Why aren't we ever seeing any new attractions added to the waterparks?

cheezbat

Original Poster
The thread title basically sums it up...

I seriously wonder why Disney doesn't spend a few million on new attractions and slides at the waterparks every few years. The last new attraction at Typhoon Lagoon was the Crush N Gusher watercoasters in 2005...7 years ago...and it was a good addition, but a long overdue one. As for Blizzard Beach - 17 years of operation and not ONE new attraction or slide since opening day. Now I enjoy the water parks, and used to be a passholder, but I stopped buying a season pass in 2008, seeing as how it seemed Disney is no longer interested in investing into the water parks with new additions.

Now I know that DHS and DAK, as well as probably Epcot all need some serious love too, but nobody ever really seems to say anything about the waterparks.

Rowdy

Maybe it's not economical at this time? It's probably not worth the money for the attendance they're getting. Once again, until people stop coming they won't do anything. Plus, how many people come to WDW for the water parks alone? It's the side dish to the theme parks. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but after all it is Disney.

Or maybe they just realize their theme parks are in trouble. So, they're worrying about that first and foremost. :shrug:

njDizFan

Very good question. We all talk about how come the 4 parks and DTD aren't getting upgrades and new attractions but we don't usually discuss the water parks.

I would imagine that a really nice addition to the water parks would be much much less expensive than even a moderately themed B-Ticket attraction at the parks.

I have never actually been to either park but maybe they do not have an issue with capacity so there is nothing in it for them to expand.

MarkTwain

Maybe it's not economical at this time? It's probably not worth the money for the attendance they're getting. Once again, until people stop coming they won't do anything. Plus, how many people come to WDW for the water parks alone? It's the side dish to the theme parks. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but after all it is Disney.

Or maybe they just realize their theme parks are in trouble. So, they're worrying about that first and foremost. :shrug:

Our family is having our first all-water park trip this June. :lol:

3 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge, one day at each of the two water parks and reservations at Sanaa and Jiko.

Granted, we did this because we wanted to use some spare points after we get off a 5-night DCL cruise, but it is an all-water park WDW trip. :lol:

Rowdy

Our family is having our first all-water park trip this June. :lol:

3 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge, one day at each of the two water parks and reservations at Sanaa and Jiko.

Granted, we did this because we wanted to use some spare points after we get off a 5-night DCL cruise, but it is an all-water park WDW trip. :lol:

And I stand corrected. :p

Thanks for spoiling my point, you couldn't even give me a few hours!? :lol:

AswaySuller

I guess it's a few things really.
I would guess that a new slide doesn't really have as much draw as a new coaster or ride in a theme park. I for one adore rides and will try o do them all twice but I'd happily do two maybe three slides at either TL or BB and spend the rest of the day on the lazy river...

I think some people are content to just chill in the sun and dip in the pool..l not many people are happy to just sit at MK and watch a parade.

I also don't think there's as much space or expansion pads at the water parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I seriously wonder why Disney doesn't spend a few million on new attractions and slides at the waterparks every few years. The last new attraction at Typhoon Lagoon was the Crush N Gusher watercoasters in 2005...7 years ago...and it was a good addition, but a long overdue one. As for Blizzard Beach - 17 years of operation and not ONE new attraction or slide since opening day. Now I enjoy the water parks, and used to be a passholder, but I stopped buying a season pass in 2008, seeing as how it seemed Disney is no longer interested in investing into the water parks with new additions.

Now I know that DHS and DAK, as well as probably Epcot all need some serious love too, but nobody ever really seems to say anything about the waterparks.

Waterparks are second class citizens... to the main gates. Plus, they already consume so much in upkeep dollars.. water parks are extremely expensive to operate and maintain. I bet if one looked at the annual refurb budgets of the parks.. they'd top spending on some new attractions elsewhere.

MiddKid

One small clarification...Downhill Double Dipper was also added later after BB opened. Took awhile to find a picture but think I found one here...you see the blank land on the left side of the pic:
http://www.disneylove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Blizzard-Beach.jpg

Also, when looking at adding additional attractions at the parks there needs to be consideration of a direct return on investment. Blizzard Beach closes due to capacity virtually every day in the Summer. No return there by adding an attraction (unless one could argue that you could increase the overall park capacity but a slide or two would not put a huge dent on park capacity). In the early 2000s BB started to take some of the glory away from TL and we saw BB closing to capacity but TL still being open...hence the addition of Crush N Gusher to regain some of that lost demand.

The Empress Lilly

To a large extent, much of WDW is a mature investment. As in, you build something, then you have a complete product, then you reap its return on investment for thirty years.
The investment in exciting slides has already been made, seventeen years ago. They are now recuperating their money.

C.FERNIE

Im sure we will hear some news in the next year or so about water park additions. There is talk that universals land lease is about to run out on wet and wild so they are thinking about building one very close to their hotels at universal! :wave:

Rob562

One small clarification...Downhill Double Dipper was also added later after BB opened. Took awhile to find a picture but think I found one here...you see the blank land on the left side of the pic:
http://www.disneylove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Blizzard-Beach.jpg

And one more historical note, Toboggan Racers were not an opening-day attraction. They replaced an attraction that didn't meet expectations (and apparently caused a number of injuries, too).

Originally it was a large open slope with a number of bumps that made it look like a mogul run. You slid down in an innertube. The problem was that people were gaining too much momentum and the bumps acted like jumps, tossing people off the tubes. I don't think it lasted much beyond its first year.

There aren't many photos, but I've heard that you can see it in one of the Disney Sing-Along videos that was filmed at Blizzard Beach.

EDIT: OK, my mistake, I was only half-right. Toboggan Racers *was* an original attraction.
The mogul run used to be over on the other side of the mountain, in the Ski Patrol area. This run has been replaced with regular slides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6zxfja07Y#t=16m45s
You can see it at the 16:45 mark.

-Rob

dreamfinder

And one more historical note, Toboggan Racers were not an opening-day attraction. They replaced an attraction that didn't meet expectations (and apparently caused a number of injuries, too).

Originally it was a large open slope with a number of bumps that made it look like a mogul run. You slid down in an innertube. The problem was that people were gaining too much momentum and the bumps acted like jumps, tossing people off the tubes. I don't think it lasted much beyond its first year.

There aren't many photos, but I've heard that you can see it in one of the Disney Sing-Along videos that was filmed at Blizzard Beach.

EDIT: OK, my mistake, I was only half-right. Toboggan Racers *was* an original attraction.
The mogul run used to be over on the other side of the mountain, in the Ski Patrol area. This run has been replaced with regular slides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6zxfja07Y#t=16m45s
You can see it at the 16:45 mark.

-Rob

That would have been awesome. Does anyone know if it was that padded foam type stuff they use in the Ski Patrol area and the crates in the TL lazy river? Or if it was a hard solid bottom.

MickeyPeace

I love both water parks and make sure to go to at least one if not both each visit.

It would be great to see a new attraction at both. Seems most of the people who don't think so have never been.

maxairmike

I've said it before, and I'll say it a million more times; add a Wave Loch wave attraction (aka FlowRider) to Typhoon Lagoon and you won't hear a single water park addition request for as long as I or the attraction/park lasts (whichever is longer). Something like...this should provide enough capacity for Typhoon I would think, in a 270* build. :D

Oh, and a FlowCurl would be fun and challenging as well. I can do tricks on a regular FlowRider all day, but can't last 20 seconds in a FlowCurl. :lol:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've said it before, and I'll say it a million more times; add a Wave Loch wave attraction (aka FlowRider) to Typhoon Lagoon and you won't hear a single water park addition request for as long as I or the attraction/park lasts (whichever is longer). Something like...this should provide enough capacity for Typhoon I would think, in a 270* build. :D

Oh, and a FlowCurl would be fun and challenging as well. I can do tricks on a regular FlowRider all day, but can't last 20 seconds in a FlowCurl. :lol:

capacity.. capacity.. capacity... and this ride has got none :)

maxairmike

capacity.. capacity.. capacity... and this ride has got none :)

The Wave Loch numbers indicate a capacity of 720pph for the 180* WaveOz, which is pretty comparable (maybe a bit higher) to most water slides. A 270* installation would probably push it closer to 1,000. If you mean the FlowCurl, I was just mentioning it passingly as another Wave creation I enjoy, but it does work in other water parks with large crowds, like Kings Island (as part of a 3 or 4 wave "complex"). Yeah, it can create a line, but when most people can't last 20 seconds, that line can move fast.

Regardless, I just want a Wave Loch creation I don't have to spend more than 2x my Universal AP on to ride whenever somewhere in Orlando. :lol:

GenerationX

There's a FlowRider Single (or similar product built by another company) at a waterpark near us. It attracts a lot of riders and a lot of male gawkers - girls in two piece bikinis are lucky to finish their rides with their tops still attached. I wonder if this unDisneylike element keeps Disney from adding the attraction to their parks.

BB and TL are so well done, unique, and complete that they are less in need of attention than the four main parks. We visit both every trip. On our last trip, we had a free day at the end to hit something we missed or revisit a favorite, and the consensus was another day at TL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom