Who to contact? Police/Firefighter discount

dopeylover

Original Poster
Hi All!

Just writing b/c I know that Disney offers discount for Military members, which I think is AWESOME, but I wanted to write them (not sure if it would even register, but it never hurts!) and express my disappointment at there not being any firefighter/police discounts, at least a couple of times a year, if not all year.

I know after 9/11 they offered one briefly, which was wonderful.

I just wanted to express to them that Police and Firefighters put their lives on the line DAILY as well, and it's all to keep us safe! My husband is a HUGE Disney fan as well, and we try to go as often as possible...It is THE place he chooses for us to get away. Being a Police Officer has its own stresses, and those men and women need and deserve to take time off to relax and cope w. that they deal w/ daily.

And no, this is not me just begging for a discount! lol
We are lucky to afford it either way, I just think it would be a nice thing for them to do every now and then.

Anyone know who to contact?

pixiesteno

I don't know who you would contact. But, don't feel alone. My DH has a service connected disability so he didn't go the full 20 years for retirement - no Disney discount. Seems to me that if a person was injured during military service that prevents them from doing the full 20 years that sacrifice should be honored too.
But then again, I guess you could make a case for discounts for almost any line of work. Very glad that the current members of the military are getting a break though

dopeylover

Original Poster
Oh Wow! I didn't know about Swan and Dolphin!

And you're right! Those injured to definitely be able to benefit! Hope your DH is ok!

wilkeliza

You could write a letter to customer service. Make it attn: lack of police and fire discount.

I have a feeling the military discount is something that is public but a deal Disney has made with the US military. There are quite a few restrictions on the discount and I have heard that during the peak season it is hard to get the room discounts. The military discount does seem to come and go. Perhaps after September they won't renew it again.

On a side note this isn't advertised by Disney but it gives out a lot of corporate discounts. I work for Starbucks and can get a discount on park tickets and sometimes rooms and packages. When I worked for the ASPCA I got a similar type of deal from them. Perhaps the military discounts work the same and it would take Disney and every police department striking some sort of deal?

Banksy

Just write to a customer service and they would have to pass it on. It really wouldn't register though...

....My dads a policeman in the UK as o i know what you're saying but then you get teachers (rightly so i guess), wanting discounts, doctors, nurses etc.

They all provide wonderful services, but discount prices can't be given to everyone.

Jimmy Thick

Anyone associated with the military, INCLUDING veterans should get a discount for what they have done for this or their nation. We are or were the true heroes of our country and deserve it.

I also think everyone associated with law enforcement and firefighting should get a discount as well. We put our lives on the line for the public every day and deserve a discount, even a little one for what we endure to keep our communities safe and protected.

If ever there was ample reason for a online petition, this would be a worthy cause.

Jimmy Thick-And we do it for you!!!

wdwfan22

I believe military receive the discount because they are away from there loved ones and home for long periods of time. Police and firefighters while they put there lifes in harms way they can still go home at the end of the day to family.

Pioneer Hall

You obviously are not a firefighter or work in law enforcement.

Jimmy Thick-Really?

I believe military receive the discount because they are away from there loved ones and home for long periods of time. Police and firefighters while they put there lifes in harms way they can still go home at the end of the day to family.

Jimmy and I don't see eye to eye often, but this is one area where I agree with him. This article is about a police officer that I knew personally for a number of years. The verdict against his killer was delivered today:

http://www.app.com/article/20120216...y-verdict?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Frontpage

wdwfan22

You obviously are not a firefighter or work in law enforcement.

Jimmy Thick-Really?

I'm in the medical field and while my position also places me away from my family for extended periods of time I don't feel that discounts need to be offered to medical personnel. I have nothing but respect for those in law enforcement and our firefighters, however I don't feel that a discount is needed and I explained why in my previous post.

WDW_Firefighter

As a professional firefighter, I think it's a great idea, lol. I doubt it will happen though. I also think it's great the military get's a discount and think they fully deserve it. As a previous poster mentioned, I thought the US military and Disney had some kind of deal worked out for these discounts.

On a side note, the poster who said firefighters get to go home every night is misinformed. I work every third day for 24 hours at a time and have worked many holidays, birthdays, and weekends. I also work a part time job on my days off. I'm not complaining by any means or am I saying we deserve a discount because of this, I'm just stating the facts and informing you.

I knew the schedule when I applied for the job. I also knew the risks of going into a burning building or working in the middle of the roadway on a wreck. I didn't want to become a firefighter to get discounts. However, to offer a discount to those who put their lives on the line everyday (military, police and fire) would be an awesome way to say "thank you".

...I also think everyone associated with law enforcement and firefighting should get a discount as well. We put our lives on the line for the public every day and deserve a discount, even a little one for what we endure to keep our communities safe and protected.

If ever there was ample reason for a online petition, this would be a worthy cause.

Jimmy Thick-And we do it for you!!!

First of all, I can think of a few slightly more worthy causes for an online petition than a discount for police and fire employees at Disney World. Should they receive a discount? Maybe. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's "deserved."

Compare Jimmy Thick's post to Nate's humble explanation, free of entitlement and self-importance. I agree with Nate that a police/fire discount would be an appropriate sign of gratitude.

As a professional firefighter, I think it's a great idea, lol. I doubt it will happen though. I also think it's great the military get's a discount and think they fully deserve it. As a previous poster mentioned, I thought the US military and Disney had some kind of deal worked out for these discounts.

On a side note, the poster who said firefighters get to go home every night is misinformed. I work every third day for 24 hours at a time and have worked many holidays, birthdays, and weekends. I also work a part time job on my days off. I'm not complaining by any means or am I saying we deserve a discount because of this, I'm just stating the facts and informing you.

I knew the schedule when I applied for the job. I also knew the risks of going into a burning building or working in the middle of the roadway on a wreck. I didn't want to become a firefighter to get discounts. However, to offer a discount to those who put their lives on the line everyday (military, police and fire) would be an awesome way to say "thank you".

AEfx

And don't forget teachers. And doctors. And nurses. And students. And school bus drivers. And...

Get my drift?

The military gets discounts because of a long-standing partnership between Disney and the Military that is mutually beneficial.

True heroes don't need (and certainly do not demand or even ask for) discounts or special treatment. They do it because they feel it's the right thing to do, or their duty.

gleddo

I've been a police officer for 26 years now. I don't think we "deserve" a discount. We get paid for what we do. Granted the salary is not very much but I'm certainly not doing the job for free. It burns me up when I see other cops at local businesses asking for discounts. When some cheapskate cop asks for a discount, it makes us all looks like we think we're entitled to special treatment. If you're a cop and you think you "deserve" a discount, you ought to find another line of work.

wilkeliza

I've been a police officer for 26 years now. I don't think we "deserve" a discount. We get paid for what we do. Granted the salary is not very much but I'm certainly not doing the job for free. It burns me up when I see other cops at local businesses asking for discounts. When some cheapskate cop asks for a discount, it makes us all looks like we think we're entitled to special treatment. If you're a cop and you think you "deserve" a discount, you ought to find another line of work.

I work for Starbucks in NYC and the Chief of the precinct in our area came in one day and told us that under no circumstance are we to give his cops discounts. The only day he allowed it was on 9/11. He broke it down to us that there is a coffee pot at the station that is free for all of them to use. They get paid and many of them work over time so if they want fancy Starbucks coffee they should pay the same price that everyone else does and if they don't like it they can drink the free stuff at the station. We do sometimes charge them for smaller sizes but the Chief was very clear that is a police officer asks for a discount never to give him/her one so we respect the Chief's wishes.

The firefighters next door are super friendly with us so we always give them discounts because never have any of them asked for one. It is one of those situations where we love the guys and they do something great for our neighborhood so we treat when we can but they never complain when they pay full price. Most of them are actually shocked when we say it is on the house and they fight to pay full price.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Most chiefs will not want area businesses to give discounts/free items to their officers/deputies. They are afraid that those that receive them will show favoritism towards those businesses, taking attention away from a police presence in other businesses that do not offer such discounts. In a weird round about way, they don't want it come off looking like a bribe for cops to hang around.

As a member of law enforcement, I have no problem with receiving a discount, as I know businesses do it as a "thank you" to those of us who serve our communities.

However, I also never expect a discount, and I would certainly never write a company demanding one. We chose our profession, and we know the risk. I witnessed a fellow officer's funeral this past summer after he was shot and killed after getting out of his squad car. It's something that crosses our minds every day, but it never stops us from doing our job.

Pioneer Hall

Most chiefs will not want area businesses to give discounts/free items to their officers/deputies. They are afraid that those that receive them will show favoritism towards those businesses, taking attention away from a police presence in other businesses that do not offer such discounts. In a weird round about way, they don't want it come off looking like a bribe for cops to hang around.

As a member of law enforcement, I have no problem with receiving a discount, as I know businesses do it as a "thank you" to those of us who serve our communities.

However, I also never expect a discount, and I would certainly never write a company demanding one. We chose our profession, and we know the risk. I witnessed a fellow officer's funeral this past summer after he was shot and killed after getting out of his squad car. It's something that crosses our minds every day, but it never stops us from doing our job.

This is the way our first aid squad handles discounts. Granted we are volunteer, so we don't get paid for our services, but we also know that we don't do it for any perks or discounts. When I was the President of the organization, I made it very clear that no one was to ever expect or ask for a discount. Some places are great with it, others don't bother. If you went somewhere one day and got a free cup of coffee, but you didn't the next time...then you paid with a smile like anyone else would. It's nice to show your support to law enforcement/fire/EMS etc, but it should never be thought of as a requirement.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
First of all, I can think of a few slightly more worthy causes for an online petition than a discount for police and fire employees at Disney World. Should they receive a discount? Maybe. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's "deserved."

Compare Jimmy Thick's post to Nate's humble explanation, free of entitlement and self-importance. I agree with Nate that a police/fire discount would be an appropriate sign of gratitude.
:lol:
Compare any of his posts to ANYbody else's posts...:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom