Whole Resorts already booked...

righttrack

We in the Northeastern US get "February Vacation" from school. It's a weeklong break typically the week before or the week after President's day. It was designed to conserve energy and dates back to 1973. The idea was that they didn't have to heat the schools for a week. The day back from February has traditionally been "School's closed because the pipes burst day" because they took it literally sometimes and didn't heat the schools at all and the pipes froze.

It's a big WDW vacation week for people from here.

The Mom

Premium Member
We in the Northeastern US get "February Vacation" from school. It's a weeklong break typically the week before or the week after President's day. It was designed to conserve energy and dates back to 1973. The idea was that they didn't have to heat the schools for a week. The day back from February has traditionally been "School's closed because the pipes burst day" because they took it literally sometimes and didn't heat the schools at all and the pipes froze.

I had February vacation growing up in RI - and that was well before 1973 - so didn't have anything to do with saving energy. It ran for a week sometime between Lincoln's Birthday (Feb 12th) and Washington's Birthday (Feb 22nd) depending upon when they fell. They were both school holidays back in the days when holiday's were not routinely celebrated on Mondays. Memorial Day was May 31st, Columbus Day was Oct 12th, Veteran's Day was Nov 11th. Monday Holidays became a thing in 1971 - except labor Day was always on a Monday. ;)

We also had another week off in the Spring.

The Mom

Premium Member

I stand corrected. NY did start having that week off in 1973 to conserve energy. But I was able to find an old article in the Boston Globe archives - circa 1916 - suggesting that the break should be shortened. So it's been around for over 100 years. So all of my life. And my parent's lives.

righttrack

I stand corrected. NY did start having that week off in 1973 to conserve energy. But I was able to find an old article in the Boston Globe archives - circa 1916 - suggesting that the break should be shortened. So it's been around for over 100 years. So all of my life. And my parent's lives.

Here it happened in second grade for me, I remember them making a big deal out of it. New England seems to have done it earlier for different reasons. Now they are talking about shortening it here.

Amos1784

We have gone in February (different times) the past three years. It has increasingly become a very busy time to visit and like all others said groups/marathon/president's day. We found February was way more crowded then it was even over Thanksgiving. This February, while the weather is typically amazing will probably be our last for a while due to all those factors.

yaksplat

NY used to be a two week break at Easter. Sometime in the last 20 years, it switched to a split break in February and near Easter.

Nemo14

NY used to be a two week break at Easter. Sometime in the last 20 years, it switched to a split break in February and near Easter.

Many schools here in RI are doing away with the February break and April break, and just scheduling one week off in March.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom