Who thinks the Magic Kingdom should have been named Disneyland

BrianV

I know many people use "Magic Kingdom" and "Disney World" interchangably. Someone might say "the kids enjoyed Disney World much more than Epcot!" Certainly not the insiders who would ever post here. While I don't use that terminology, it never bothered me as I know what they mean. When 99 % of the world thinks of Disney World, they are thinking if the Magic Kingdom.

Goofyernmost

I know many people use "Magic Kingdom" and "Disney World" interchangably. Someone might say "the kids enjoyed Disney World much more than Epcot!" Certainly not the insiders who would ever post here. While I don't use that terminology, it never bothered me as I know what they mean. When 99 % of the world thinks of Disney World, they are thinking if the Magic Kingdom.
I don't know about 99%, but, many do. A lot of those are the ones that went there when all that was there was Magic Kingdom. Many are unable to alter there vocabulary to reflect the fact that they really do know better. Case in point, how many people stubbornly insist on calling Disney's Hollywood Studios... MGM?

This overall can be a problem. I think that one of the reasons that the hand and wand that was put up next to Space Ship Earth managed to stay as long as it did. It suggested, very strongly, that Epcot was indeed a part of WDW. It also implied fun as opposed to the dowdy nature of edutainment that EPCOT was designed to be. Although I understand why people wanted it gone, I still think that it was a good idea, at the time.

RScottyL

I agree that it should stay Magic Kingdom!

There was already a Disneyland in California. The Florida one is so much bigger, so that is why they called it Disney World.

DisneyFreak23

When I was a kid, during the 1970s and growing up in Florida, we always called the Magic Kingdom "Disneyworld". No one ever said, "We're going to the Magic Kingdom," they always said, "We're going to Disneyworld!"

Further, an idiot kid rivalry was sort of present with: "Well, California got Disneyland..," without saying it implying it's about the size of a county, "We got DisneyWORLD!!," again implying that we had a freakin' planet-sized theme park. We were young and stupid.

What's next? Disney Universe at the International Space Station? Travel provided by Virgin Galactic shuttle services. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom