Why are DVC resales almost never cheaper when buying “bulk” points?

correcaminos

DVC actually posts what is available 60 days out on a static page they update periodically. Currently the only resorts with any openings in the next 60 days are SSR, OKW, Aulani and Poly. Poly is only a handful of nights at a bungalow, and there are no studios open. I think I saw one time where you could get 9 nights in a row, otherwise most availability is for 5 nights or less.

Yes, SSR and OKW will usually get you something except for the busier times of the year as long as you plan in that 3-6 month window, but most of the other resorts will usually have scattered openings at best. I used to see alot of people buying at SSR/OKW because it was cheaper, and then trying to book at the other resorts at the 7 month window, helping to have the other smaller resorts book up faster. But DVC really works best for those who are able to book 6-11 months in advance.
You misunderstood what you quoted. I wasn't saying 1-3 months was easy at all. I was saying that booking at 6 months is not as hard as some implied. I realize it wasn't worded the best but that wasn't what I was trying to say at all. I'll edit it to make it more clear.

Simply that yes you can book at 7 months but doing the 3-7 month isn't as impossible as some implies. Honestly though I love OKW and keep my points there so I can get the HH booking category. So I don't see staying there as a negative as I book there at 11 months to get what I want at times. Often AKL Kidani is available as well. I cannot tell you how many times my friend books AKL for spring break at like 3-4 months out. This year they waited until a couple months out and either had to move dates a little or go with SSR.

There are a lot of SSR owners who never intend to stay there which does muck it up more than any other resort out there. They have nearly double the rooms there than OKW (quick math with a quick search).

It is better to book in the 5-7 month range but if you are flexible you can often find something less than that. If going for less days the options open more. My shortest wait from booking to travel was 3 weeks for 3 or 4 nights (have done this a few times). I have a friend who does it in less as she can drive from home (where I have to fly). So with creativity quick trips can be done, but the closer to 5 or 6 months you can book the better (except in the mid fall through marathon weekend in Jan).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom