Why Apple should buy Disney

Computer Magic

Original Poster
Interesting article. Since Steve sold Pixar to Disney, I thought Disney and Apple should be one. Although I thought of Disney buying Apple.

Interesting how this author feels Steve Jobs is already the Walt Disney of our age. We might as well make it official. Something I have always thought and stated a few times on the boards.

Maybe Disney could get back to what it stands for creativity, wonder, and imagination.

Maybe the Epcot golf ball will become an apple....LMAO

Why Apple should buy Disney
12:38p ET April 19, 2011 (MarketWatch)
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The biggest failure of my life was being let go from an employer many years ago.

I was young, found the job boring and after a while I mentally checked out. As I realized that it would reflect poorly on me to leave so soon after I had started, I resolved to stay put for a set period of time -- and then I would quit.

I suppose the feeling was mutual, because my boss beat me to the punch and let me go. That failure left a permanent scar on me, and I resolved to never let it happen again. As a wise man once said, all you have is your name and your word.

I bring this up as I ponder the future of Apple , and I can't help but wonder if it will be soon face a crossroads not unlike the one it faced in the late '80s.

Back then, it failed. Macintosh computers were fantastic products, superior to PCs in most ways and yet they lost to Wintel-based systems. As innovation slowed, Apple allowed lower-price, commoditized competitors to beat them on price and customization. Apple fell into a morass from which it did not emerge until Steve Jobs returned to the company in the late '90s.

Today, Apple is approaching a similar crossroads as innovation begins to slow. The iPhone and iPad remain category killers, but you can already see Google's Droid-based competition and others nipping at their heels. Over time, hardware becomes commoditized. That's not a game Apple is positioned to -- or desires -- to win.

It's not clear where the company goes from here, with iPod, MacBook, iPhone and iPad at various stages along the maturation curve. It's not in their DNA to compete with Microsoft , IBM , and Hewlett-Packard in the services and enterprise world as that's traditionally a role for within the PC space.

Apple needs to make a big move into a new product category -- something as big as the first iPod, iPhone, or iPad, which brings us to its cash horde. Apple currently has about $60 billion in cash, and is projected to earn a ludicrous $50 billion in earnings (not revenue) over the next two years. That is going to become a bigger and bigger investor concern -- what can Apple possibly do with $100 billion?

There are, in my estimation, two options. First, they give it all back to investors in the form of a dividend or buy back their own stock to reduce the float. Or, conversely, they could buy something gigantic -- something that truly changes the game.

What should it buy? Increasingly, Apple is moving away from computing and toward the intersection of computing, communications, and media delivery. That's Steve Job's vision of a post-PC world, and his company is already world-class at computing, communications, and media delivery. The missing piece of the puzzle, of course, is content.

Enter Disney . The music industry has already accepted that they're at the mercy of iTunes. The television industry had more time to respond to the threat of Netflix and is fighting back with Hulu and other initiatives. Google has YouTube, Amazon is muscling its way into the space, and now Facebook is going to give it a shot.

It's clear this fight won't be as easy for Apple as the music score was. What better way for Apple to show its dominance than to buy the House of Mouse? Steve Jobs is already on the Board of Directors, he loves brands, and Disney stands for creativity, wonder, and imagination -- not unlike Apple.

Steve Jobs is already the Walt Disney of our age. We might as well make it official.

Minyanville contributor Conor Sen is a private investor currently based in Atlanta, Georgia and has a position in Apple.

duff527

Interesting article. Since Steve sold Pixar to Disney, I thought Disney and Apple should be one. Although I thought of Disney buying Apple.

Interesting how this author feels Steve Jobs is already the Walt Disney of our age. We might as well make it official. Something I have always thought and stated a few times on the boards.

Maybe Disney could get back to what it stands for creativity, wonder, and imagination.

I wouldnt want Disney to become a giant advertisement for Apple products, so I'm not sure about a purchase, but certainly some type closer tie between the two, or Steve Jobs' becoming a prominant leader in Disney decision-making, would certainly lead to better things for Disney.

SOLISIMO

I wouldnt want Disney to become a giant advertisement for Apple products, so I'm not sure about a purchase, but certainly some type closer tie between the two, or Steve Jobs' becoming a prominant leader in Disney decision-making, would certainly lead to better things for Disney.

Why not? Atleast they dont make it soo obvious like Busch Gardens does:lol:

Thrill

My problem with this is that Apple is a hardware and software company. They are not an entertainment business. iTunes has a hold on the music industry, yes, but it's mostly there to help sell iPods. Another concern is that Steve Jobs has been fighting health problems for a few years now, and I don't really know how well Apple will do when he retires.

On the other hand, Apple has been pretty innovative in the past few years, and they're all about quality. Most times you pay a premium for it (at least with laptops and desktop computers, the other products are all in line with competition), but it's a tough argument that there are any products of better quality than Apple's. If Apple were to buy Disney, it would be a safe bet that the quality from Disney would increase.

It's an interesting possibility, but I really can't see it happening, mostly because of the cross between industries. I guess Disney's movie library would help iTunes, but other than that, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Computer Magic

Original Poster
My problem with this is that Apple is a hardware and software company. They are not an entertainment business. iTunes has a hold on the music industry, yes, but it's mostly there to help sell iPods. Another concern is that Steve Jobs has been fighting health problems for a few years now, and I don't really know how well Apple will do when he retires.

On the other hand, Apple has been pretty innovative in the past few years, and they're all about quality. Most times you pay a premium for it (at least with laptops and desktop computers, the other products are all in line with competition), but it's a tough argument that there are any products of better quality than Apple's. If Apple were to buy Disney, it would be a safe bet that the quality from Disney would increase.

It's an interesting possibility, but I really can't see it happening, mostly because of the cross between industries. I guess Disney's movie library would help iTunes, but other than that, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

I kind of see the synergies already. Remember Disney is more then just the theme parks. But even it theme parks, look at the interactive queues that are being made, the website, online dinning, fastpasses. All of this on Apple products. Also Look at it as media as ways to broadcast your product.

Steve has already led the way for the new Disney. i agree, maybe a partnership is better then ownership. Not sure the FCC would want a monopoly with only ABC and ESPN available over an IPHONE.

Great conversation....

ajt5027

I kind of see the synergies already. Remember Disney is more then just the theme parks. But even it theme parks, look at the interactive queues that are being made, the website, online dinning, fastpasses. All of this on Apple products.

Its my opinion that Apple wouldn't necessarly need to buy or partner with Disney for all of these amenities to be offered over the iPhone. It's already the industry standard, and Disney would want to pair itself with the best.

That being said, I'm not sure Apple would want to make such a large investment into a content company. There are so many aspects of the Walt Disney Company that Apple has no experience in, primaraly Parks and Resorts and motion pictures. The idea of having exclusive content and disribution rights for things like movies and in-park apps is a great idea content wise, but what does Apple know about production?

It seems like there is too much risk involved here for a computer company to buy a entertainment conglomerate. Great discussion tho.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I have never had so much crappy service from a company that I dropped over 3k in cash of my pocket with. Their employees know how to read the box and that is about it. The caliber of employees they standard themselves to and the quality of Disney's are a complete 180.

stratman50th

I think Apple should buy Disney. Then Disney would become shiny, proprietary, and you can only make reservations if you have a MAC. At least then the park would come out with something new but useless every year and raise the prices. Which of course wouldn't be a problem because all of the fanboys would still be camped out in front of the Magic Kingdom all night long waiting to be the first to see the latest character or attraction. :D

The Apple have an entertainment business. and also iTunes has a hold on the music industry. The Disney would become shiny, proprietary, and you can only make reservations so that apple requiring the Disney to buy.

flavious27

Disney is too large for apple to buy, its market cap right now is 81.7 billion. Along with that, the cultures between the two companies and their investors are different. In addition, it wouldn't make sense because it would not add any value to apple's current products.

flavious27

I kind of see the synergies already. Remember Disney is more then just the theme parks. But even it theme parks, look at the interactive queues that are being made, the website, online dinning, fastpasses. All of this on Apple products. Also Look at it as media as ways to broadcast your product.

Steve has already led the way for the new Disney. i agree, maybe a partnership is better then ownership. Not sure the FCC would want a monopoly with only ABC and ESPN available over an IPHONE.

Great conversation....

Disney isn't going to pay the prices that apple charges for their products. There is a reason that companies use pcs that are windows based, with microsoft nos, the total cost of ownership is so much less.

Also, if apple owned disney and switched everything over to a mac os, the cost of yearly upgrades to every guest vieweable machine would be an incredible cost. After the billions needed to switch their networks to mac.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom