Who should be excluded to help with the overcrowding problem.

lazyboy97o

Nobody at all. In reality, more demand in this case is better for everyone. It allows more investment by the park, and longer operational hours. If people don't come, the park will reduce hours and cut staffing. That will cram the remaining people in the park for the fewer hours, and the lighter staff will have a hard time handling them. And you be riding anything new or exciting.
Then why does Disney cut hours and staffing when busy?

tractor tipper

Let's see eliminate the crowds. Raise prices, doesn't work. More attractions, brings more people doesn't work. Eliminate, lower service doesn't work. The only thing I have seen to lower attendance is a bad economy. (not to get political this is sarcasm) It's Trumps fault.

Goofyernmost

The pricing for a plaid VIP tour is per every 10 guests so it would be 14,000 dollars less than your estimate.
OK, that makes more sense, but still to much money. Sorry about the incorrect information, but I did say that I might be misunderstanding the situation. It's still almost 5 grand and that is up to 10 people. It wouldn't be any less per hour with fewer then 10 if I am understanding you correctly. If you have four in your group it is still $4900.00 @ $700. during prime time for 7 hours, correct?

WDWVolFan

It seems like 2 of the top issues discussed on these forums is cost and overcrowding. I am legitimately interested in how WDW would combat the latter. If capacity is not improved (which it seems like it won't to the point where it would be beneficial) then the only other option to the overcrowding issue is having less people in the parks.
So my question is, who has to stay away or go to another park so that people who do not like the crowds can have a better time?

-Is it the loud tour groups who have been accused of unruly behavior?
-Is it passholders and other "vacation warriors" who try to ride as many attractions as possible without spending much on food or souvenirs (hey I used to be one) ?
-Is it families (like mine now) that enjoy fastpass+ that wander around the parks enjoying the atmosphere and riding what they can and not sweating what they can't.
-Is it time to limit locals (that spend $$$ on food and alcohol) like Disneyland does?

I myself enjoyed the late 90's and early 00's where EPCOT and MGM would be so empty at near closing/magic hours that you could walk around like you own the place.
But I also now don't despise the crowds- I believe everyone else has as much a right to enjoy the parks as me so it is difficult to imagine trying to price out or limit certain people because I have some right to enjoy the parks more than others (again assuming I'm not in one of the excluded groups).
*steps off soapbox now*
Ban all the Karens

danyoung56

My point is that “crowds” lead people to pay $130 for 3 hours in the Magic kingdom and thank Disney because there’s only a 15 minute wait on space mountain.

I bet I can find a post here right now talking about how great it is to use the rides in an amusement park at upcharge...because you can’t during the day when everyone has also paid for the rides 😳

So what's the solution? Artificially capping attendance allowances at each park? You think people are cheesed off at current crowd levels? Imagine the ire of the thousands of people who couldn't even get in with a system like that!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So what's the solution? Artificially capping attendance allowances at each park? You think people are cheesed off at current crowd levels? Imagine the ire of the thousands of people who couldn't even get in with a system like that!
Disney wants maximum attendance at maximum price at minimal investment...

They have no desire nor impetus to worry about this at all.

The “control” is systemic. As in a recession to reset the dials and control prices and attendance for an extended period. People forget that the economic cycle has repeated itself for decades and that Disney has to adjust to that.

The current board and management will not control crowds or prices with an eye on the longterm. That ended long ago

Last edited:

JustAFan

It would be interesting to see stats on this. I'm sure Disney has a good idea. I wonder if the additions of new resorts has outpaced the additions of attractions in the parks. That's certainly not the only problem. But does that help contribute a little to it?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Price (cost) and Demand (crowds) are forever linked. It is a basic foundation of economics, as is Supply (park capacity).

You can only adjust one, by adjusting another.

There are little economic exceptions of course, like "induced demand". I argue, based on this, that even if WDW added 4 gates, you are not going to see lower crowd levels. Demand is heavily affected by supply, and if you increase supply, you are just going to increase demand. To put it another way, the reason a lot of people don't go, is because of crowd levels. You add more parks, you will bring these people back, which unfortunately just creates the same crowd level again and we start all over again.
What if they just built out the parks? Added capacity? Maybe scatter 8-10 c/d attractions around the 4 parks. Added more dining options. Staffed the parks at 100% 365 days a year? Increase the hours and decrease the after hours upcharges. That wouldn't materially increase attendance, but it would make it a better experience for the guest. Why not do that?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It would be interesting to see stats on this. I'm sure Disney has a good idea. I wonder if the additions of new resorts has outpaced the additions of attractions in the parks. That's certainly not the only problem. But does that help contribute a little to it?
Oh 100%. This is a huge problem for the guest, and not a problem at all for TWDC. I wonder which side will win out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nobody is better at collecting and mining data than Disney.

Things rarely go less than 100% the way they want them and can predict them to go.

So if it feels “overcrowded”...rest easy in that it’s by design.

And it’s easy to figure out why.
What if they just built out the parks? Added capacity? Maybe scatter 8-10 c/d attractions around the 4 parks. Added more dining options. Staffed the parks at 100% 365 days a year? Increase the hours and decrease the after hours upcharges. That wouldn't materially increase attendance, but it would make it a better experience for the guest. Why not do that?
You know the answer to that most of rhetorical questions you just posed

Trackmaster

I mean I don't think that having maximum capacities is a bad thing. All of the parks do technically have a capacity, but its rare that they get that high. I think that they should make the max capacity lower, and that they shouldn't expand it for special events like NYE. Maybe they should make a new system for reserving admission if you're an AP holder, and not selling tickets when capacity has been reached. On days that you know its going to be busy mandate that all sales must be online so the parking lots don't get jammed just for people to get turned around.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If you watch and believe the posts in these forums, natural selection will over time reduce the crowds as guest succumb to the heat/cold in un-airconditioned or heated Gondolas on the Skyway, never coming back because they modified or eliminated something, don't offer a particular food item or dietary option, dont recognize the significance of it being someone's vacation desires that supplant everyone else's', or raised a price on something/everything.

amw358658

It seems like 2 of the top issues discussed on these forums is cost and overcrowding. I am legitimately interested in how WDW would combat the latter. If capacity is not improved (which it seems like it won't to the point where it would be beneficial) then the only other option to the overcrowding issue is having less people in the parks.
So my question is, who has to stay away or go to another park so that people who do not like the crowds can have a better time?

-Is it the loud tour groups who have been accused of unruly behavior?
-Is it passholders and other "vacation warriors" who try to ride as many attractions as possible without spending much on food or souvenirs (hey I used to be one) ?
-Is it families (like mine now) that enjoy fastpass+ that wander around the parks enjoying the atmosphere and riding what they can and not sweating what they can't.
-Is it time to limit locals (that spend $$$ on food and alcohol) like Disneyland does?

I myself enjoyed the late 90's and early 00's where EPCOT and MGM would be so empty at near closing/magic hours that you could walk around like you own the place.
But I also now don't despise the crowds- I believe everyone else has as much a right to enjoy the parks as me so it is difficult to imagine trying to price out or limit certain people because I have some right to enjoy the parks more than others (again assuming I'm not in one of the excluded groups).
*steps off soapbox now*
In my opinion I think Disney should work on projects to increase the volume of guests in the parks. Disney seems to always change and add things but it doesn’t ever really at least from what I see, to be an actual expansion of the parks, more of just closing older rides and attractions and building new ones in its place. I also think they shouldn’t always do this and since they have a lot of vacant land just literally expand the size of the park keeping the attractions that exist already to include them along with there new themed areas and attractions. I do however understand there is only so much they can expand upon, and that not every park has tons of vacant land or land that can be built upon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom