crowded than ever.
He doesn't give a rats behind how crowded the parks become. (Unless the State Fire Marshall gets involved.)
Iger in in Hog Heaven as long as he keeps making his "Performance Bonus" money from the price increases and the dip stick add on fees that he keeps dumping onto to everyone.
And....
I don't complain about the crowds.
I work within the crowd parameters and make the most of my vacation time.
Fair enough. But would you expect different of any other individual as CEO of Disney?

eliza61nyc

Look at some old YouTube videos from the 80’s to the late 90’s, you will be floored on what the parks used to be like. Allot of great non franchise attractions to, especially at Epcot. Also take a good look at Spectromagic and tell me bringing in the Electrical Parade wasn’t a downgrade.
I gotta say this is my only disconnect I watched all the videos and truthfully not one of those old rides look all that great. Definitely not to the hype people here tall about. I just chalk it up to something that had to be experienced.

UncleMike101

Fair enough. But would you expect different of any other individual as CEO of Disney?
Yes......
I expect a Disney CEO to concentrate his/her efforts on those entertainment venues that the company is famous for and that made Disney the wealthy corporation that it is today.
Namely the Parks.
Not Igers movie and TV toys.
He's a leech, and he's been sucking all of the Parks blood to fund his pet projects.

justintheharris

Yes......
I expect a Disney CEO to concentrate his/her efforts on those entertainment venues that the company is famous for and that made Disney the wealthy corporation that it is today.
Namely the Parks.
Not Igers movie and TV toys.
He's a leech, and he's been sucking all of the Parks blood to fund his pet projects.
The crowds want Disney characters in rides. This forum doesn’t but everyone else does. I think Disney should invest in a significant non-IP project in the near future but the rides with IPs are extremely popular.

BrianLo

In Summary: He didn't put WDW on a pedestal. ;)

The actual parks investment wasn't horrible outside of WDW. It was pretty neutered for the first third of his tenure across the board (not helped by a recession), with a notable domestic lull mid- this decade.

Hong Kong, Paris and Disneyland resort were in shambles when he started. Now they all have clear direction and a 6th (Shanghai) was added to that list.

But WDW was largely ignored until the last third of his tenure and we are on a WDW centric site.

UncleMike101

The crowds want Disney characters in rides. This forum doesn’t but everyone else does. I think Disney should invest in a significant non-IP project in the near future but the rides with IPs are extremely popular.
The Disney characters, yes.
But not the Marvel and other non Disney creations.
Only a leech like Iger would populate Walt Disneys dream parks with cheap, tawdry, super hero types created for the comic book audience by other studios.
I remember watching Walt every week on his TV shows where he was constantly promoting his Imagineers as the people who brought the Disney dream to life and how they worked exclusively on Walts dreams of creating affordable family orientated parks.
Now all Iger has to do is dip into the vault of other peoples characters that he's purchased with the parks profits, and make believe that they are somehow remotely related to Walts dreams.
Well, they're not..........
Sorry to rant, but Igers disregard for the foundation on which the Disney empire was built royally honks me off...........

Californian Elitist

Disneyland most definitely does not have a clear direction...

Iger has been ruining the DLR experience for the past few years, and the disgusting juggernaut that is SWL will be the nasty cherry on top come May. None of the recently new additions to WDW warrant me to purchase flight and park tickets anytime soon.

If anything, I can thank Iger for opening my mind to using my money elsewhere. I’m going to a few places this year and will continue to add more destinations in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom