why can we non FLoridians get the same discount

rosie.ca

i think it is great that disney gives discounts to florida residents
I know at this haunted adventure thing i work at on halloween we give free tickets to the "neighbours" for putting up with us .
We also do give some discounts to people who live in the area .

I also agree disney gives great discounts to everyone else too! you just have to look them.

I know disney gives canadian tons of great discounts they have had the hotels at par and they most recently had buy one park pass get the other half price

strobe

Re: Bear with the length of this one...

Originally posted by Snoballego
I hadn’t posted on the forum in a while. Then after rambling through this thread; I felt it was time.

Hey Cheeto!! It's great to see you back. Haven't noticed you 'trolling' lately. :D Having fun? Well that's good.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed my posts and took the time to read them through. I got a kick out of your response as well! You're actually a lot funnier than I gave you credit for. Only the Iraqi Information Minister could have outdone your manipulation of my quotes, and that's awesome!!! It takes talent to do that - seriously - it does. You just made my cold, rainy, virtual Friday here in Metro Detroit a little bit better. :lol:

You did miss one relevant part though:

-- "I totally understand the need for Disney
-- to support Florida residents, therefore keep
-- that program in place and DON'T TOUCH IT!"

But it's alright. Just because you're such a cool guy, I'll forgive ya.

You're also 100% right about getting my tuition refunded. I'm going to start looking into that right away. Maybe they'll hook me up if I tell them it was your idea! Whatchya think? Could you help me out with that? Just let me know...

Anyway, thanks for your advice, and for taking the time to drop some of that superior knowledge and refined intellect of yours. It's ALWAYS a pleasure!!!! :)

I hope you have a WONDERFUL holiday. :wave:

-- Your buddy, "Mase" (cac)

Stitch79

Re: well I have not been sarcastic....

Originally posted by bjlc57
However,, dont you think for the good of the economy, especially with the war being on, and the loss of tourism in Florida, that Disney could offer a one time deal this time?

We are on the balance point, and the discount would MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD whether to come to Florida or not.

Maybe you don't work in the tourism industry. However, if tourism jobs keep dropping, like they are in Winter Haven, it will affect the rest of the Florida economy.

The Floridians who have posted seem to be just skirting the statement that "we don't need your money."

Well I owned a tourist ladend business in Wisconsin, and when we made changes so that my tourists decided to go to other states and spend their money there, my store and others like it , went out of business., never to reopen again... This is not a story but fact..

Just a Gu who never had a bad day at Disney..

I still have not seen one post on this discussion that has said "Disney does not want the out of state visitor's money". I think you are skirting the issue when we have pointed out twice the discounts available to everyone in the US or beyond to try and help you.

rosie.ca

and by the way if *everyone* had the same discount then it wouldn't be a discount...it would just be the price.
so what your saying is you want disney to lower their prices ...which would be nice but not going to happen any time soon.

tiggerlover1971

Originally posted by rosie.ca
and by the way if *everyone* had the same discount then it wouldn't be a discount...it would just be the price.
so what your saying is you want disney to lower their prices ...which would be nice but not going to happen any time soon.
:lol: I didnt event think of that !!! your right rosie

bjlc57

Original Poster
the savers I have seen have yet to beat...

I am already paying less then $40 a night for the past three times I have been to WDW..

$79 a night is double what I am paying now.. how is that a deal? yes it is off Base.. but a two room suite for $40 with a full kitchen..

The big thing is the price of the tickets. .. over $800 bucks for a family of 4 .. that is almost one third of my vacation budget for this or any other vacation.. cut that in half and you now see that my tickets and lodging are paid for.. (114 for a resident park hopper) now I justify the trip to the boss of the purse..

niteobsrvr

Re: well I have not been sarcastic....

However,, dont you think for the good of the economy, especially with the war being on, and the loss of tourism in Florida, that Disney could offer a one time deal this time?

We are on the balance point, and the discount would MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD whether to come to Florida or not.

Maybe you don't work in the tourism industry. However, if tourism jobs keep dropping, like they are in Winter Haven, it will affect the rest of the Florida economy.

The Floridians who have posted seem to be just skirting the statement that "we don't need your money."

Well I owned a tourist ladend business in Wisconsin, and when we made changes so that my tourists decided to go to other states and spend their money there, my store and others like it , went out of business., never to reopen again... This is not a story but fact..

Just a Gu who never had a bad day at Disney..

I would suggest doing a search for news articles about Cypress Gardens. If you do you will find that the attraction had been in an attendance decline for a number of years even before 9/11 and the tourism slump. The attraction didn't close because it was not offering discounts but because it no longer offered a relevant vacation experience to the people who visit Florida each year. Many, many of the people who turned out for its final day of operation were Florida residents who hadn't visited the park in 5 or 10 years.

It doesn't matter what your product or service is if it is no longer appealing to the public making the purchases. This is basically the first rule of Marketing. You must have the right product, at the right place, at a price the consumer is willing to pay, available at the right time.

In the case of Disney, they meet or exceed all of those criteria. Their biggest problem right now is that people aren't willing to travel due to terrorism fears and the economy. As I mentioned previously, discounting is not something that will change most of these folks minds. For the people who were on the fence as to whether to visit Disney or not due to these reasons, the available discounts have already enticed them and they are either here, just been here or planning to come. For the rest of the folks, they are steadfast in their mindset that it is either just to scary to travel or dropping large sums of cash on a Disney vacation just wouldn't be financially prudent right now.

I won'tgo off on the media just now and the doom and gloom picture they paint of the eceonomy or world affairs. Let me just say that these threats are not new and terrible. They have been around for a long time and eventually people have to figure out how to manage their life in a world that has just reminded them of some of the more unpleasant sides of humanity.

In a nutshell, if you can't afford a Disney vacation right now, there is always next year. Just as I do not expect my local gas station to lower the price becuase I feel it is too high, neither should one expect Disney to lower their prices just so they can afford a vacation. Instead, youmust change your own plans or habits to meet your own expectations of price vs value.

niteobsrvr

Re: the savers I have seen have yet to beat...

I am already paying less then $40 a night for the past three times I have been to WDW..

$79 a night is double what I am paying now.. how is that a deal? yes it is off Base.. but a two room suite for $40 with a full kitchen..

The big thing is the price of the tickets. .. over $800 bucks for a family of 4 .. that is almost one third of my vacation budget for this or any other vacation.. cut that in half and you now see that my tickets and lodging are paid for.. (114 for a resident park hopper) now I justify the trip to the boss of the purse..

If you have a local amusement park, check the prices there. The park in my old hometown of Cincinnati, Paramount's Kings Island, charges 42.99 for general admission. If you wanted to take a family of 4 there for 4 days it would run you about 700 dollars. They have jsut one park there, not 4 plus two waterparks, and a night time entertainment venue.

The park hopper plus then is actually an excellent value. Even if you have just the regular park hopper for 4 days that doesnt include amission to the water parks and pleasure island, you still have a great value because you can still visit downtown disney and use the Disney World Transportation system.

My point here is that Disney compared to regional park like Kings Isalnd, Cedar Point, Six Flags isnt that much more pricey and in the long run you get the Disney experience and other more tangible benefits like transportation.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
hmm.. my theory..

Most Floridians know someone (or know someone who knows someone) hired by the parks. This generally translates to...

FREE ADMISSION.

Unfortunately that also means that most Floridians are also not willing to shell out the cash for a trip to the parks...

that is my theory to why Disney offers discounts to Florida residents.

And if you want the Discount thaaaat bad.. I'll give you directions to the DMV, so you can buy yourself a genuine Florida state ID.. :rolleyes:

strobe

Re: Re: the savers I have seen have yet to beat...

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
The park in my old hometown of Cincinnati, Paramount's Kings Island, charges 42.99 for general admission.

It is pricey, but then again, Kings Island IS a beautiful park. Granted, it is no Disney World, but it is certainly a lot of fun. I do understand your point though, and I think the whole thing here is getting a little blown out of proportion. I would just like to summarize all of my ranting into one slimmed down, ammended statement for the masses.

Ok - Here it is! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"It would be really cool if Disney gave me a loyal
customer discount while attendance is low and the
economy is bad.

If not, no big deal, I'll just have to save some money,
and wait another year before I can go."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^ That is it!!! That is all I was trying to say this whole time. I hope that makes more sense to all of you Florida residents out there. I wasn't trying to say anything about the FL discount being taken away, even though the Cheeto would have you believe I was. (see my previous post for more Cheeto info).

I love Disney, and even if they raised their prices to DOUBLE what they are now, I would eventually go back. But if they offered me a discount, I could go RIGHT NOW. That's all I meant.

Now I feel better :hammer:

NowInc

Also note that MOST of the discounts us floridians get are only valid during certain times of the year (times of the year that most people HATE going to WDW)...

The "play 4 days" pass...is only valid up until summer...(as far as i know, its the only disney pass that actually EXPIRES)..and the "florida seasonal pass" has all the blackout days...signifying that we get the discounts mostly because they want us there on the times when tourism is kinda weak.

Personally...until we get discounts on things like food etc..i dont see a problem with the "florida exclusive" things...(keep in mind that I had the SAME opinion even before I moved to FL)

matt&helen

Personally...until we get discounts on things like food etc..

We do, it's called Disney's Dining Experience. You get 20% off, on every food item in Disney World up to 6 people. All the restaurants, food carts, and vendors. It can be a real money saver.

Cosmo

Originally posted by matt&helen
Personally...until we get discounts on things like food etc..

We do, it's called Disney's Dining Experience. You get 20% off, on every food item in Disney World up to 6 people. All the restaurants, food carts, and vendors. It can be a real money saver.

Now you've done it!!! You're giving away all of our secrets!
Next thing you know, you'll be showing them the secret Florida Resident Handshake!!!:drevil:

RAZORBRAD

If you go to Disney every other year and spend six thousand dollars, compared to having discounts and going every year for three thousand dollars hmmmm.... That works out to be the same.Disney is out to make a profit therefore people that live closer will go more often and will spend more money. I live in Arkansas with my family, but my brother live in Delaware with his wife and son and we still make it every year. The point is if you want something then you have to save for it. With or with out discounts people out of state are still going to go.

darthdarrel

Re: Re: the savers I have seen have yet to beat...

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
If you have a local amusement park, check the prices there. The park in my old hometown of Cincinnati, Paramount's Kings Island, charges 42.99 for general admission. If you wanted to take a family of 4 there for 4 days it would run you about 700 dollars. They have jsut one park there, not 4 plus two waterparks, and a night time entertainment venue.

The park hopper plus then is actually an excellent value. Even if you have just the regular park hopper for 4 days that doesnt include amission to the water parks and pleasure island, you still have a great value because you can still visit downtown disney and use the Disney World Transportation system.

My point here is that Disney compared to regional park like Kings Isalnd, Cedar Point, Six Flags isnt that much more pricey and in the long run you get the Disney experience and other more tangible benefits like transportation.
I have a season pass to Cedar point which is an awesome deal,it is 49 bucks to get on for one day! But it is $90. for a season pass and I get in free all season so if I go just twice it has paid for itself.:D and this discount is open to anybody anywhere!

wdwforus

I think Strobe and I are pretty much on the same page. Why not a little incentive though for the frequent out of staters? Make them able to stay 7 nights instead of 4. I know I dont get a discount up here when someone asks me to talk like a Mainah or where to find lobstah or where the Bushes live. We just smile our best Mainah smile and cant wait for October to come around till they all cross the bordah.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom