Why are the Muppets coming???

judyfromkansas

onecoolmama said:
I am 27 and I grew up on the Muppets. My kids are 3 and 1 and they watch The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper all the time. So we would all LOVE to see a Muppet Land!
Kids under five like anything that's colorful, moves around a lot and has a funny voice. ;)

judyfromkansas

PLTram said:
Let me be the voice of dissent here and make the presumably unpopular vote against both the Muppets and Star Wars. I grew up with the Muppets too, but back in the 60s when the Muppets were a little bit darker and a bit more edgy - and ultimately funnier than factory produced shows ("Hee Haw" with puppets IMO) that most of you are fondly remembering. My kids have no idea who Kermit and Miss Piggy are and each day more and more youngsters are embracing new heros like Sponge Bob, et. al. and growing farther and farther away from the Muppets.

The Star Wars franchise has obviously fallen on hard times judging from the box office numbers (adjusted for inflation - see
Box Office Mojo ("Star Wars" #2, "Attack of the Clones" #76)), and it'll take a miracle for Lucas to restore the Star Wars name to its original glory.

In my opinion both ideas are past their prime and it would seem to be wiser for Disney to select a more enduring classic or embrace something a bit more current - Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings for example - to devote their energies toward.
I couldn't agree more. Anyone who saw the Emmy preshow recently has to be thinking: "What is that frog doing there? He's not funny anymore. He should have been retired when Jim died". :rolleyes: Speaking of enduring classics - I was THRILLED when I read that Disney is going to make a "Narnia" movie. What a brilliant choice! In a sense, the Narnia books are a bit like a cross between "Harry Potter" (the main characters are 4 British schoolchildren) and "The Lion King" (the hero of the books is a mighty, magical lion named Aslan who's a godlike King of Beasts). The books give plenty of opportunities for some incredible special effects, and they're emotional and unforgettable as well. I only hope Disney can do them justice - if anyone can, Disney can! :)

SIR90210

Good news for Muppets fans! You can buy the Muppet Show in sets of three episodes on DVD and VHS!!!!! My family currently own Elton John/ Julie Andrews/ Gene Kelley and Steve Martin/ Carol Burnett/ Gilda Radner and they are FUNNY! Even my six year old brother, who has been saturated with mind numbing Nickelodeon( I swear, when I'm CEO of Disney, I'm gonna buy that channel and shut it down, along with Power Rangers) shows, and he loves it! Anyone who does not like the Muppets should get their head examined, especially if the prefer Nick crap and the Power Rangers (BIGGEST waste of money in Disney history.)

OliveMcFly

I love the Muppets. I am 22 and grew up watching the Muppet Babies. Personally I would love to see more of them in the park. Is it safe to say the last kids that remember them are 80's kids? Were the Muppets really out there in the 90's? Ya gotta love Kermit and Gonzo with his chicken. What's her name again...Camille?

figmentmom

SIR90210 said:
Good news for Muppets fans! You can buy the Muppet Show in sets of three episodes on DVD and VHS!!!!! My family currently own Elton John/ Julie Andrews/ Gene Kelley and Steve Martin/ Carol Burnett/ Gilda Radner and they are FUNNY!

Yep, I've been buying these for my seventy-something parents, who (right along with the rest of the family) are HUGE Muppets fans! Thanks for the reminder! :)

Testtrack321

I think a whole Muppet Land would be overkill, but I think a mini-land (aka, a resturaunt, a show (Muppet 3D) and a ride) would be a good idea. Same with Star Wars, but there is no room for one!

aimster

I grew up watching the Muppets and I would love to see them be as popular as they were back int he 70's and 80's. They're just over that line of insanity that they never get boring for me. I still lose it every time I see Rizzo come out dressed at Mickey in the MuppetVision preshow ("They're tourists, what do they know?" ...or something like that). I think the preshow is better than the actual show! :lol:

I think an expanded Muppet area would be a fantastic idea if it's done right.

:: shudders at the thought of anymore Star Wars movies ::

I remember a long time ago, George Lucas said there would be no more Star Wars episodes after 6. Leave it to the fiction authors to continue the story. The only reason I've gone to see Episodes 1 and 2.. and willg o see 3, is because Ewan McGregor ( ::drools :: ) is in them.

stitch001

I love the idea of a Muppetland, in MGM. it would rock peoples socks off. I think that it should be done like Studio 1 in the Paris park. but themed to the muppets and have rides and shows and what not. It would be amazing!!

As for kids, hateing on the muppets. Its really more of a thing where kids grow into them. I've seen this with all my little cousins and friends little siblings. What has to be remebered, especialy about the Muppet show, is that they were really geared twored adults, and alot of the hummor kids just don't get yet. But when they get more to the pre-teen age. or alittle bit yonger, and they discover the "wonder" of MTV and life outside of Nickalodean and Cartoon Network, they start to learn what some of the more adult jokes are. and when they understand it, they think its funny and can't get enough of them. and yeah the movies are good kids movies, but its like alot of newer disney movies, they have stuff for kids and then stuff for adults. I went through this. after watching some movies as kids, your like wow what a cool story, but when you get older and find the movie agein and pop it in, you figure out that the writers are adding stuff in to keep the parents entertained too! and that just makes the movie 10x better.

And now that the muppets are making their way back into the world of entertanment, with the Pizza Hut Comertials and hosting Emmey pre-shows and even being on I love the 70's. Older people who grew-up with them are gonna be like, OH yeah they were awesome, and then show their kids the muppets and get their kids to be like, dude that amazing. and thus starting the muppet rule alover agein, as long as they don't try it bring back Muppets Tonight. (even though I loved it.)

As for Muppet babies. I say bring it back today, even if its just re-runs. I grew up on it at really young age. and miss them every day. esepcialy now that Cartoon Network has got Baby Loony Toons, witch is a blatent rip off! That one almost made me cry when I watched it.

As for A star wars land, I always wanted a whole Star Wars park. a land wouldn't do it justuse. Theres alot of stuff that could go into it, you need more than just one land. you need almost 4 lands for each movie! Thats alot of park!

Senderella

DisneyGrl85 said:
I love the Muppets. I am 22 and grew up watching the Muppet Babies. Personally I would love to see more of them in the park. Is it safe to say the last kids that remember them are 80's kids? Were the Muppets really out there in the 90's? Ya gotta love Kermit and Gonzo with his chicken. What's her name again...Camille?

Camilla LOL

I think you're right.. you're a young one to remember the Muppets.. then again Muppet Babies was on a lot when you were a young one. I'm going to be *ok.. I'm not kidding here.. I cannot remember..I'm having to really count my fingers on this one* 27 in Feb. I remember watching the Muppet Show along with the Bozo show in the mornings. My youngest niece was born in 88. She wouldn't know what a muppet was if it came up & bit her on the Abercrombies.

Legacy

Senderella said:
Camilla LOL

I think you're right.. you're a young one to remember the Muppets.. then again Muppet Babies was on a lot when you were a young one. I'm going to be *ok.. I'm not kidding here.. I cannot remember..I'm having to really count my fingers on this one* 27 in Feb. I remember watching the Muppet Show along with the Bozo show in the mornings. My youngest niece was born in 88. She wouldn't know what a muppet was if it came up & bit her on the Abercrombies.
:wave:

I'm 21 and a huge fan of the Muppets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom