Who agrees?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I agree with you somewhat. I don't like it when Disney does too much with one particular topic, or movie. Especially Finding Nemo.
Like what they did with Stitch a couple of years ago.

One attraction is enough. Disney should have left The Living Seas alone in my opinion. I like the idea, but it takes away from what The Living Seas really is, where we're not focused on the live animals too much, but on projections of cartoons. .
I actually think this is really the only place it could have logically been placed. There was no Pixar tie in in Epcot, and since Nemo is a fish, he would logically be in the sea.

I do like Finding Nemo the Musical, because it's different and unique. I just hope that this is it for Finding Nemo. Not so much Pixar. Pixar is owned by Disney anyway.
I actually thought the musical was average. It really does not fit into the DAK theme in my opinion.

Champion

Well I agree... sorta... :lookaroun..
I have always been against this whole development... nobody notices... but it's ver dangerous this whole thing... not for the guests.... Fot the company it is... I know, I know... noone agrees...

A lot of people agree. Anything that gives Jobs more control is a bad idea. However ... TWDC has to capitalize on popular properties.

Kristi Kay

Where at the studios? And how does it fit the theme of the studios better?

It's the ONLY place (unless I have completely missed something) that your can meet and greet w/ the monsters inc. characters.....

and it's "the studios" it's supose to be, although it really no longer is, a working studio. The Laughing Floor is like, the characters are at work. I just think it would be better there than in tomorrowland.

Thats just my train of thought....

wbt06

the whole point of monsters inc show is to get people thinking of new cleaner fules. so yes it fits in tomarrow land. if they can make a monsters inc show and a toy story ride after they have been out for years then the incredables has a chance i just dont think they know what to do yet. im sure they dont want it to just be an average dark ride like the monsters inc ride in cal.

AEfx

I never understand all the hate towards Pixar. Disney has had very few animated movies with memorable plots or characters in the last decade or so ("Home on the Range" and "Emporor's New Groove" anyone?) so of course they will continue to exploit the billions-grossing critically-acclaimed films they do have access to.

Sure, I'd be happy as all get out if they'd make rides based on Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, or other classic Disney films; unfortunately, that's just not how the Disney company works these days. And until they come out with something that is better than what Pixar has come up with, then maybe we'll see more native-Disney stuff. We'd be complaining a lot more if they were putting up "Mulan:The Ride", I have a feeling...

Then again, isn't this all moot since they are the same company now?

AEfx

tirian

Who cares whether or not the tie-ins are Pixar related?

My concern is that attractions are being randomly thrown into Tomorrowland with very little regard for theme. Stitch had potential, but it was wasted. MILF could have worked from a parallel universe standpoint, but it also failed to live up to its promise. Buzz Lightyear is an enjoyable D-Ticket. We definitely don't need any more cartoon characters in Tomorrowland, whether they're Pixar or not.

tirian

We'd be complaining a lot more if they were putting up "Mulan:The Ride", I have a feeling...AEfx

"Welcome to Mulan:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

"Welcome to Hercules:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

"Welcome to The Emperor's New Groove:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

"Welcome to Brother Bear:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

"Welcome to The Lion King:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

"Welcome to Aladdin:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

:snore:

CaptainMichael

"Welcome to Mulan:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

"Welcome to Hercules:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

"Welcome to The Emperor's New Groove:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

"Welcome to Brother Bear:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

"Welcome to The Lion King:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

"Welcome to Aladdin:the Ride, where you are encouraged to find who you are."

:snore:

Hmmm...I see a pattern:dazzle:

wbt06

yea and one they are curently stuck on even meet the robinsons had the same theme but to tell the truth what disney movie doesnt. even the pixar movies have that same theme. cars toystory bugslife ect. o and just one thing i love Emporors new groove but come on home on the range that has to be the worst disney wovie in history. o and mulan was a great movie

MJMcBride

they have been out for years then the incredables has a chance i just dont think they know what to do yet. im sure they dont want it to just be an average dark ride like the monsters inc ride in cal.

there was apparently an Incredibles ride in the works when they the lost rights a new robotic arm

tirian

yea and one they are curently stuck on even meet the robinsons had the same theme but to tell the truth what disney movie doesnt.

None of the "Classics"--I'd say up to "The Little Mermaid"--used that theme. Aladdin was the first to use it.

even the pixar movies have that same theme. cars toystory bugslife ect.

No, they don't have the same theme. They just look exactly the same. :animwink: At least Walt pushed for different visual styles for his fairy tales.

home on the range that has to be the worst disney wovie in history.

Yes, it definitely is. Disney has tried to hide other films, such as the Black Cauldron, because they didn't perform well in the box office; but at least Cauldron is a very good movie. Home on the Range is terrible.

o and mulan was a great movie

It was all right...

SilentWindODoom

The problem is not the influx of Pixar and other properties (I'm talking to you, Stitch). The problem is how they're implemented. Tomorrowland isn't in trouble because they're adding movie characters? The problem is that they don't fit. Tomorrowland is supposed to be about the future.

Space Mountain: You take a ride through space in a rocket.
Astro Orbitor: More tame version of Space Mountain idea.
Alien Encounter: Technological convention taking place in the future.
Timekeeper: Technological beings in the future take you through time.
Carousel of Progress: Progress through the years, ending in the future.
TTA: Takes you on a trip through the futuristic Tomorrowland.

Walt's reasoning of the Speedway was that driving was the future for children. I think that new futuristic bodies should be put on the cars to make it fit better. And no, I'm not commenting on how mankind hasn't progressed beyond diesel fuels in the future.

Now, lets look at the new rides...

Buzz Lightyear: The whole Star Command storyline takes place in mankind's future. This is fine.

Here's where the wrench gets thrown in.
Stitch's Great Escape: Everything with Stitch takes place with advanced aliens. However, it all takes place present day. While the aliens may be futuristic, it's still present, unless there were giant robots hiding behind those palm trees in Lilo's hometown. It's not tomorrow. It's not the future. It's aliens in present day. There's a big difference.

Monster's Inc.: Okay, there is absolutely nothing futuristic about this. It's all present day. The only thing remotely futuristic is the technology of the Monsters. That aside, it has no place in Tomorrowland at all.

Now, you cannot tell me that Disney can not come up with one Tomorrowland ride that takes place in the future. I'm sure WDI could come up with a million futuristic rides to put in there that would actually fit. They need to stop putting in cartoons that have a relatively mechanical or scientific feel, thinking that it's close enough. Close enough isn't supposed to be in Disney's vocabulary.

As for outside the Magic Kingdom, it seems that the Nemo ride is merely a retelling of the original story. I'd thought that it would in some way teach about ocean life. I though Mr. Ray would be taking the kids on a field trip, and telling them about all different ocean life. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen, it seems like all it is is a dark ride version of the movie. This is horrible for EPCOT. We're supposed to be using the characters to teach the kids, not just entertaining them. Yes, I know there's the exhibits, but the dark ride was a wonderful opportunity, and it looks like they missed the mark here.

Nemo's fine in Animal Kingdom, although I wish they'd mark the theatre as a part of Discovery Island instead of Dinoland, since it's never had anything to do with Dinosaurs. Bug's Life fits well.

speck76

The problem is not the influx of Pixar and other properties (I'm talking to you, Stitch). The problem is how they're implemented. Tomorrowland isn't in trouble because they're adding movie characters? The problem is that they don't fit. Tomorrowland is supposed to be about the future.

But let's not pretend this is anything new. The Lion King was more than likely one of the most over-exploited films....and it really had no business in Fantasyland.....

gettingsmaller

Personally, I think it's a big problem when you start incorporating the characters/movies too much into the rides. There has to be some 'perfect mix'.
On the one hand, you want to be able to experience these characters in person that you've only seen on your screen. On the other hand, rides based on transient characters are also rides which have (at least partially) transient appeal.
Take, for example, Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Many kids who are the ages of mine (8,6,4) don't have a clue about the 'back-story'. It may still be a decent show, but some of the punch is gone AND it shows its age just by its theming/content.
Now, take something like Space Mountain, Astro Orbiter, Big Thunder, Timekeeper, etc.. These can be the oldest attractions, but their theming doesn't give them away as such (maybe RETRO, but not 'outdated').
Of course, there are some characters who transcend transience into ... well... uh... 'classicity'... Peter Pan, Dumbo, Mickey, Donald, Pooh--and I'd add Buzz and Woody. Rides based on these characters are not going to seem like they are 'stale' the same way that a ride based on less popular, less enduring characters might. This is where I think I have a problem with bringing in so many Pixar characters (and I was a Pixar shareholder very much against the buyout): most of Pixar's characters have not even existed long enough to KNOW if they can break through the transcience to become true classics. It seems like they are still young enough to pass into obscurity in a year or two, leaving the rides that much less relevant.
In contrast, you've got EE, which--because it's NOT tied to any character-of-the-day--can stand for a decade and not lose its sense of timelessness...
oh, well, that's my 2 cents (I have about a dime, but I think I'd be rambling...)

Pooh88

i miss it when rides werent always based on a movie such as like big thunder mountain. everest is a great example we need more rides like that were its new "magic" and has no movie tie ins. so overall i have to in a way agree with u on that

What about Everest? This took a long time to build and is not based on a movie...

lilclerk

I just saw Meet the Robinsons last night, and I HAVE to wonder why they didn't put (or haven't yet announced?) something from that movie in Tomorrowland :shrug:

DVC Dave

my 2 cents - I know we all love Disney World the way we love it. However my daughter who is 7 really doesn't care if the ride is a classic or if its brand new. All she knows is her favorite Disney (and Pixar) characters are going to be there for her to see

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom