which is the best monorail resort?

Mikieboy84

I've been to disney a million times and we usually end up at an offsite condo or if on property at the all star resorts, but never really close to the parks. We are really into staying somewhere on the monorail this trip, so my question to you all is which is the best one? Contemporary, Polynesian or Grand Floridian!

Thanks!

Mike

DVC Mike

We stayed at the GF for our last trip in May. We loved it! The Poly is also quite nice. The CR doesn't appeal to me since it is rather sterile in terms of the lack of theming.

Upvote 0

Mikieboy84

Original Poster
yeah we are thinking the contemporary is actually LESS than contemporary they should call it the 70's retro motel resort that would prob make it more popular lol

Upvote 0

ImaYoyo

yeah we are thinking the contemporary is actually LESS than contemporary they should call it the 70's retro motel resort that would prob make it more popular lol
I'm assuming you haven't seen the new rooms. I'm not sure it gets more modern or contemporary than those. GORGEOUS earth tones. the new rooms are beautiful

Upvote 0

LowesChevy

We love the Polynesian because of the theming and the quintness it offers. The Contemporary tends to be really loud in the tower and the wing rooms are often a hike from the main building. The Poly is laid out well and you don't seem to walk to far from the longhouses to the Great Ceremonial House, where the restaurants and monorail. The Grand Floridian has more restaurants and a lovely Victorian decor. The Contemporary is undergoing a lot of construction and is torn up right now, kinda takes away from the overall effect. The Poly's theming is really nice especially if you enjoy the Hawaiian or Tiki atmosphere. All 3 have two pools and more than two dining experiences to try. The Grand Floridian is the most expensive, Poly is next, then the Contemporary is the least pricy of the three depending on the rooms you choose. Erika

Upvote 0

happymom52003

They are all so different. I like visiting the Contemporay, but I dont think I would enjoy the theming (or lack of) or the busy atmosphere.....however I would LOVE to be able to walk to and from the MK if I wanted to. The GF is beautiful, but it is the most expensive. I think I would like to stay there at least once someday when it is just me and my husband. At this point in my life with small kids, I think I would choose the poly.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I've stayed at the Polynesian and Contemporary, the GF just doesn't appeal to us. We really love the atmosphere at the Poly, but not the set up. We want to try the Contemp again now that its been renovated.

Putting the WL on the monorail line would solve all my problems though. :lol:

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I'm such a big fan of contemporary architecture and style both retro and modern that it was a no-brainer for me. It was Contemporary all the way. I like Poly and hope to stay there someday. I think the atmosphere would be relaxing yet festive and fun. GF, I don't think I'd ever stay there. It's too froo-froo and gaudy for me. It'd be kinda like when you're in someone's house and you're afraid to touch anything. Too fancy-schmancy for me. I could be wrong. :)

Anywhoo, I think regardless of which you choose, you'll have a ton of fun. Enjoy! :wave:

Upvote 0

frankster

I haven't been to the Contemporary or GF in a while, but on my last trip 6 onths ago, we stayed at the Polynesian, which I really like. And they have a DOle Whip machine, so, best resort ever, lol.

Upvote 0

kennyj29

I've stayed at the Poly and the Contemporary. WE absolutely LOVE the Poly. It's our favorite resort there and we've stayed at quite a few different resorts. The Poly is just the nicest place to stay out. As soon as we can afford it again, we will be there. We've stayed four times already. This year it's the Caribbean Beach because we only have moderate money this time. That's our favorite moderate. It's that Caribbean, South Seas look that appeals to us! GF, my husband HATES it there!

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why people always seem to dis the contemporary. The last time we were there the rooms were as contemporary as any I've seen. And the noise issue that people seem to love to talk about wasn't an issue at all. Yes there was noise if you were outside your room when a monorail came through but inside your room with the door closed they could have gone by all night and you would never have known it. And yes we were in a tower room on the fifth floor so I can only assume someone that had a problem with noise must have been on a lower floor or has never actually stayed in a room and only assumed that the noise in the common areas carries over to the room as well.

Frankly there is no comparison to the contemporary for access to parks. In a hurry and you can walk to MK want to get to Epcot the Epcot monorail is the first stop for the Contemporary monorail, if your in the GF or Poly you'll be riding quite a while around the lagoon while folks from the contemporary are already half way to Epcot.

Now granted in its pre-refurbished glory the Contemporary was more like a retro hotel. Its much better now. If I had only one chance to splurge on a luxury Disney resort this would be the one I would pick.

Upvote 0

BeanSz

We absolutely love the CR. Had a great time there last year. Given we had a 3 year old, it was great to be able to walk to and from MK. The CR is no bigger than any of the other resorts, all depends where your room is. We were in a Garden Wing and did not mind the walk. They are doing a lot of work both with the adjacent rumored DVC construction and the lobby and concourse renovations. Generally these don't bother me, but may be for you to consider. We were hoping to stay at the Poly next trip, but I think it is just going to be too much right now especially given my son is no longer free. My wife would also like to stay at GF sometime, which is of no interest to me unless we can do Concierge or a suite. I think the fact that you are staying on the monorail is the most important part. Other than that, don't sweat it. Just pick one based on your gut feeling and enjoy. It will be awesome either way....

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

We've stayed at Poly and Contemporary several times. Contemporary is great because you can walk to and from the MK, but the Poly seems like a world away, especially in the evening when it is dark and quiet at the resort. Bang for the buck: Poly!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom