Which decade did you first visit WDW?

In which decade did you first visit Walt Disney World?

• 1970s

• 1980s

• 1990s

• 2000s

• 2010s

• 2020s

• Planning my first trip!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Minnesota disney fan

It was l977, not too long after opening. My children were 5 and 7, and I think the perfect age for Disney:)
I remember how pristine it was with CM's always spotted cleaning up things, sweeping, etc.
I can't remember what parks were open, but of course remember MK. What a special time it was.
I thought Haunted Mansion was the best ride in the world, and I still love it.
I remember the gondolas in MK. It was so nice to hop on at one end of the park and arrive at the other. Wish they still had it.

Walt Disney1955

Feeling embarrass to be the only 2010s atm

Sadly and unforgivably my parents never too us to wdw (we did do Paris though) so I made sure to take my DD when she 2, 3, 4 and more recently 9

Even then I can see how much has been lost, my personal biggest gripe is the 1st year we went we watched parades in HWS and AK now both long cut.

My daughter and wife keep harassing me to go back to “Disney” but I insist on seeing any other Disney park around the globe. Unfortunately when me daughter says “disney” she really means Orlando and wants to visit Universal as much if not more than WDW. So this makes it difficult to push Cali, Tokyo or even Paris because they dont have the Hagrid coaster 🙄

Hey, it is NEVER too late to go to WDW. I was blessed to do it as a kid as well, but my wife didn't do it until after we were married and she loves it as well. But as for your family, all I can say is that no one regrets their trip to Disneyland. I didn't. I personally think that Disneyland is the best park. Better than Magic Kingdom. I know that WDW is the better resort with more to do, but the best park and the original is Disneyland. If California ever gets their act together and opens it to non-California residents then don't miss out on it.

My oldest brother and I drove 12 hours to get there...spent the night in the car...was with in the first 500 into the park
That is incredible.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Pretty sure it was the late '70's... Magic Kingdom Club discounted hotel (CR Garden Wing) and "resort package"...

lindawdw

My first visit was in 1975 when my high school chorus teacher was kind enough to take a large group of us with he and his wife! It was just the MK at that time and I remember being in awe of everything I saw in Florida! I'd never seen a palm tree in person and the cleanliness of the park and the two resorts (Contemporary and Polynesian) was so memorable. I was hooked from that point on.

February 1972, 7 months old. My brother was 4 and sister was 7. My oldest daughter(24) got engaged on our recent trip in early march. My brother and sister are both set to be grandparents this summer. All extended family still loves disney thanks to my now 76 year old parents taking us way back then.

Toodycat

My first visit was in 1983. My boyfriend---now husband---took me to Florida to meet his father. We rented a car and drove to WDW. It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Mesa Azul

1986 for me, as a little squirt. Very young, had just moved to Florida, the family tripped down the I-4 to the Magic Kingdom. I liked WDW, but wasn't in love with WDW. Then we did Epcot, and I was in love. I spent the better part of summers, and quite a few nights and weekends at the park (both parks, really), since it was only about an hour and a half trip from my house, and season passes for locals were cheap back then. Friends and I would go to the park just to hang out and Epcot Center was a very special place for me growing up.

Likewise, Universal once it opened. I remember being there for the opening week and half of the rides not working, Jaws kept clamping on to the boat and flooding it, and the Ghostbusters show was shut down (complete with cast members outside in costume) due to the government saying their lasers weren't safe. Actually, that was freaking brilliant, with suited Ghostbusters saying, "The government shut us down, folks... Sorry... No show today."

I left Florida in 2000, and visited WDW only a few times before I left in '99. My Epcot is still a weird mix of old and new, Horizons, Test Track was up and running. Mr. Toad was still on his wild ride in Fantasy Land. Came out to LA and have visited Land only a few times. It never felt as magical to me, but I know the Magic Kingdom is not what it was. Not to say it's bad, just different and for a different Disney Kid... Disney would be a fool to target me as an audience. I haven't regularly visited since 1999 ;)

AFoodie

Feeling embarrass to be the only 2010s atm

Sadly and unforgivably my parents never too us to wdw (we did do Paris though) so I made sure to take my DD when she 2, 3, 4 and more recently 9

Even then I can see how much has been lost, my personal biggest gripe is the 1st year we went we watched parades in HWS and AK now both long cut.

My daughter and wife keep harassing me to go back to “Disney” but I insist on seeing any other Disney park around the globe. Unfortunately when me daughter says “disney” she really means Orlando and wants to visit Universal as much if not more than WDW. So this makes it difficult to push Cali, Tokyo or even Paris because they dont have the Hagrid coaster 🙄
Take her to Universal... and I’m a Disney lover saying this! Each of the parks have their own charm & Universal KILLS it with the Wizarding World lands! The food is fantastic, too. Then go back to Disney when things are less restricted so you can really enjoy it.

ChubbyK

Hey, it is NEVER too late to go to WDW. I was blessed to do it as a kid as well, but my wife didn't do it until after we were married and she loves it as well. But as for your family, all I can say is that no one regrets their trip to Disneyland. I didn't. I personally think that Disneyland is the best park. Better than Magic Kingdom. I know that WDW is the better resort with more to do, but the best park and the original is Disneyland. If California ever gets their act together and opens it to non-California residents then don't miss out on it.

That is incredible.

That is incredible.
Have a trip planned for this October and be there once again on the 1st...Didn't have tickets for that day until today ...Now I can stroll down Main Street just like I did 50 years ago

Jay & Sue

My parents came to Florida in the late 80s to visit my mother's sister. My mother loved Disney so much (especially Small World) that she gave me, my wife, and two daughters a trip to Disney in the early 90's as a Christmas present. Wife and I now own two homes here less than 8 miles from Disney - guess we love it also! Small World has a special place in our hearts and we always pitch a couple pennies overboard every time we ride it which is quite often. Just wish they would start selling the resident annual passes again!!

Heppenheimer

70s. I'm old enough to remember the movie theater in the Contemporary, which would show classic Disney animated films nightly. I even saw Song of the South here once. I even retain very vague memories of the long-gone Mickey Mouse Revue, although it's possible I only remember it from an old family 8 mm movie.

My mom still refers to Disney Springs as "Lake Buena Vista".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom