Why Choose Disney?

NickWilde

Original Poster
Of all the theme/amusement parks in the world, what has you coming back time and time again to Disney? Especially when a lot of these options are a lot closer? I’ll tell you my personal reason I adore the parks:

I live a short drive away from both Six Flags NJ and Rye Playland, yet Id rather travel all the way to Florida or California if I wanted a theme park experience. Reason #1 on why I do this is that Disney is just so much better than the two parks listed above, in almost every way. I find Playland to be just a glorified carnival, way too tacky and cheap. While Six Flags does have a ton of roller coaster options, (I’m a big coaster fan, the reason Everest is my favorite theme park ride of all time is because it’s a well-themed yet still fun coaster) everything else from the theming (they didn’t even try in most places) to the food (ugh) is a lot worse than at WDW or DLR. Second reason is nostalgia. I grew up watching Disney movies, and visiting the parks, and there’s still a sense of unrivaled quality associated with their brand. There’s just something about them, that can’t be matched by any other company. (Sorry Universal, I gave you a chance, but you blew it.) Whenever I step into one of their parks, I can just drop all my fears and worries of the outside world, and just enjoy myself. I forget about anything going on behind the scenes, and let the magic flow through me. (Also, getting to meet the characters from my favorite Disney films, both old and new, bring out my inner child.) My last reason is redoability. No matter how many times you go to WDW or DLR, no two times are exactly the same. You might stay at the same resort as before, and go to the parks in the same order as before, but you’ll never have the exact same experience as last time. Disney is constantly adding new things and changing pre-existing things, so there’s always something new to do.

CLEtoWDW

All excellent points. I agree with Disney’s immersive factor... the moment I step foot on Disney property it truly feels like a different world and almost like a perfect utopia where every single sense will be fully immersed in Disney. The smells, the sights, the sounds, the intangible feeling of nirvana, and the taste of all the wonderful food and beverage I get to enjoy. No other place in the world has even come close to that feeling for me.

eliza61nyc

I also live closer to 6 flags great adventure and a park called Dorney park.
1) I am not a big lover of thrill rides which most of these parks specialize in. they are always trying to build the biggest rollercoaster since I don't ride coasters there isn't much for me to do there
2) I find these parks are not family centered. what I mean is pretty much you go to Dorney and parents simply "follow" along or behind the kids as they run to the next ride. Disney offers the ability to engage in activities as a family.
3) variety. lol as much as folks here like to complain about how the rides are not A ticket rides or S ticket rides or whatever the metric is, the rides IMO are pretty good. especially for the average jane or joe who is not comparing it to the 1990's. Sure maybe Epcot is not like it was in 19800 whatever but it's still very unique and interesting.

Omi19

First trip to Magic Kingdom was a month after it opened. We drove from South Florida, with elementary school aged kids, and went back home the same day 'cause that was all that could be afforded. Many decades later we are living in Southwest Florida, just the two of us, and still drive 2.5 hours a couple of times a year. Agree that each experience is different and memory making. Kids come back home periodically. We do WDW with them occasionally. It's unique.

mbroschak

Thank you so much for this post! There has been so much negativity posted on this site by “superfans”, it is so nice to see why we love Disney so much!
For me, its about the feeling I get when I’m there in my heart that I don’t experience at any other time or any other situation. At Christmas time at home with my family with baked goods in the oven and sitting in front of the Christmas tree is the closest I ever get to that same feeling...
Walt has given us all a gift... the gift of being able to feel the wonder that a kid feels where the world is so big, colourful and magical... and aren’t we all just trying to be kids again?

Disneyfreak Jen

Jersey girl here, and I never go to Great Adventure, or any of the theme parks in the area (Dorney, Playland, Hershey, or Knoebles, etc). I don’t really feel like Disney is a theme park, it’s so much more than that.

I’m not into thrill rides....no coasters, TOT 🤮, so I love 💕 Disney parks because there so much than I CAN do, as opposed to what I won’t. I can fly on an elephant, ride in a pirate ship, listen to birds sing, and explore a haunted house with 999 happy haunts.
Never mind the similar awesomeness at AK, EP, and HS. Where else can you watch a Tiger get his check-up, soar around the world, or sing along with Frozen? What about meeting characters! I’m still upset that the White Rabbit only comes out for hard ticket events now. 😢

Disney makes it so easy. Put your Luggage tags on and your luggage is next seen in your room. ME from the airport, transportation to all the parks. Tons of food choices. Hotels are great and theming is always on point. Want to relax and get some sun by the pool in the afternoon? You can do that too. Disney is the one vacation you’ll never be bored, but will have plenty of places to relax by the pool if you choose.
The sounds, smells, background music in the parks and lands. Gives me chills just thinking about it. 🤗 Where else do you get excited when you know you’re still 455 😩 days from our your trip but you already started working on your Touring Plan? (I know I’m not alone people, the sickness is REAL!!) 😂😂
Disney makes it so that nothing else is comparative.

JIMINYCR

NO ONE DOES IT LIKE DISNEY!!! I've been to many different parks. I've never found any to be able to give me the same level of enjoyment and entertainment over 2 weeks time. And do it again on every return trip. . Sure there are parks that have one or two thrill rides that are more exciting than Disneys, but once you get past those thats it. Disney has everyone else beat in park themes, attraction theming, guest service, friendly cast members, variety of attractions, dining options, snack options, shows and fireworks. We can sometimes get upset about chipped paint, blown lightbulbs, dirty restrooms, trash on the pathways and more. But when it comes down to giving guests the best entertainment and service... everyone else is miles behind Disney.
The other parks are my go to places when I cant get to Disney. They fill the void that gives some enjoyment but I always come away from them saying... That was nice but it wasnt at all like Disney.

Patcheslee

Our first trip wasn't until June 2017 when DD was 8, which at the time was planned as a 1 time visit we wouldn't get to do again. It was also our first real vacation I'd ever taken. Others were weekend trips a couple hours from home to the local amusement parks with DD but not much else. I like being able to have so many options and the fact you can't do it all. We have decided to come back again in 2019 just because you can't be bored of things you have done yet. And yes growing up with nothing, asking for change to eat, I feel I've accomplished something by being able to do the extras for my kid, so it is a bit of a personal feel good situation.

Smiley/OCD

We live 20 minutes from Great Adventure and I agree with all of the other NJ/NY/PA posters on here...The summer after high school (82) and the first 2 years of college, I was at GA almost every weekend. When you're young, you're adventurous and the body thrives on the thrills. Now in my 50's, I just don't get the same "high" from GA as I did when younger. I guess the "get up and go" got up and went...

For those of you too young to remember GA when it opened in the mid 70's, the park was totally family orientated and SPOTLESS. I was there 2 years ago...peeling paint everywhere (not just on railings), many more thugs than families there and I had to pray that my truck was there when we left. You don't get that feeling at any Disney park. Once you get off Rt. 4 and onto Osceola Pkwy. and see the red and purple exit signs, you are IMMERSED in the happiest place on earth. Dorney Park, Hershey, Cedar Point, etc. are amusement parks PRETENDING to be a theme park whereas Disney (and I give some props to Uni), ARE theme parks. I don't know of anyone who visits those parks that gets the same feeling that we (WDW fans) get entering Disney property. In our 10+ visits to WDW, I can only remember ONE time I lost my temper on property...(only because my family went on Splash Mountain without me)...lol

I agree, the "doom & gloomers" on here constantly seem to complain about WDW, but for all it's shortcomings, our DF of 4 wouldn't trade it for any other park complex, PERIOD

Magenta Panther

Pretty much the only reason I still prefer WDW to Universal is Walt Disney. He's the glue. Any real magic that exists in the Disney parks derives from his vision. OTOH, the Iger acquisitions speak only of greed to me. Not developed in-house via risk and creativity, but bought primarily for merchandising profits. Screw them, with the possible exception of Pixar (and since the revival of WDAS, the shine of Pixar has faded considerably for me). I think my next visit to Florida will have me staying at Uni with a day visit to WDW. And nothing that's coming up, with the possible exception of the Mickey and Poppins rides, has me interested in the least. And that's that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Of all the theme/amusement parks in the world, what has you coming back time and time again to Disney? Especially when a lot of these options are a lot closer? I’ll tell you my personal reason I adore the parks:

I live a short drive away from both Six Flags NJ and Rye Playland, yet Id rather travel all the way to Florida or California if I wanted a theme park experience. Reason #1 on why I do this is that Disney is just so much better than the two parks listed above, in almost every way. I find Playland to be just a glorified carnival, way too tacky and cheap. While Six Flags does have a ton of roller coaster options, (I’m a big coaster fan, the reason Everest is my favorite theme park ride of all time is because it’s a well-themed yet still fun coaster) everything else from the theming (they didn’t even try in most places) to the food (ugh) is a lot worse than at WDW or DLR. Second reason is nostalgia. I grew up watching Disney movies, and visiting the parks, and there’s still a sense of unrivaled quality associated with their brand. There’s just something about them, that can’t be matched by any other company. (Sorry Universal, I gave you a chance, but you blew it.) Whenever I step into one of their parks, I can just drop all my fears and worries of the outside world, and just enjoy myself. I forget about anything going on behind the scenes, and let the magic flow through me. (Also, getting to meet the characters from my favorite Disney films, both old and new, bring out my inner child.) My last reason is redoability. No matter how many times you go to WDW or DLR, no two times are exactly the same. You might stay at the same resort as before, and go to the parks in the same order as before, but you’ll never have the exact same experience as last time. Disney is constantly adding new things and changing pre-existing things, so there’s always something new to do.

When I go there, it makes me happy.

Maelstrom93

A few years ago my wife and I were at MK after it closed late, waiting for the monorail back to Epcot where we parked. We were the only ones waiting for it so the driver offered to let us ride in the nose. Late at night cruising along, watching the rail ahead, taking a spin over an empty but glittering Epcot, was a unique experience. Things like that keep me coming back.

FettFan

images

Walt Disney1955

Disney has an experience like no other. Whether it is WDW or Disneyland in California, there is a "feel" that no other place has. I don't know why. Is it the music or the nostalgia or is it the attention to detail? Probably all three. Either way there is an "aura" of Disney nothing else compares to. It has it all. All lands are themed differently. Frontierland feels like the old west. Adventureland feels like the jungle. Liberty Belle Riverboat feels like its 1900. Fantasyland feels like fairy tales come to life. Main Street USA feels nostalgic. Tomorrowland for all of its critics still has a space feel to it. Then there are rides you can't ride anywhere else. Most parks have a train that goes around it, but there is something more unique riding a steam engine in Magic Kingdom.

I love rollercoasters and there are parks that are much, much closer to me. Cedar Point, Darien Lake, King's Island, Kennywood, Canada's Wonderland are all either a day trip for me or a weekend including driving. I love them, don't get me wrong, but there is something about Disney that transports you back and away from everything. I always know I am at an amusement park when I am at those other parks, but in Disney I don't feel that way. Lastly, what would the rides be without the music? I can't imagine. Rollercoasters are fun but is there a song associated with them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom