Which deluxe resort?

captainkidd

We have it narrowed down to the following 5 resorts for next summer. I booked Grand Floridian, but I'm not 100% sure about it. Never stayed at any of the following. We just stayed at the Polynesian. We loved being on the monorail having 2 toddlers. We want to stay someplace different. I'm really torn. I like the look of the rooms at Boardwalk. I like the exterior of the Yacht Club. I like the interior of the Beach Club. I like the idea of impeccable service at the Grand Floridan as well as being 1 monorail stop from the Magic Kingdom. My wife is curious to stay at the Contemporary, though it doesn't appeal to me at all.

Help!!!

durangojim

We've stayed at the GF multiple times while my son was an infant and toddler and being on the monorail loop is definately a big advantage. However for the money that we paid (we always had an MK view room with an AP discount) I'm not so sure it is worth it. Lately we have been staying at the WL and find the boat to the MK to be convenient as well, just not as much as the monorail. On a couple of trips we split things up between the Beach Club and the WL which is what we'll be doing next month. Depending on the length of your vacation I would spend half at the Beach Club and half at the GF and make a day trip to the WL to check it out and consider staying there in the future.

Upvote 0

SleepingMonk

I vote for the Contemporary.

Of course I'm a Sci-fi geek and love to watch Logan's Run before we go.

Quite a resemblance in the opening scene and some Disney locations....hmmmm.

Upvote 0

DonaldDoleWhip

Grand Floridian! It's an amazing hotel. Your kids will love being one monorail stop away from the Magic Kingdom, and the grounds are beautiful. The rooms were refreshed in 2007, and they're not as stuffy as they used to be - in fact, GF's new rooms are my favorite rooms in WDW now (way better than the Polynesian's new rooms, which feel very dark).

My second choice would be Beach Club. It's not on the monorail, but its atmosphere is incredibly child friendly. The pool area is the best in WDW, and the boats/walkways to 2 parks are a great convenience. The only downside is the longer trip to MK, which will probably be your preferred park.

I agree with the idea of potentially splitting your vacation between Beach Club and Grand Floridian. However, if you only feel like one hotel, I would stick with the Floridian.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Grand Floridian! It's an amazing hotel. Your kids will love being one monorail stop away from the Magic Kingdom, and the grounds are beautiful. The rooms were refreshed in 2007, and they're not as stuffy as they used to be - in fact, GF's new rooms are my favorite rooms in WDW now (way better than the Polynesian's new rooms, which feel very dark).

My second choice would be Beach Club. It's not on the monorail, but its atmosphere is incredibly child friendly. The pool area is the best in WDW, and the boats/walkways to 2 parks are a great convenience. The only downside is the longer trip to MK, which will probably be your preferred park.

I agree with the idea of potentially splitting your vacation between Beach Club and Grand Floridian. However, if you only feel like one hotel, I would stick with the Floridian.

Any pics on what they did to the GF rooms or a description?

Upvote 0

November Girl

Don't forget the Wilderness Lodge as an alternative. We love this hotel! You have the daily boats right to Magic Kingdom, a really fun and entertaining, kid-friendly sit-down restaurant: Whispering Canyon, a very cool pool, a beach for sand play, less walking, since the resort is more compact than say the Poly, a quick jaunt to Fort Wilderness for a pony ride, or a quick boat to The Contemporary to eat, shop or to catch the monorail. Plus it's more relaxed than the GF.

Upvote 0

durangojim

I would perfer to stay at Saratoga Springs-its a Deluxe Resort and a DVC member resort as well.

I'm curious about this. To me, SS seems kind of like the odd man out of the deluxe resorts as it is far from the theme parks and the theming seems somewhat minimal. Could you expand on what you like about it, and please don't think I'm trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to figure out what the attraction is for that resort.

Upvote 0

DonaldDoleWhip

GF New Rooms

Here is a picture of the new Grand Floridian rooms. IMO, the rooms look better in person. They feel very light and elegant, but they aren't stuffy like the rooms used to be. Here's a pic that I took of a GF room.

img9560js1.jpg

Upvote 0

coltow

We are thinking of booking WL for next year and have a question; is it worth the extra money to book the villas or are the rooms sufficient? I know it's a matter of opinion...but while I like more space, I am having trouble justifying the extra money. Any opinions would be welcome. Oh, and woods view, standard view or courtyard view if staying in the regular rooms?
1st time we had standard view and it overlooked the bus stop. 2nd time spend a bit more for courtyard and it was beautiful. We were right near the elevator and could sit on balcony and listen to the river running. We could see the river, pool and lake from our room. Personally with my 2 kids I'd be plenty happy with a room rather than villa. We don't usually get a car so can't easliy get to grocery store to get food for meals. That to me would be the reason to stay in villas if you planned to eat meals there.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
We are obviously no help to you as we are as diverse in our opinions as is possible...:lol:

Of the deluxes mentioned, when our kids were younger, definitely a monorail hotel. The transportation convenience is significant.

Currently, as we spend a good deal of time in Epcot, our choice of the three is Beach Club. 5 minute walk to Epcot, 15 to Studios. Snack area nearby (lacking at Boardwalk). Gym and Spa.

One thing that we liked about DVC property (staying as non-DVC) are the in room jacuzzi's, washer and dryer.

While we've stayed at Contemporary a number of times, and it IS nice...reminds me too much of a Hilton....

GF has the gym and spa, although Poly is an easy walk to it and has access.

Upvote 0

durangojim

1st time we had standard view and it overlooked the bus stop. 2nd time spend a bit more for courtyard and it was beautiful. We were right near the elevator and could sit on balcony and listen to the river running. We could see the river, pool and lake from our room. Personally with my 2 kids I'd be plenty happy with a room rather than villa. We don't usually get a car so can't easliy get to grocery store to get food for meals. That to me would be the reason to stay in villas if you planned to eat meals there.

At WL the Courtyard or Woods view rooms are the way to go. They are extremely peaceful and relaxing, standard rooms on the other hand, not so great. The one time we had a standard, it overlooked the delivery area and was in essence looking at a big dirty parking lot with a dumpster. Paying an extra $20-40 per night is definately worth it to get a better class of room.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

...if you do end up at the Grand FL - there's no going 'up' from there!

There's always the King Kamehameha Suite at the Polynesian.

Presidential Suite (King Kamehameha Suite) - 1863 sq ft ($1805.00 to $2490.00 per night - appx)
This suite has two bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, with a parlor. This is a two floor suite, with the main living area on the first floor, and the two bedrooms on the second floor. The mini kitchen here includes a small refrigerator, ice maker, small microwave and sink. There are also standard connecting rooms availalbe that could make this a five bedroom suite.

:king:

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

We stayed at the GF when we went for a short 4 day trip last year. I have to warn you, my DD (who was 8) fell in love with the place. Now she is always asking when we are goin go to stay there again. :brick:

Upvote 0

Mr.EPCOT

I think the Grand Floridian is overrated. My absolute favorite is the Polynesian, followed by the Wilderness Loadge and then the Contemporary.

Upvote 0

DonaldDoleWhip

I think the Grand Floridian is overrated. My absolute favorite is the Polynesian, followed by the Wilderness Loadge and then the Contemporary.
I have to say, I used to think the same thing about the Grand Floridian. We were hesitant to return there for several years because we didn't really think there was anything super special about it. That changed after our May and July visits this year.

Relaxing music is always piped into the lobby. Cast members were walking around the lobby handing out fresh roses to the women. Check-in was incredibly smooth, and they worked very hard to satisfy our requests for specific buildings or certain views.

Our most recent stay there was from July 1-7. During this week, the hotel was celebrating its 20th anniversary. Special events were going on in the lobby most days, and the atmosphere was great. We had booked a garden view, but at check-in we asked if anything concierge was available. We were upgraded to a concierge 1-bedroom suite, free of charge. And as a memento for staying at the Grand Floridian during its 20th anniversary celebration, we were given one of the original room keys from the hotel. The experience was magical.

Even without the unique and magical surprises of our July trip, it isn't a joke when people say that the Grand Floridian service is truly a cut above the other deluxe resorts. Everyone at the hotel tries their best to make the guest happy, and we really appreciated their hospitality. Also, the rooms are gorgeous and no hotel has faster transport to the Magic Kingdom (from the main building concierge lounge to the Magic Kingdom entrance, it took me 6 minutes).

Upvote 0

PrincessBitty

We've stayed at the GF on our honeymoon and the vibe we saw was not very child-friendly. The atmosphere is very adult (no real themed kids pool, etc.) and when we ate at the restaurants, even the casual GF Cafe, people with kids were definitely getting dirty looks from the older crowd.

Upvote 0

durangojim

We've stayed at the GF on our honeymoon and the vibe we saw was not very child-friendly. The atmosphere is very adult (no real themed kids pool, etc.) and when we ate at the restaurants, even the casual GF Cafe, people with kids were definitely getting dirty looks from the older crowd.

Very strange. We've stayed there with my son three or four times while he was between the ages of 9 months and 3 years and never had anything but great times from the staff or other guests. The infinity pool is themed with waterfalls and a slide, and the large pool is usually full of kids during the afternoon. Also taking the small boat to the MK the night of MNSSHP while we were dressed as pirates was definately a highlight for him. I think your experience was the exception to the rule.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom