Who to contact? Police/Firefighter discount

hemloc

And we won't even get into the "ethical" issues that discounts and gifting in the wonderful world of law enforcement bring up... I make more than enough money as a GS-13 working for the feds(Much more than I ever did make in the military! They definitely deserve a discount!). I certainly won't turn a discount down if everyone else gets it across the board, but I would never, ever ask for one.

lt94

And don't forget teachers. And doctors. And nurses. And students. And school bus drivers. And...

Get my drift?

The military gets discounts because of a long-standing partnership between Disney and the Military that is mutually beneficial.

True heroes don't need (and certainly do not demand or even ask for) discounts or special treatment. They do it because they feel it's the right thing to do, or their duty.

And maybe Disney may think it's the right thing to do. As for the comments above the next time you need help call a teacher,doctor or nurse nothing agenst them but more firefighters or police officers have a higher level of death protecting us daily than the above stated

Goofnut1980

And don't forget teachers. And doctors. And nurses. And students. And school bus drivers. And...

Get my drift?

The military gets discounts because of a long-standing partnership between Disney and the Military that is mutually beneficial.

True heroes don't need (and certainly do not demand or even ask for) discounts or special treatment. They do it because they feel it's the right thing to do, or their duty.

Upfront - I apologize if this offends anyone, but it is just my opinion.

I could not agree more AEfx. I have a friend who is married to a firefighter. He does work 3 days in a row, and is not home every night, but then he gets 4 days off in a row. He will sometimes pick up a shift at another fire department on off days but in doing so he is making about $95k a year... And to ask for a discount kinda gets under my skin. I have another friend who is a highway patrol officer, works days and is making twice what I make. I work and full and part time job and barely make $38k a year. I am not asking for a discount to Disney because I don't make a lot of money, I simply watch for one they offer to the public.

Disney is a for-profit organization. If every Tom, ________ and Harry asked for a discount how would the organization continue to run. I feel what they do for our military men and women is amazing and truly not enough of a discount. Remember, Disney is a vacation destination and if you don't like that they don't give your job a discount, don't go. It is quite simple.

Again, I apologize if I offended any of you, as it was not my intent. I just wanted to share my perspective on how I see things.

emcclay

I was going to write this really well thought out post to give some of you a better perspective on what police officers see everyday. Then it became clear to me that most people would not care and try to make up a lame excuse as to why another profession is in the same ballpark.

Discounts to ALL the military and police!

Jimmy Thick

I was going to write this really well thought out post to give some of you a better perspective on what police officers see everyday. Then it became clear to me that most people would not care and try to make up a lame excuse as to why another profession is in the same ballpark.

Fantastic post, I could not have said it better.

Jimmy Thick-* Wipes tear from eye *

dopeylover

Original Poster

Couldn't have said it better! I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion and beliefs, but I think some people are taking my post a little away w/ them...

First off- I didn't ask to start a petition! I simply asked for any info. regarding an address where I could send a letter stating my own personal opinion.

Secondly- As I stated in the OP, I am not just fishing for a discount...My husband is also an Officer who doesn't take every single hand out and discount handed to him..In fact, he refuses all. We can afford a trip on our own. What I am just trying to say is that if the military gets discounts for Disney, it would be nice to throw one out for Police and Firefighters every now and then. It is not a disrepect to teachers, nurses, etc.

And I have no doubt in my mind that the people stating that they don't take hand outs would jump at a Disney P/FF Discount! I think most of us on these boards would jump at anything to make Disney cheaper! And if you wouldn't I applaud and admire you for being able to turn an opportunity to save money away.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I know that they did offer NYC Police officers and Firemen discounts right after 9/11 for a while, but there are no discounts out there to stay on property for them now. The only discounts that they have are either military or if you are a teacher by staying at the Swan or Dolphin.

Pam

copcarguyp71

Most chiefs will not want area businesses to give discounts/free items to their officers/deputies. They are afraid that those that receive them will show favoritism towards those businesses, taking attention away from a police presence in other businesses that do not offer such discounts. In a weird round about way, they don't want it come off looking like a bribe for cops to hang around.

As a member of law enforcement, I have no problem with receiving a discount, as I know businesses do it as a "thank you" to those of us who serve our communities.

However, I also never expect a discount, and I would certainly never write a company demanding one. We chose our profession, and we know the risk. I witnessed a fellow officer's funeral this past summer after he was shot and killed after getting out of his squad car. It's something that crosses our minds every day, but it never stops us from doing our job.

Well said...I work with law enforcement every day and I think many of them feel as you do but it was not my place to open my mouth on this thread until you spoke up. It is a chosen profession or volunteer endeavor but should not command any sort of special treatment unless it is extended openly and not asked for. It opens some sizable flood gates as well...police versus security versus constable or even those who may not be actual firefighters but rather social members of a fire department who receive membership cards. The industry is far too ambiguous in the way it identifies it's members as opposed to card carrying members of the military I think.

Dasnowz

wanting to clarify a few things about the military discounts. They do exist but only certain times of year. They do have black out periods. 100% disabled veterans are able to utilize the discounts as well as active duty and retired. 100% disabled are also able to utilize shades of green. The discounts are very specific and very time limited. And as stated it is an agreement between the parks and the military. They military sets terms as well as Disney. Also there is a limit on tickets sold. They are sold with an expiration date to the end of the promotion period. And id's are checked. We have been asked for id's for our kids who had military base purchased tickets.

Its ironic for me to read this as we just had a huge debate over military discounts. The other parks in Orlando only offer good military discounts to active duty only. One of us in my house is retired with over 20 years and disabled. A young 19 yo kid who has been in 3 months can get good tickets. They are offered free tickets and steep discounts for guests. Retired/ disabled can get the same/similar rate as Florida resident. We moved alot on active duty and were overseas for 13 years. We had zero opportunity to utilize many discounts offered while on active duty and now that we are back in the states and have the time we are no longer eligible.

Disney makes their discounts open to all who have an id card. Side note- The military discount is close to CM discount which is a little better then Florida resident. And yes I am eligible for all 3 and we have compared them.

I think expecting a discount is over the top. If a company offers it its some gravy tossed on top for all the hardships that are faced.

Dasnowz

Military and police in my opinion are NOT in the same ballpark. Military face 100000000 times more hardship and I will defend this to the end of time. Police do not leave their families for months on end. You get to choose where you live. You can stay in the same town. Military says oh we need you here move now. We once had 3 weeks notice to move back from overseas. Military sign a contract and you will serve that many years. You do not get to decide oh I don't like this. Births of children are missed. School graduations. holidays. deaths. parents funerals. friends who are killed in the line of duty funerals. siblings weddings. the military comes first. I know military is a life choice when that contract is signed. Lets add is what we do when deployed for months on end. Risking our lives. Going into other countries where we are not welcomed.

I know several former military who are now police and they say this life is much easier.

And yes I am ready because I know many are going to argue with me on this. In my house between my spouse and I we have served 20 years and retired with 70% disability and the other one served 4 years but got out because we could not get dual duty stations. We were stationed 1800 miles apart. SO I can tell you how hard the life style is first hand.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Military and police in my opinion are NOT in the same ballpark. Military face 100000000 times more hardship and I will defend this to the end of time. Police do not leave their families for months on end. You get to choose where you live. You can stay in the same town. Military says oh we need you here move now. We once had 3 weeks notice to move back from overseas. Military sign a contract and you will serve that many years. You do not get to decide oh I don't like this. Births of children are missed. School graduations. holidays. deaths. parents funerals. friends who are killed in the line of duty funerals. siblings weddings. the military comes first. I know military is a life choice when that contract is signed. Lets add is what we do when deployed for months on end. Risking our lives. Going into other countries where we are not welcomed.

I know several former military who are now police and they say this life is much easier.

And yes I am ready because I know many are going to argue with me on this. In my house between my spouse and I we have served 20 years and retired with 70% disability and the other one served 4 years but got out because we could not get dual duty stations. We were stationed 1800 miles apart. SO I can tell you how hard the life style is first hand.

I agree with you. The military operates on a different scale.

lizza

I am a new member so that explains why I'm just seeing this forum. To the one that started it. I couldn't agree with you more about policemen and firemen getting a discount from Disney. Sure there are many jobs that help people teachers and those in the medical field included. The fact is they do not leave home wondering if the will live through the day to return home because of being shot at or having to go in a fire to rescue some man woman or child and praying the roof doesn't cave in or a flash over kill them while trying to save a life. Military and those keeping things safety within the USA have one thing in common they all put their life on the line each day they work.

razor58

As a current firefighter and prior military, the topic of discounts and who is entitled to one is always a touchy subject. One can argue that there are so many deserving professions. I do include teachers, doctors and nurses in that deserving group. Teachers because nowadays not only because they are trying to help our children learn, but they are expected to be the parents to a lot of kids in school. Doctors and nurses, because they are the ones doing the life-saving once the firefighters and paramedics bring them to the hospital. Speaking of which, paramedics should be added because in a lot of communities, they are separate from the fire department and run the 9-1-1 calls. And then there are the 9-1-1 dispatchers, who deal with so much stuff that can help the public, police and firefighters enroute to the call. They shouldn't be overlooked.

As for the military discounts, I support it, but I also think it needs to go further. Currently in most businesses they are for active duty or retired personnel. But what about those that served their one or two tours of duty and then got out? Are they any less deserving than those that served 20 years and retired? I would open the discounts to any one that served and has gotten an honorable discharge. We don't know every service members story. They could have served a tour or more in a combat region and then decided to get out when their enlistment was up. To me, they are just as deserving as those that are currently serving, or put in their 20 years (and possibly not seeing any combat duty).

I don't ask for discounts, nor seek them out, or even mention what I do or have done in the past unless someone asks. I know a lot of people that are like that in our lines of work. I just wanted to point out that it's very hard to single out a group or two when there are so many other deserving professions. And again, even in the military discounts I feel that there are groups that are overlooked that shouldn't be. That's why it's probably difficult for businesses to offer discounts, because where would it end?

BillyBuff

Just a heads up for those currently in the military, reserves, retired, or DoD... check your installation's MWR for discount tickets to WDW. I just purchased a 4-Day Park Hopper for $196/person at our MWR!

For EMT/LEOs/Public Safety, just sign up at GOVX.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom