Why AP Holders are waiting in line for hours to pay $20....

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/24/disneyland-fans-stand-in-line-to-buy-20-popcorn-buckets/

>>It wouldn’t shock anyone to discover that people are standing in line at Disneyland, but what about waiting for hours to buy popcorn?

OK, OK, it’s not just popcorn, but rather the plastic popcorn bucket that’s the draw. It’s designed in the shape of the little green alien from the “Toy Story” movie franchise and is available for a limited time only.

For the tiny sum of $20, Disneyland annual passholders can buy this limited edition bucket and refill it as often as they like for $1 each until June 21. That’s why folks are waiting in line in front of the park’s 11 popcorn carts at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, because they’re afraid the supply of buckets will run out and then they’ll be left with … nothing.

“It appears to me that the marketing people at Disney, have latched onto a gold mine,” Disney annual passholder David Brock said in an email about the popcorn bucket lines, pointing out that the resort’s most avid fans simply can’t resist anything deemed as limited edition. Disneyland says the buckets will be on sale only until May 24.<<

And the best line is at the end of the article....

>>“We’re just the weirdos who like this,” she said. “There’s a whole circle of us.”<<

TROR

Popcorn at Disneyland is $15 so I can't judge those who are purchasing this to save money over the long haul, but do you know what would save you even more money? Not having an AP costing you a thousand dollars.

Those who buy these buckets because they like to collect them, though, are the biggest suckers on earth.

mousehockey37

Those who buy these buckets because they like to collect them, though, are the biggest suckers on earth.

If you look at my eBay link, some don't seem so much like suckers. They're attracting the suckers by selling the buckets for 4x what they're actually being sold for.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Popcorn at Disneyland is $15 so I can't judge those who are purchasing this to save money over the long haul, but do you know what would save you even more money? Not having an AP costing you a thousand dollars.

Just because you don't see value in it and they do doesn't make them a sucker. I'm sure there are plenty of things in your life you see value in that others don't.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I was fortunate enough to never catch the Cult of Disney disease, even though I covered the parks for a long time for many different Disney Related Websites. (And was hated by some fans)... I think that was good proof of doing a good job, getting many positive comments, and then having a few "Disney can do nothing wrong" fans/CM's upset... And since I covered the creation and building of DCA 1.0, and the first ten years of operation, I had plenty of material to get the goat of many of the die-hards....

I think I am friends with so many different CM's, some senior and retired, due to not being a crazed Disney Fan where they can do no wrong.

I guess it is the same with my working relationships with some very senior Theme Park executives, where I will talk about both the good and the bad, and not hold back when something sucks.

Last edited:

TROR

Just because you don't see value in it and they do doesn't make them a sucker. I'm sure there are plenty of things in your life you see value in that others don't.
I'm sure I do, but I don't have these things because I need every new thing a mega corporation is producing.

In all seriousness how much is a regular popcorn at Disneyland? It can't really be $15.
It's what the Disneyland website said. Thought it was more $5 or $6 tho.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I was fortunate enough to never catch the Cult of Disney disease, even though I covered the parks for a long time for many different Disney Related Websites. (And was hated by some fans)... I think that was good proof of doing a good job, getting many positive comments, and then having a few "Disney can do nothing wrong" fans/CM's upset... And since I covered the creation and building of DCA 1.0, and the first ten years of operation, I had plenty of material to get the goat of many of the die-hards....

I think I am friends with so many different CM's, some senior and retired, due to not being a crazed Disney Fan where they can do no wrong.

I guess it is the same with my working relationships with some very senior Theme Park executives, where I will talk about both the good and the bad, and not hold back when something sucks.

Congrats?

D

Deleted member 107043

And the best line is at the end of the article....

>>“We’re just the weirdos who like this,” she said. “There’s a whole circle of us.”<<

I have a very close friend who grew up in Orange County, even worked at Knott's while in college, and visits his parents there many times throughout the year. His demeanor changes whenever the topic of passionate local Disney fans is raised. The way he says "And these people are adults with no kids and they have annual passes" with a twinge of suspicion always amuses me. If I ever buy an annual pass I'll definitely have to keep it a secret from him. :D

2917dr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Phroobar

I'm sure I do, but I don't have these things because I need every new thing a mega corporation is producing.

It's what the Disneyland website said. Thought it was more $5 or $6 tho.
It's only $4.95. It's $15 for a collectible bucket. If you flash your AP the collectible bucket is $20 but you refill for $1.

such-a-deal.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Something only has value when someone perceives it as valuable. To them these things that a "mega corporation is producing" are valuable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom