Which deluxe??

GoofyEsq

Hi all - first time, long time.....:lol:

My wife and I are planning another visit to the World next year, but can't decide what other resort to stay in. We loved the AKL and split a stay between there and the Polynesian this past year and loved it. We're wondering if we should try something else, or....

So...we're stuck between the GF, Yacht/Beach, WL and the Poly (but a lagoon view).

Any thoughts??? Any information is appreciated :wave:

Thanks!

madalex

Our personal favorite is the Yacht Club. Location (walking distance to Epcot, MGM and the Boardwalk; easy bus ride to other parks) and pool (Stormalong Bay) cannot be beat. We have also stayed at the AKL and loved the hotel itself, but haven't liked the location and other amenities quite as much as at the Yacht Club.

However, although Yacht Club is a convenient bus ride to the Magic Kingdom, if really easy access to MK is required (via monorail or a boat ride), then one of the MK resorts would probably be better.

In the end, though, you can't go wrong with any of these resorts!

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Welcome to the boards!! :sohappy:

Okay, now that's said... If you have the means to try others, go ahead and try others! As long as you know you plan to come back at least one more time and test out even more deluxe resorts, or just finally pick to stay at your favorite that's fine. I'd go with something you've never tried before. See how the magic fits you there.

Have a very Disney Day! :wave:

Upvote 0

GoofyEsq

Original Poster
(laughing) thanks!

Actually, I am really sorry for not being clear - I meant that we loved the AKL and we enjoyed splitting our stay, so we're planning to split our stay this next time as well....

we know that one of the resorts will be the AKL - we were wondering what the other should be....the Polynesian, or something different :D

Sometimes lawyers just like to hear themselves talk and forget about being clear :brick: ;)

ANYWAY....

Any guidance is appreciated :D

Upvote 0

vilegirl

I suggest either the Wilderness Lodge or the Beach Club.

I love the Beach Club for its easy access to Epcot (walking distance), the Boardwalk area right across the water and the boat to MGM. The buses to AK and MK were always really fast too when we were there in November.

I love WL for its great theming, relaxed atmosphere and close proximity to MK.

Both of these are absolutely great resorts in my opinion. And for me, trying out new resorts is always fun. You never know...you might find a new favorite!:)

Have fun!

-Linda

Upvote 0

tigsmom

If you love the AK then try the WL...it was designed by the same architect. We have been staying there for years now...we have tried the Contemporay...nice, the Poly...very nice, but didn't like having to walk between buildings to eat, shop, etc.

There are a few other threads going on right now & a simple search will bring them up...there is alot of info out there.
Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions. :wave:

Upvote 0

WDWHeadBanger

The beach club is super nice but so is the polynesian. I love the kona (sp?) cafe at the polynesian. They have awesome coffee and desserts! Bech club by far has the nicest pool. And Wildnerness Lodge has some pretty nice rooms.

Upvote 0

HumanOddity

Do Something New

Since you've already done AKL and the Polynesian, try a new one this time (unless you didn't do the concierge level at AKL... if you didn't, do AKL again with concierge.... you won't regret it). My goal is to stay at each Disney resort without repeating one (though, I might have to make an exception and stay at AKL again before long), and as long as there's discounts for passholders, that may happen. Try the Yacht Club, all other things being equal among Deluxe resorts, I've always thought that being a stone's throw from Epcot is a nice perk.

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Having stayed at all the deluxe resorts, I can honestly say one of the thrills of returning regularly is to stay a different place each time to try them all. Staying at a different place makes the trips seem new and exciting like (ok, sorta like) the first time.
I now stay off property regularly but truly enjoyed trying the different resorts. In your situation my opinion is to try the GF for it's victorian elegance and special feel, and the WL because it is an amazing place with wonderful themeing and contrasts nicely with the GF so it will seem like two vacations in one.

Whatever you choose, have a great trip.
Ricky

Upvote 0

GoofyEsq

Original Poster
So many questions.....:)

Thanks for the great information so far :D

Is the GF stuffy? Do you feel out of place, for lack of a better way of putting it??

Is the WL so close to the AKL in design that it's like staying in the same place with a different theme???

Ok...I'll shut up now :zipit:

Upvote 0

1stStarIC2nite

I would say to go with the Yacht and Beach Club out of those three choices. It's walking distance from the Boardwalk and Epcot, or you could also take a fun boat ride from the Resort to Epoct or MGM Studios. But, if you have kids who plan on going to MK alot, Poly or GF might be a better choice... but I'd also pick Yacht and Beach Club because their pool is ab fab!! IMO, it's the best on property! :D

Btw, my 200th post! Yay! :lol:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

The feeling between the WL & AKL is very different. In the WL you will feel like you are in the NorthWest territories. You will feel as if you are in the woods...complete with appropriate smells & sounds (smoky & crickets, frogs, turtles, etc) There is a geyser to enjoy down by the boat dock, the beach is great for a quiet evening stroll (don't forget to watch the Electrical Water Parade nightly)
The dress, food, "atmosphere" ( :lookaroun ) is very different. I really don't think you will be disappointed. :wave:

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Originally posted by Goofy,Esq
So many questions.....:)

Is the GF stuffy? Do you feel out of place, for lack of a better way of putting it??

Is the WL so close to the AKL in design that it's like staying in the same place with a different theme???

No to the first question, no to the second question.
First, the GF is extra nice, but only feels stuffy, snooty, snobbish, whatever if you try hard to feel that way. It's a beautiful place and seems quieter and more secluded than the other two resorts on the monorail line. It has great access to the MK and Epcot via the monorail, and the ride to Epcot is a lot of fun in itself. The pools are wonderful, as are the robes. V&A is too stuffy for me, but it is too pricey too. If you relax, enjoy, make the time to spend a part of your trip enjoying the resort, and take it all in, you will love it.

The WL is very different from the AKL. It is themed after old national park lodges of the rockies and does a good job of transporting you to another era. The hot springs bubbling up in the lobby flow s out to the wonderful pool, the geyser is fun to see and the woodsy setting makes it seem remote, yet it is just a short boat launch to the MK. They also have one of my favorite resturants, The Whispering Canyon Cafe. Great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Although you really can't go wrong with either of these, I also like the Beach Club for it's walking distance to Epcot and the Boardwalk, plus it and the Yatch Club share the best pool in WDW.

Ricky

Upvote 0

BeachClubVillas

Yacht and Beach are simply the best!!! You've gotta try it. IMO, the Grand Floridian isn't worth the money. If you really want the MK convenience, stay at the Polynesian. Y&B are just as nice as the Grand Floridian and I actually like the Epcot area better!

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

I would choose the Yacht Club then, b/c Epcot and MGM, BoardWalk and Stormalong Bay are more used than MK is in our family. If MK is your thing, def. stay at a monorail Resort then.

We feel the GF flaunts itself, while the Yacht Club has a much more understated elegance.

You cant go wrong tho. But I vote for YC.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I'd put my vote in for AKL & WF. Since you have already done Poly, WL would have been my second choice.

But I'd have to agree with HumanOddity, AKL on concierge is great. My wife now insists on it (and I secretly do too :lol: ). And with it you now get a chance to do two scecial tours only available to concierge guest (Sunrise Safari and Sunset Safari).

Have fun in whatever you do!

Upvote 0

madalex

Originally posted by AkiraRaptor

But I'd have to agree with HumanOddity, AKL on concierge is great. My wife now insists on it (and I secretly do too :lol: ).

[/B]

Here's another plug for concierge service, which we do whenever we visit WDW and have done at both AKL and YC. It is great at AKL (and I really like the lounge they have there, both for its location overlooking the lobby and the food they put out), but is almost equally as good at YC. It can be expensive, but is worth it.

Example of a concierge benefit: we are going to the YC on Feb 11th. Back in November, I made a room location request to the concierge. They told me they put a note in my file, but to remind them a week before our visit. Thus, this morning, I sent a reminder e-mail. Within 90 minutes, I had a response confirming that my room location request would be honored. Thus, here I sit a week before the trip knowing that an important part of our trip (room location) is all set. It takes a load off my mind and is a nice perk of the concierge service.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by madalex
Example of a concierge benefit: we are going to the YC on Feb 11th. Back in November, I made a room location request to the concierge. They told me they put a note in my file, but to remind them a week before our visit. Thus, this morning, I sent a reminder e-mail. Within 90 minutes, I had a response confirming that my room location request would be honored. Thus, here I sit a week before the trip knowing that an important part of our trip (room location) is all set. It takes a load off my mind and is a nice perk of the concierge service.

Unfourtunatly, you can only request that at AKL concierge, but they will refuse to gaurenete the location. They have 6 pool views and the other 52(?) are savanna views (plus the suites).

You can request which savanna, and they will try to accomidate you, but you still may bot get the one you want. The main savanna has the most rooms, so you usally get that one.

The trick in not getting the pool room is to tell them specifically a non-smoking room. That way you'll get a savanna at least. All the pool rooms are smoking.

It's the only thing about concierge at AKL that I have any issues with. The not knowing if I'm getting the exact place I want (for the extra cost I'm paying) can be a bit un-nerving at times. They should seperate the booking of pool versus savanna for concierge.

Oh well, the place is still my favorite, and were hopefulling going back April AND Dec this year.

Upvote 0

johnvree97

Originally posted by AkiraRaptor
I'd put my vote in for AKL & WF. Since you have already done Poly, WL would have been my second choice.

But I'd have to agree with HumanOddity, AKL on concierge is great. My wife now insists on it (and I secretly do too :lol: ). And with it you now get a chance to do two scecial tours only available to concierge guest (Sunrise Safari and Sunset Safari).

Have fun in whatever you do!
Can you tell me a little more about the Sunrise/Sunset Safari. Is there a cost? Is theme park admission required? How long are they? Which is better?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom