Which moderate would you choose?

I am in the very, very early stages of planning my next trip to WDW with my roommates. They don't want to spend the money to stay at a deluxe which is fine with me. Right now I am tentatively thinking of CBR just because I've stayed there before. However, I would be willing to try PO or POR if I heard enough good things about it. Which would you choose, CBR, PO or POR and why?

LivefortheMouse

Port Orleans resort (which ever side u chose) is my favorite moderate resort . Is cheap and luxurious. Its very close to a being as great as a deluxe resort. Theres little animals running around(ducks rabbits etc.). Another great part is being able to take the boat ride to downtown disney. You will really enjoy this resort which is closer to magic kingdom than u think.

Upvote 0

bhg469

i would go french quarter it riverside was a little filthy last time i was there. the air conditioners had some sort of forign mucky stuff arount the vents. just a warning but i hear they did a rehab at one of them i would go whicever one that was. i think it was riverside actually

Upvote 0

tommy@SWA

I was wondering too....

About POR.....I have booked it for May1st-May8th (7nights). I have stayed at CBR and was wondering if I should have booked CSR. CBR is awful nice and love the layout, but I was needing a change in scenery. I got an awesome deal being an employee of a major airline (50% to be exact).

Can someone tell me what the food is based on and the overall feel of the resort itself...I sure would appreciate it.....

Another thing, for all those who love to fly, I am willing to help out with airfare if your interested in flying....so if you need airfare let me know and I will book the lowest fare availble with the best airline in the country....SOUTHWEST AIRLINES!!!

Upvote 0

SpectroMan

Wow, this thread is helping many people. I am just beginning to schedule me and my friends' senoir trip to Disney World. We still haven't decided whether we are staying at a deluxe or a moderate resort, but this information will help. Thanks.

Upvote 0

jordanyosh

Original Poster
Originally posted by Mr.MissionSpace
Wilderness Lodge:drevil:

Actually, WL and AKL priced somewhere in between a moderate and a deluxe like YC or BWI. So, it is not out of the question. But it's really not up to me. My roommates are the ones who will make that decision. I would be willing to shell out for the Yacht Club...but they aren't...at least right now.:D

Upvote 0

kennyj29

Caribbean Beach

It has the biggest rooms of all the moderate resorts and if your going with more than two roommates I would take that route. Also, I love the caribbean theming there. We've been there twice and PO once and we would go back to CBR the next time!

Upvote 0
Re: Caribbean Beach

Originally posted by kennyj29
It has the biggest rooms of all the moderate resorts and if your going with more than two roommates I would take that route. Also, I love the caribbean theming there. We've been there twice and PO once and we would go back to CBR the next time!

Caribbean beach is nice

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

I've stayed at both Caribbean Beach and PO Riverside ala Dixie- era. But CB about a dozen times more.

Caribbean does have larger rooms.

Caribbean also has the better theming. Florida to me is tropical with palm trees and the smells and looks of the tropics. Riverside has none of that. We were dissappointed at their lack of palm trees, but the riverside theme is carried out wonderfully.

Id go to CB, but Riverside is great nonetheless.

NEVER EVER will we do French Quarter. They look like row houses!

I wish I was going to WDW with my roommates!!:wave:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey all I have come to the right thread!! Moderates seem to be where I always end up!!!! I like all of the Moderates for the quiet and lovely atmosphere at all of them. As far as the individual resorts, here are some thoughts:
Port Orleans Riverside: I think that this is the most peaceful and laid back of the Moderates. The landscaping has won design awards and it is well deserved. The sit down restaurant there, named Boatwright's, serves breakfast & dinner (Not sure about lunch) The short version of that is this is the BEST breakfast on property!! I love the restaurant and will go to some rather extreme transfers to go here for breakfast and have done so!!! There is also a lounge here that seems to be pretty rocking every night with a live piano player who is quite good and literally rocks the piano. The quiet pools are lovely and overall it is a peaceful resort. Probably the nicest combination for me.
Coronado: More of an adult type of resort as it is a convention center. The atmosphere at this resort is Southwestern heat. The Main pool area is absolutely astounding. There are no words to explain the feeling I get sitting in the 22 person hot tub or just at the pool steps and watch the sun set behind a gorgeous 5 story Mayan pyramid which is the Pool's centerpiece. The lounge at this resort is a touch more social than the one at the Riverside but no entertainment. The Food court is adequate however they have a gratuity (I think it is 10%) that is automatically added to your bill for limited table service. The servers there get your drinks, provide you with silverware and not much else. The Maya Grill does serve breakfast ( Mostly American with a mexican twist) and dinner there. I do recommend the bufett in the Maya Grill as we spent almost the same amount in the food court and didnt find it to be outstanding. Plus my friend, Rich, doesnt do well at food courts! This resort is also a popular choice for me.
Port Orleans French Quarter: I believe this is closed for Rehab.
Carribean Beach: This resort was nice with a cute tropical Isle flavor. The Food court was certainly better than the Coronado, but I still prefer a sit down breakfast!! If there is a lounge I didnt see it in my 3 trips there, and they have only recently installed a sit down restaurant called Shutters. I have heard good things about this restaurant, however I havent eaten there myself. My understanding is that they only serve dinner though. I am usually too busy running in the parks to come back to the hotel for dinner!! I think the layout of this large resort is done very well to accomodate the bus transportation system. Although if you get a room in one of the far villages you may have quite a walk or bus trip to the main building which is where all the food courts & restaurants are located.
For all four resorts, I would encourage you to check out Deb Wills webiste WWW.WDWIG.COM as she has a great many pictures and the map for the layout of allof the moderates. I have some pictures also, should anyone wish to see them, just E Mail me and Ill send them back!
In short, I dont think you can really go wrong at this level, it is more of a question of what theming you like and what amenities are more important to you. If I can be of any further help, please dont hesitate to ask!!! Belle

Upvote 0

AriBelle23

Whoa!!! Belle you are super informative!! i think if anyone needs to anything about a moderate resort, PM her!! lol ...Anyway, My fav is Port Orleans (French Quarter) This is the one that has been closed for refurbishment FOREVER!! But will be open soon. This has been our fav because we always get the building (Building 4) closest to the food, gift shop, and pool. The longest walk is probably to the bus stop which takes like 5 minutes tops from anywhere around the resort. It is def smaller, but seeing how much time we spend at the resort, it was always so perfect for us.

Never stayed at Riverside but heard soo many good things about it.

Caribbean Beach is where we stayed 2 times ago because of the French Quarter rehab...It was nice...pretty, it seemed like a deluxe resort to me. The rooms were cool and tropical. Little pineapples on the bed posts. :) The pool was beautiful!! And the little beaches were nice at night just to chill out. Def a big fan of this resort.

Coronado Springs was our resort last time because we wanted to try something new. I was not impressed at all by this resort. It does not even compare. The only good thing was the beautiful pool and huge hot tub. lol ...Other than that, it was one of the dirtiest places I've seen onstage at Disney.

Hope this helps too!! :)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Well thanks so much AriBelle!!! I like to think so considering how often I stay at these resorts. If I didnt know something by now, there would seriously be something REALLY wrong with me.
And the resort visit count stands at:
All Star Music 2 times
All Star Movies 1 time
Carribean Beach 2 times
Coronado 4 times
Riverside 3 times
Carribean 2 times
and two more planned
Coronado in 2 more days!! WOO HOO!!!!
and Riverside for Christmas stuff on the Meet & Greet week of Dec 3rd-10th!!!
And all of these trips have been since 1997!!! I had gone twice prior to that but stayed offsite both times. Believe me though, nothing compares to the magic you find in the Disney Resorts!!! Belle

Upvote 0

AriBelle23

wow- looks like you really liked Coronado...I just wasn't all that impressed with it. It did have a beautiful pool and gorgeosu scenery. I just thought it was not as clean as CBR or POR/FQ ...anyway, have a great time!! What is this, trip number 50? lol :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom