Who is a "Pixie Duster"?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
I guess I have been called a "Pixie Duster" several times on this web site, so I am asking the questions who really is the Pixie Dusters.

First let me tell you that I love the Disney Parks. I have been to all of them worldwide except for Disney's California Adventure and plan on going there in May. I think that Disney Seas at Tokyo Disney Resort is the greatest of all the parks and should be the standard worldwide. Because I live now live on the East Coast, I most of the time visit I visit Walt Disney World. I have also been to many other theme parks such as Universal Studios (both in Florida and California), several Six Flags, Kings Dominion, Hersey Park, etc. I love theme parks, but I feel Disney Parks are the best.

How do I feel about Walt Disney World...I feel that the Disney Company has not taken care of Walt Disney World as they should have. They have not put as much money into the Florida parks in the last ten years as they need to just maintenance what they have got there now. There has been a lack of maintenance and building of new rides and attractions. That said it looks like it is turning around and maintenance is starting to happen, new attractions are being starting.

Here is what bothers me lately when visiting this site. They are a lot of people that go on and on about the Disney of yesterday being so great and that everything Disney does (or does not do) today at Walt Disney World is wrong. Do I think the expansion of the Magic Kingdom was the greatest thing that every happened, no but it start things in the right direction. Do I visit all the meet and greets that Disney has build, no but there is a large demand for them.

Still I do not think I am a Pixie Duster because I can do not see everything as negative. I see the good and the bad. I think the Pixie Dusters are those that see an unreal picture of Disney parks of yesterday and cannot today see anything that will meet this unrealistic standard.

Uncle Remus

I don't really think it matters to be honest. Random strangers on the internet can't really define your fandom in anyway that is actually important to your everyday life.

If you are someone who puts stock into such things my only advice for you would be to use the ignore feature. Life is to short and all Disney related things should be stress free my friend. Don't let others take that from you

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
I don't really think it matters to be honest. Random strangers on the internet can't really define your fandom in anyway that is actually important to your everyday life.

If you are someone who puts stock into such things my only advice for you would be to use the ignore feature. Life is to short and all Disney related things should be stress free my friend. Don't let others take that from you

Thanks for the comments. It does not really bother me, but I just find it interesting how much negativity has come to this web site in the last year or so. I still enjoy planning my trips to Disney parks and love getting away from it all when I get there.

kap91

It seems most fan forums for all companies end up devolving into "everything is terrible" echoing chambers. I'm not sure why this is but it'd definitely happened here as well as every other fan site I'm on (non-Disney). All I can think of is either the demographics of who's on shift, or people become disillusioned because it's impossible for any company to continuing blowing minds every year.

I know for me, I've had to drastically reduce my viewing of certain types of threads here, and I'm much more stress free for it. I've basically realized that 1. It doesn't really matter what a handful of strangers on the internet think and 2. You'll never change their minds anyway and yours won't either. No need to get caught up in endless debates you can't win.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
One of the most memorable times at Walt Disney World was about a month before Mission: Space open in Epcot. I think it was late May 2003. I had came to Walt Disney World with a large group of family and friends. Many of us where very said that Mission: Space would not be opened. I voiced that on this web site and someone replied that if I was going to be at Epcot on Wednesday at 1:30 pm and would stand at given location, that soon after that time a Cast Member would be there looking for volunteers to test Mission: Space. I told this to my family and about 10 of us went over there. At about 1:45 pm most where about to give up when a Cast Member showed up and took our group and several others standing around to Mission: Space and we got to be one of the first to ride.

Everyone in my party was so exited and it made the trip so Magical. I guess that is why I keep coming back here and reading about what is new and upcoming for Walt Disney World.

Last edited:

jensenrick

It seems most fan forums for all companies end up devolving into "everything is terrible" echoing chambers. I'm not sure why this is but it'd definitely happened here as well as every other fan site I'm on (non-Disney). All I can think of is either the demographics of who's on shift, or people become disillusioned because it's impossible for any company to continuing blowing minds every year.

I know for me, I've had to drastically reduce my viewing of certain types of threads here, and I'm much more stress free for it. I've basically realized that 1. It doesn't really matter what a handful of strangers on the internet think and 2. You'll never change their minds anyway and yours won't either. No need to get caught up in endless debates you can't win.
So true and well put.
I have to remember this because I've allowed passive aggressive snark and misery of so many on this site to negatively affect how I feel about WDW. Best to avoid certain threads and add more people to my ignore list.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I'm a Pixie Gloomer or maybe it's a Doom & Duster....eh...

The reason I love this site is that there are all types here. Other sites (that shan't be named) tend to be way too happy about anything that Disney throws their way.

You definitely have some folks around here that want to put a match to the place and others that think that no one associated with Disney can do any wrong..and a few in between, but the fact that they all exist on the same site is what's cool. The arguing about inconsequential things can get tiring sometimes, but it sure makes for some good reading..especially when some sarcastic jerk like @sshindel starts chiming in, but it's really nothing to sweat.

Anyone that sticks around here and puts up with the back and forth is alright in my book.

Willmark

(casts Threadomancy)

After reading the main forums for a bit and reading through the economic subjects in the General Forum as well as the WDW Hotels sub forum this got me thinking: what if you are neither?

I'm not a Pixie Duster by any stretch of the imagination, nor and I a Doom and Gloomer. My wife and the kids like Disney (especially the wife). I'd rather go elsewhere on vacation , but at least I'm not at work. Also, I never went there as a kid nor did I grow up on Disney movies so WDW or DL doesn't hold a special memory for me.

To me? I see an amusement park that has notable IP that has a done a very good job at extending copyright... So if you're not a fan ("Pixie Duster") but you're also not anti ("Doom and Gloomer"), where does that leave you? Suddenly when typing this I thought of the Haunted Mansion.

Note: Not intended to start a fight on either "side" but curious if there is anyone else like me here in that regard?

The natural question also becomes why am I here? I glean lots of good info from the site leading up to a trip as I get the planning aspects, how does that work?

eliza61nyc

So I'm a weird pixie duster. First, like previous posters I don't have the background so I really don't have this love affair with how it use to be. I am also a consumer, I understand that if I don't like Disney or if I ever feel that it's no longer a good value, I'm simply not going.
Right now I'm a happy camper, we love the parks, we love the new additions.

Last edited:

MAGICFLOP

I am no pixie duster, I see it for what it is or as I call it, a "Notice-er"... I see Disney as an updated corporate entity with interests not similar to the Disney that was. Most notably I began to see the changes shortly after Esiner left. Since Disney owns ABC and ESPN, I also look at them as a moral guidance to what the host is doing. ABC and ESPN were basically destroyed under Disney. Disney began to take a huge bite of the 'Politically correct apple'. they updated stuff in this light.
If what I said makes sense then you are a notice-er, if it doesn't, that's OK, not everyone notices the same things and you probably look at things that I pay no attention to.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
So if you're not a fan ("Pixie Duster") but you're also not anti ("Doom and Gloomer"), where does that leave you? Suddenly when typing this I thought of the Haunted Mansion.

I immediately thought of Swolphin when I read that. - It kind of is Disney, but it really kind of is not.

"Pixie Duster" - "Doom and Gloomer" - or "Swolphin" - It might be time for a new poll

I don't share your exact mindset. But I think I'm in an obscure group myself. I really don't care much about the parks per se. Sure I enjoy some rides (mainly because my kids do) - I'm content wandering the grounds at Boardwalk, World Showcase, Springs, Moderate and Deluxe resorts, etc... and just soaking up the immersion.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I consider myself a pixie duster and am not ashamed to say so. I’m not a complete apologist for everything Disney does, but I’m far more forgiving than many here, and the things I love about the parks far outweigh the things I dislike. For context, I’m a Disney fan first and foremost, having grown up with the films, music, and characters. Other theme parks just don’t interest me.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm not a pixie duster nor an apologist but rather I think I'm more of a realist. I'm quite satisfied with the product that's currently being offered for the price they charge. Its not what was since you'll never be able to do that again, its about what you can do now. IMHO its not productive to continuously lambast the Disney Company on a third party fan-driven website. I don't quite understand the mentality that drives people to continue to hang around a forum that they profess that they'll never go back to because of X, Y or Z.

eliza61nyc

I'm not a pixie duster nor an apologist but rather I think I'm more of a realist. I'm quite satisfied with the product that's currently being offered for the price they charge. Its not what was since you'll never be able to do that again, its about what you can do now. IMHO its not productive to continuously lambast the Disney Company on a third party fan-driven website. I don't quite understand the mentality that drives people to continue to hang around a forum that they profess that they'll never go back to because of X, Y or Z.

lol but then they do go back. that's what's baffling??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom