Why are some people snobby and poke fun at people who vacation at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
I've got a couple friends who live on the West Bank and the area seems to have a strong Italian presence. Cajun and Creole are pretty much interchangeable honestly... with Creoles having some ethnic Haitian or African mix, with Cajuns being more "white".

But your the only person who I've heard describe people from Covington and Slidell as Yuppies... TBH there more like your standard Mississippi redneck than Yuppies... unless them speaking a semi proper version of English and knowing the difference between or/are and their/there/they're makes them entitled Yuppies.
I was a sheriffs deputy on the north shore and I agree NOLA is an immoral city and never took my family there. I am from Jennings and it is true Cajun and very warm culture (French background) not like the stuff you see on TV those guys are jokes. My comment on the North Shore comes mainly from the rich citizens (nothing against the wealthy) but they behave worse than the criminals in N.O. most think they do not have to follow most civil laws and the kids think they will just have dad fix it that they are entitled to better treatment than others

Disney.Mike

I was a sheriffs deputy on the north shore and I agree NOLA is an immoral city and never took my family there. I am from Jennings and it is true Cajun and very warm culture (French background) not like the stuff you see on TV those guys are jokes. My comment on the North Shore comes mainly from the rich citizens (nothing against the wealthy) but they behave worse than the criminals in N.O. most think they do not have to follow most civil laws and the kids think they will just have dad fix it that they are entitled to better treatment than others

To be fair to them, they've been taught they dont have to follow the laws. IF and big IF ANYTHING happens to them acting like idiots, the first 5 times is maybe a night and jail and some community service to get it removed from their record... however, they don't generally cause any issue in my day to day dealing in the city... in inner city element does.\

I haven't spent much time that far west in Louisiana. But I've spent alot of time in Plaquemine and the other "suburbs" on the west side of BR (across the river). Never had an issue with those people but there seems to be alot of glorification of ignorance and a resentment toward education... I think 90% of the BR area doesnt realize LSU is an actual university... or they wonder why LSU spends money on the university and not just the football team lol.

Its kind of sad. Its a beautiful area. To me the swamplands and bayous are some of the most beautiful places in the world.

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
To be fair to them, they've been taught they dont have to follow the laws. IF and big IF ANYTHING happens to them acting like idiots, the first 5 times is maybe a night and jail and some community service to get it removed from their record... however, they don't generally cause any issue in my day to day dealing in the city... in inner city element does.\

I haven't spent much time that far west in Louisiana. But I've spent alot of time in Plaquemine and the other "suburbs" on the west side of BR (across the river). Never had an issue with those people but there seems to be alot of glorification of ignorance and a resentment toward education... I think 90% of the BR area doesnt realize LSU is an actual university... or they wonder why LSU spends money on the university and not just the football team lol.

Its kind of sad. Its a beautiful area. To me the swamplands and bayous are some of the most beautiful places in the world.
Your are right about the west bank area and I think a lot of the younger crowd just want to get the money first not realizing that a good education will get them much further. LSU does tick me off as well the state makes it seem LSU is the only university in the state so the Tigers share of the money goes to them.

Disney.Mike

I worked in Shreveport/Bossier city for a few years and my company worked really closely with LA Tech. Here in Nola we do alot with Tulane, UNO, Loyolla, and LSU.

I'm convinced that LA Tech is the best University in the state (at least for engineering and technology), and is a highly underrated that punches well above its weight class. I'd put it against any engineering and technology school in the country minus MIT and Caltech

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But your the only person who I've heard describe people from Covington and Slidell as Yuppies... TBH there more like your standard Mississippi redneck than Yuppies... unless them speaking a semi proper version of English and knowing the difference between or/are and their/there/they're makes them entitled Yuppies.
If you're not a native Slidellian, your family probably moved out of New Orleans shortly after I-10 opened across New Orleans East with the Twin Span relieving the Hiway 11 bottleneck.

Goofyernmost

I live less than an hour from New Orleans and I work in New Orleans (when I have to be onsite)... New Orleans Square in DL is much better. Its cleaner. You don't have to see 13 year old girls shaking their butt in some primitive African mating ritual (I think its called twerking), no homeless people harassing you, and you dont have to worry about getting stabbed/shot/robbed.
Yes, by the time my daughter graduated, New Orleans was a much calmer place, which was good because my mother (80 something at the time) went with us for the graduation and I never saw anyone have as much fun as she seemed to be having without alcohol on Bourbon Street. She later told us that she had never seen anything like that in her life and how she wished she was 60 years younger so she could party with the rest of them. That is the day when my secret mom came pouring out. She was also a hoot on the Sanchez during the dinner cruise, where she ate Alligator Jambalaya, on the Mississippi and on a swamp tour we took. Held a baby Alligator too!

I couldn't believe that this was the same person that was so mad at me one night when I had a lot to much to drink at a company Christmas party and my dad had to come and pick me up. The worse part was they had friends over that night and in order to get to my room I had to walk clear through the living room where their friends were. If I had a working brain cell that night I surely wouldn't have said, out loud, on the way through... "I had such a good time at the party tonight that I throwed up twice". That was my downfall. She didn't talk to me for a good week.
I might have failed to mention that I was only 17 at the time. Well below the legal drinking age in Vermont.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

It blows my mind how people here can sit and defend the "culture" of New Orleans. I work there because its the only major metro area thats close to my family, and I still chose to commute for an house plus 2-3 days a week when I have to be on site.

@Chef Mickey had it right... New Orleans is nothing but a bankrupt swamp, propped up only because of the Mississippi River.

Culture???? If you call absolute moral degeneracy, drugs, murder, homelessness, corruption, alcoholism culture then i maybe so. Having a couple decent jazz players does not make the city great lol.

New Orleans has good food because the inhabitants have nothing else... poor people make the best food the world over, thats not unique to NOLA.

Oh and yeah it has the worst infrastructure of any city I have ever been to in the entire United States. I would put the citys infrastructure below many cities in 3rd world countries.

Between rampant crime and rampant cajun stupidity and ignorance, NOLA is a world leading hellhole.
And yet you live there when there a countless other place to live and work. (family is a handy excuse though) Plus it might do you well to lighten up Francis. It may be all those things, but, it is one of the most interesting places in the world to visit. I never said I wanted to live there. Nuff said!

"Absolute moral degeneracy, drugs, murder, homelessness, corruption, alcoholism culture", that pretty much covers every major city in the US on any given day. 😇🥴🤮👍

LittleBuford

The best part of EPCOT is you don’t have to be in Europe for the essence. Europe is highly overrated, IMO.

Anyone's who's travelled across the pond can tell you that Epcot, fabulous as it is, in no way captures the essence of Europe.

ETA: I see from your subsequent posts that you've actually been, so I take back the "anyone" part. I'm now even more surprised that you would claim such a thing.

Disney.Mike

I pointed out how I lived about an hour away even though I have to work onsite there a couple days a week. I work from home the rest of the week.

Nawlins is on a whole nother level of degeneracy

Disney.Mike

And yet you live there when there a countless other place to live and work. (family is a handy excuse though) Plus it might do you well to lighten up Francis. It may be all those things, but, it is one of the most interesting places in the world to visit. I never said I wanted to live there. Nuff said!

"Absolute moral degeneracy, drugs, murder, homelessness, corruption, alcoholism culture", that pretty much covers every major city in the US on any given day. 😇🥴🤮👍

And I'm no prude, but I used to live in San Diego. However I had to move when Ron Burgundy taught me that the city actually stands for "a whales vagina".... That level of debauchery is unacceptable

Disney4family

I spent over 30 years in the Military, I served from Vietnam to Desert Storm, and I am now working as a consultant in the energy field. I have in the words of Johnny Cash “been everywhere man.” I have lived in several international countries and I have experienced the best and worst of many nations and cultures.

I work with a lot of “young” people. They tell me I am crazy for going to Disney for vacation now that my kids are grown. They tell me about their extreme sports and the rush they get. I just smile and say to each their own. I refrain from asking what kind of rush they would get in a fire fight or during a rocket attack.

Those co-workers that are a little older say pretty much the same thing. They tell me about their golfing or boating weekends. I refrain from asking how much they spend on these hobbies. I instead tell they about playing the Winter Summer land course or how I enjoy a boat ride across the Seven Seas Lagoon.

I try to tell people I just like the Disney “bubble.” I don’t have to worry about connections, parking, meals etc. I can move at my own pace. I eat the food I enjoy and when I ask for directions or help I get it with a smile.

I will also say that when we approach technical matters it is the same. The first thing I want to do is to fix the problem, others want to redesign the wheel. I try to tell them we should approach the issue in parallel. Fix it first get the customer back on line then redesign it.

Some people just want to argue they think they are right and everyone else is wrong, as someone else said, they are humans. I believe there was a song that explains it “everybody wants to Rule the World.”

That’s my 2 pence on the subject.
Thank you for your service!!!!!! And have a magical day!!!!!!

Chef Mickey

Anyone's who's travelled across the pond can tell you that Epcot, fabulous as it is, in no way captures the essence of Europe.

ETA: I see from your subsequent posts that you've actually been, so I take back the "anyone" part. I'm now even more surprised that you would claim such a thing.
Don’t get me wrong...I liked some parts. I just thought it was overrated and I’d literally rather go to EPCOT.

I liked Germany, the food in France, and parts of Switzerland. Hated Paris, London and Spain.

Club Cooloholic

I live less than an hour from New Orleans and I work in New Orleans (when I have to be onsite)... New Orleans Square in DL is much better. Its cleaner. You don't have to see 13 year old girls shaking their butt in some primitive African mating ritual (I think its called twerking), no homeless people harassing you, and you dont have to worry about getting stabbed/shot/robbed.
Hey OP! Over here...this..this is the answer to your original question

LittleBuford

Don’t get me wrong...I liked some parts. I just thought it was overrated and I’d literally rather go to EPCOT.

I liked Germany, the food in France, and parts of Switzerland. Hated Paris, London and Spain.

I wasn’t talking about your claim that Europe is overrated, crime-ridden, etc.—I disagree, but it’s your own opinion and you’re entitled to it. What I was referring to is the notion that Epcot can somehow stand in for the countries it represents. That’s just impossible. At best, World Showcase offers a series of intriguing and caricatural tasters. Only by going to the countries themselves can one truly experience them (and even then only a fraction of what they have to offer).

LittleBuford

You don't have to see 13 year old girls shaking their butt in some primitive African mating ritual (I think its called twerking)

I somehow missed this earlier and wish to God I’d remained none the wiser. Proof if it were needed that even fans of a progressive brand like Disney are capable of saying despicably racist thing.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

I wasn’t talking about your claim that Europe is overrated, crime-ridden, etc.—I disagree, but it’s your own opinion and you’re entitled to it. What I was referring to is the notion that Epcot can somehow stand in for the countries it represents. That’s just impossible. At best, World Showcase offers a series of intriguing and caricatural tasters. Only by going to the countries themselves can one truly experience them (and even then only a fraction of what they have to offer).
That’s true. I’d just rather be at Disney in general...perhaps it’s not just a World Showcase vs Europe preference.

Paper straw fan

True. It’s a generalization. But I do think it’s overrated, completely based on my own experiences. What else do I have? 😀

While we might disagree, that’s a fair point. I’ve been to highly regarded restaurants that just plain sucked to me. It happens. There’s some things I might give a second chance, but it’s not like there’s a Europe trip ready and waiting for you every other weekend!

I somehow missed this earlier and wish to God I’d remained none the wiser. Proof if it were needed that even fans of a progressive brand like Disney are capable of saying despicably racist thing.

Oof. Yeah That’s bad, even for here.

Chef Mickey

While we might disagree, that’s a fair point. I’ve been to highly regarded restaurants that just plain sucked to me. It happens. There’s some things I might give a second chance, but it’s not like there’s a Europe trip ready and waiting for you every other weekend!

Oof. Yeah That’s bad, even for here.
I will go back to Europe for sure and focus more on Germany, Switzerland, Holland, and maybe Luxembourg.

Paper straw fan

I will go back to Europe for sure and focus more on Germany, Switzerland, Holland, and maybe Luxembourg.

I’ve barely scratched the surface over there, but I mean wife and I had the time of our lives in Iceland, while other people we know weren’t that impressed (a major hurricane followed them up there in the form of a still big storm) so I can relate. I’ve had trips where I’d rather have been at Disney too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom