Why are so many adults are obsessed with WDW?

mdcpr

Original Poster
I know I might get flamed, so here's my disclaimer: No, I'm not a troll. No, I don't have any preconceived views on this. Yes, I'm just honestly curious.

This board is amazing. I've learned more about planning the first WDW family trip than I ever thought possible. I even know the acronyms! But I am curious about the fascination with all things Disney from adults. If it wasn't for my kids, I know I wouldn't be going, and I did go to WDW 4 times from the ages 5-15. So, what draws people to it? It is definitely not a value vacation, so is it pure fandom, escapism?

Would live some views on this.

mdcpr

Original Poster
Why? Because we were once kids obsessed with WDW... Or at least have fond memories of being there with family, friends, etc. Memories can include sights, sounds and smells.
Thank you. I did not think about it because that was no my case, but my youngers cousins and siblings are still WDW fans.

Janir

I was never the kid that got to go to Disney World or was it even ever an option when I was growing up.
For me the appeal is all since I've been an adult.
The Disney bubble is just plain fun to be in. As an adult, you can kind of be a bit of a kid and enjoy things like PotC like a kid once again. The customer service in WDW is still top notch most anywhere. The escapism into another reality of just plain fun things to do 24x7 and just enjoying the break from life for a while and stepping into a reality of simple magic, far away lands on earth, dream of being in the stars, its all a ton of good clean fun.

mdcpr

Original Poster
I was never the kid that got to go to Disney World or was it even ever an option when I was growing up.
For me the appeal is all since I've been an adult.
The Disney bubble is just plain fun to be in. As an adult, you can kind of be a bit of a kid and enjoy things like PotC like a kid once again. The customer service in WDW is still top notch most anywhere. The escapism into another reality of just plain fun things to do 24x7 and just enjoying the break from life for a while and stepping into a reality of simple magic, far away lands on earth, dream of being in the stars, its all a ton of good clean fun.
Ok. I get it. Thank you. This answer makes tons of sense. I do appreciate a high level of customer service since that lacks in most establishments. And totally get the 'break from life.'

Wendy Pleakley

I think you're starting with an incorrect conclusion that Disney is just for kids, and then wondering why adults like this thing that is "for children".

Some of the most entertaining things have kid appeal, but aren't so simple or "dumbed down" that adults can't enjoy them as well. There's stuff out there that is just for kids (Barney the dinosaur) or just for adults (gruesome horror movies), but Disney tends to hit that sweet spot of appealing to everyone.

Disney animated movies are obviously kid-friendly, but they're high quality and not simple or stupid. There's no reason someone of any age can't appreciate the art, the music, the story of most Disney films.

Beyond that, Disney parks offer an escape from reality. I like the highly-themed environments, and I don't think that's something one ages out of.

Disney parks also offer lots of things with adult appeal, like thrill rides and some great dining options.

DisFam28

Prior to children, it was the escapism from the "real" world, remembering being there with my family and friends and what it was like to be a kid again. Now, having 3 little ones, it's about seeing their reaction to the sights, the sounds, the rides, and the characters. In a little over 3 weeks, my youngest will be there for the first time and my middle will remember everything for the first time. Experiencing those moments makes the financial shakedown worthwhile. To live everything through them again and know that they will someday do this with their children, makes it something that can be shared for generations.

Disney.Mike

I just mock booked a 8 night stay at the Grand Floridian for August, just to do a price check. That includes the standard dining plan, memory maker, 7 park days, and parkhopper. The total cost comes out to be right at 6 grand. Truthfully, theres not alot of other places that we could spend 6,000 at and have nonstop entertainment... and this price could be cut in half easily but staying at a cheaper resort and by bringing some of our own food and not doing dining plan.
Changing GF to the cabins and dropping the dining plan moves the price to about 3500. Changing to the All Stars moves it to 2400 with no dining plan, 3100 for quick service, and about 3500 for standard dining

We could do a cruise that would be quite a bit less (if we went with Carnival, RC, or Norwegian)... cruises are fun, but there is less to do.

We could fly to Europe, but when you factor in flights, accommodations, paying for transportation there, food, your looking at probably more money and significantly more travel time.

Theres a ton of things we could do "cheaper", but none of those things (besides a cruise - arguably) offer the non stop entertainment options WDW does.

osucbsb

There is just something about "being in the World" that just takes our cares away. It is a feeling that is hard to explain, but every time we go to WDW the feeling returns. I am sure it is different for everybody that goes, but we love it. We went with extended family last time and you could tell it wasn't for them. To us, it is worth every penny we spend. We are currently planning our daughter's senior trip to WDW for 2021 (it is where she wanted to go). I love going with my kids, but my wife and I are also looking forward to when just the two of us go before we start taking grandkids.

Tank Man

I know I might get flamed, so here's my disclaimer: No, I'm not a troll. No, I don't have any preconceived views on this. Yes, I'm just honestly curious.

This board is amazing. I've learned more about planning the first WDW family trip than I ever thought possible. I even know the acronyms! But I am curious about the fascination with all things Disney from adults. If it wasn't for my kids, I know I wouldn't be going, and I did go to WDW 4 times from the ages 5-15. So, what draws people to it? It is definitely not a value vacation, so is it pure fandom, escapism?

Would live some views on this.
I believe it has something to do with nostalgia.
I have only gone twice and that was a long time ago but my parents did when they were young as well. Since they have been there before they know some of the good stuff and maybe planning. I think it also plays on if they want before. Going to WDW is magical for kids and when they grow up they might want to take their children to it for them to experience the magic that Disney has been giving us for almost 65 years. The parks may not be perfect but they have the magical feel to them and what makes so many people love them. So much love and attention is given and the magic continues to come with every new addition. They have what their competitors don’t have and that is what makes them so loved and visited. Over one hundred and fifty million guests visited Disney parks alone last year

Heppenheimer

Some of my happiest and clearest memories from childhood and teen years are of our family road trips to Disney World. Even as a child, I found the level of detail in the Imagineering fascinating, including the inspiration and execution.

My last teenage trip and my first adult trip were separated by about 12 years, but as soon as I pulled up to the Wilderness Lodge on that first adult visit, everything came flooding back and I felt an odd sense of the prodigal son returning home again. The same sensation hit me when I visited Disneyland for the first time. In medical terms, it's kind of like a mixture of a rush of dopamine (pleasure, excitement) and oxytocin (familiarity, warmth). Maybe Disney drugs the water....

Ocean City, NJ, affects me in a similar way for similar reasons.

Tank Man

Some of my happiest and clearest memories from childhood and teen years are of our family road trips to Disney World. Even as a child, I found the level of detail in the Imagineering fascinating, including the inspiration and execution.

My last teenage trip and my first adult trip were separated by about 12 years, but as soon as I pulled up to the Wilderness Lodge on that first adult visit, everything came flooding back and I felt an odd sense of the prodigal son returning home again. The same sensation hit me when I visited Disneyland for the first time. In medical terms, it's kind of like a mixture of a rush of dopamine (pleasure, excitement) and oxytocin (familiarity, warmth). Maybe Disney drugs the water....

Conspiracy

mdcpr

Original Poster

Hmm. That's pretty interesting. And I get it, Rehoboth Beach does the same for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom