Why AP Holders are waiting in line for hours to pay $20....

bluerhythym

I really don't understand the obsession with cheap plastic collectibles, but these are the people that the parks are tailored for nowadays. Disneyland was a park built on quality craftsmanship, how has it come to this?

(Rhetorical question, I know the answer is $$$)

Rich T

This is how a lot of us longtimers view the effect of AP holders: It's like we've had this wonderful park/modern art museum full of magic, wonder and history to visit once a year all our lives... And now when we visit, the place is clogged up with strange people who seem to "live" there, treat it like it's their own living room, stand in line for beany babies, stake out spots to watch fireworks for the sixth time that week, and (this story is true) loudly and proudly proclaim that Oswald is Mortimer Mouse. And the park/museum has decided to cater to these people, because it turns out they'll worship any cheap event or piece of overpriced crud offered to them.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

How much freaking popcorn does one person (or even a whole family) need in a day? Are they just grazing on it for hours? And do they show up at the turnstyle the next morning with their bottomless cornbucket ready to go???
The popcorn has nothing to do with it. They want the bucket. It doesn't matter if it's refillable or single-use or whatever.

CaptainAmerica

This is how a lot of us longtimers view the effect of AP holders: It's like we've had this wonderful park/modern art museum full of magic, wonder and history to visit once a year all our lives... And now when we visit, the place is clogged up with strange people who seem to "live" there, treat it like its their own living room, stand in line for beany babies, stake out spots to watch fireworks for the sixth time that week, and (this story is true) loudly and proudly proclaim that Oswald is Mortimer Mouse. And the park/museum has decided to cater to these people, because it turns out they'll worship any cheap event or piece of overpriced crud offered to them.
A good friend of mine just got back from her first trip to Disneyland and she said the local passholders nearly ruined the experience, to the point that she's sure she'll never go back and somewhat regrets going in the first place. She said the people there to get merchandise for Pixar Fest were ten times worse than anything she's ever experienced with Brazilian tour groups or Pop Warner football teams in Orlando.

Rich T

A good friend of mine just got back from her first trip to Disneyland and it she said the local passholders nearly ruined the experience, to the point that she's sure she'll never go back and somewhat regrets going in the first place. She said the people there to get merchandise for Pixar Fest were ten times worse than anything she's ever experienced with Brazilian tour groups or Pop Warner football teams in Orlando.
Years ago I witnessed how "collection obsession" can turn the most normal-looking middle-aged woman into a shrieking, cursing, violence-threatening, red-faced maniac... over a beany baby robin. When I see that behavior in Disney fans, I really want to puke.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Someone keep an eye on this one. Might be useful as a spy.

Exactly how many popcorn buckets have you boughten?
edRA1_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

You'll never knooooooow....

Old Mouseketeer

No AP here. :) I'm a "buy my park-hoppers at AAA for my annual trip" guy.
Smart. Of course, having a relative with a main gate pass is good, too. It's kinda the SoCal equivalent of every catholic family contributing a son or daughter to be a priest or nun in the old days. Many SoCal families sacrifice a child to work for the Mouse. I read it on the Interwebs so it has to be true!

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

This might be a shock, but I haven't even had my AP for a full year (Memorial Day 2017).

Welcome to AP Anonymous. My name is Old Mouseketeer and I'm a Passaholic. It's been six years since my last Annual Pass.
1. We admitted we were powerless over Disney—that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
etc.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Welcome to AP Anonymous. My name is Old Mouseketeer and I'm a Passaholic. It's been six years since my last Annual Pass.
1. We admitted we were powerless over Disney—that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
etc.
Don't get me wrong. I've been a solid park's visitor since '90. Just um...never needed a pass :)

Rich T

I believe it is inevitable that Disney will get rid of the AP and replace it with a 1000$ club card that gets you discounted day tickets. I've done a lot of thinking and that's the best solution.
I think the best solution is just eliminate the AP and don't replace it with anything. Offer a decent discount on non-transferable multi-day passes, and offer it to everyone.

TROR

Ending the AP and ending Fastpass would be two of the best things Disney can do to improve guest experience.

TROR

Please elaborate
Generally speaking, AP's clutter the parks, are self entitled, rude, and are responsible for the lowering of quality within the parks' offerings.

With Fastpass, they increase wait times as proven by the recent addition of them to TSMM and Matterhorn.

SuddenStorm

Generally speaking, AP's clutter the parks, are self entitled, rude, and are responsible for the lowering of quality within the parks' offerings.

Generally speaking, people are people and people can be rude. I was an AP for most my life, and never once considered it to be a source of entitlement. Most share a similar sentiment. There are always gonna be rude guests, whether they be AP holder's or not. I think the idea that AP's are horrible in the parks is blown out of proportion online. Most go and are unnoticed, but a few bad eggs ruin it for the rest of them.

With Fastpass, they increase wait times as proven by the recent addition of them to TSMM and Matterhorn.

This is something I've tried to debunk in the past, but I'll try again now.

The "it increases standby wait times" is only looking at once piece of a much bigger puzzle, since Fastpass in no way effects the capacity of the attraction. The same number of people are able to get on, some who wait as little as 5 minutes, and others who choose to wait 45. If fastpass limited the amount of people who were able to ride, there'd be a problem.

Let's say Space Mountain and Splash Mountain both have 100 minute waits (which isn't unusual). If someone has to wait in the 100 minute standby line for Space Mountain, if they have a Fastpass for Splash Mountain, they can skip that 100 minute line- which equates to about 50 minutes of waiting per ride. It essentially doubles the efficiency of your queue time.

Or, you can Fastpass every popular ride, limiting your stand by lines to the rides that don't have it- allowing you to do more in the day, and spend less time waiting in line.

So even if you end up waiting longer to ride something stand by, if you're using the Fastpass system you can still very easily come out ahead.

I'd hope that everyone on this forum utilizes Fastpass whenever possible, since it's a free service- everyone has the opportunity to benefit from it.

TROR

Generally speaking, people are people and people can be rude. I was an AP for most my life, and never once considered it to be a source of entitlement. Most share a similar sentiment. There are always gonna be rude guests, whether they be AP holder's or not. I think the idea that AP's are horrible in the parks is blown out of proportion online. Most go and are unnoticed, but a few bad eggs ruin it for the rest of them.

Rude or not rude, it doesn't negate the fact that AP's do clog up the parks which I believe is a reason alone to end the AP program.

This is something I've tried to debunk in the past, but I'll try again now.

The "it increases standby wait times" is only looking at once piece of a much bigger puzzle, since Fastpass in no way effects the capacity of the attraction. The same number of people are able to get on, some who wait as little as 5 minutes, and others who choose to wait 45. If fastpass limited the amount of people who were able to ride, there'd be a problem.

Let's say Space Mountain and Splash Mountain both have 100 minute waits (which isn't unusual). If someone has to wait in the 100 minute standby line for Space Mountain, if they have a Fastpass for Splash Mountain, they can skip that 100 minute line- which equates to about 50 minutes of waiting per ride. It essentially doubles the efficiency of your queue time.

Or, you can Fastpass every popular ride, limiting your stand by lines to the rides that don't have it- allowing you to do more in the day, and spend less time waiting in line.

So even if you end up waiting longer to ride something stand by, if you're using the Fastpass system you can still very easily come out ahead.

I'd hope that everyone on this forum utilizes Fastpass whenever possible, since it's a free service- everyone has the opportunity to benefit from it.

With attractions that have Fastpass, the stand by line is stopped every 5 or so minutes to allow the Fastpass line to enter. This causes longer stand by lines. Like I mentioned earlier, when FP was added to both TSMM and the Matterhorn, they both saw wait times double. We also see that happen with HMH. There's also an argument to be made that FP harms the artists' original designs as the interior queues for both Indiana Jones Adventure and Space Mountain. Another argument can also be made that FPs cause more clutter elsewhere in the park. While you virtually stand in line with your FP ticket, you are able to roam the park (filling walkways) or get on another attractions (longer lines elsewhere).

Rich T

Best solution for the park guest, or Disney?

Cause that seems like a poor decision for both.
In the end, best for both. The park experience will improve for everyone, which means more return visits for " normal" guests, good word of mouth, and healthy business for Disney. For the majority of locals, the money spent on multi-day tickets in a year wouldn't be any more than an AP anyway. As for the extremists who want to spend every day of their lives at the parks...Well, they've caused the problem, and they can go stick their heads in a refillable popcorn bucket. Full of Dole Whip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom