Which best describes Walt Disney World?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well once upon a time it was amusement and entertainment, but sometime around the time of Eisner it became a way to farm money as I think his tenure was the time the shops started moving toward selling the same wal-mart style crap that you could already get outside the parks inside the park but at a much higher price.

You would think that after a certain time period maybe say 1 year of no new posts that the moderators would have the common sense to lock a thread so it doesn't turn into a zombie thread the keeps rising from the dead for no apparent reason. Unless this is a sport... Maybe we should start trolling the oldest parts of the forum and try to revive long dead threads.

Goofyernmost

I think a little differently, yea I know, surprise, but I believe we overthink just about everything. We certainly do over estimate just exactly what a Disney Park is supposed to be. It should be different for everyone because everyone is different in how we react to anything. To me it was a fantasy place, a place to escape everyday life and if we ever needed that we sure could use it now. Disney gives us what it decides we might want and we can take what is offered and find a way to make our own world out of it. That's is all it was ever designed to be.

Another world, a world where political and economic pressures are blocked from whatever part of the brain those things are floating around in upsetting our lives daily. A place where we can be that kid again. We cannot be that kid if all we are going to worry about is what merchandise they sell or how much they charge for it. Food is one thing, but merchandise like T-Shirts and other branded items are completely voluntary when it comes to the purchase. Cost to much, don't buy it. It CAN be had at Walmart or Target just outside the gate for half the price so if we are upset about the cost, remember we are the ones that decided to spend it there, they just offered it. We analyze the fun right out of the place. How deep into thought do you think kids get. If it glitters it is great! As adults we can do the same thing and just like everything else when it gets to no longer generate anything but anger, we might has well have not taken that holiday and just stayed at work. Still our choice!

Here's a radical idea... If Disney hadn't sucked every nickel out of us over the years, the current Pandemic might very well have meant the end WDW. That many months with that drastic a loss of income would leave most entertainment venues out of business. Do I think that Disney should over charge? Hell no! But right now I'm glad they did because now I may be able to go again.

nickys

Premium Member
Well once upon a time it was amusement and entertainment, but sometime around the time of Eisner it became a way to farm money as I think his tenure was the time the shops started moving toward selling the same wal-mart style crap that you could already get outside the parks inside the park but at a much higher price.

So was this a deliberate case of trolling then, in your own words?

thomas998

So was this a deliberate case of trolling then, in your own words?
Deliberate case of making a point. To be trolling I would have said something I didn't believe just to get a rise out of people. That isn't something I do. This was just commenting on an old thread honestly but at the same time showing how dead thread can be revived.

nickys

Premium Member
Deliberate case of making a point. To be trolling I would have said something I didn't believe just to get a rise out of people. That isn't something I do. This was just commenting on an old thread honestly but at the same time showing how dead thread can be revived.
Except that in your post quoted above you use the phrase “trolling”. 🧐

“Maybe we should start trolling the oldest parts of the forum and try to revive long dead threads”.

thomas998

Except that in your post quoted above you use the phrase “trolling”. 🧐

“Maybe we should start trolling the oldest parts of the forum and try to revive long dead threads”.
Trolling has more than one definition.... it also means systematically searching for something. Remember this is English which is not the most logical language in the world.

Giss Neric

Nostalgic.

That is why Disney fans worldwide are so hardcore cause Disney has got the nostalgia locked in.

Oh my goodness. I just realized this thread was from 2001. Who digs that deep?

KaliSplash

Mickey's job is to make money. The method he uses is different from a steel company, a lawyer's office, or a delivery service. Mickey tries to get you to spend money on the entertainment he offers. Americans like to spend money on entertainment. But ultimately, Mickey's purpose is to make money. Lots of it.

nickys

Premium Member
Trolling has more than one definition.... it also means systematically searching for something. Remember this is English which is not the most logical language in the world.
I think you might mean trawling then, not trolling. I cannot find a definition that matches yours.

thomas998

I think you might mean trawling then, not trolling. I cannot find a definition that matches yours.
No, I meant trolling, as in the definition below from the Oxford dictionary of English.

"Carefully and systematically search an area for something.
‘a group of companies trolling for partnership opportunities’"

While Trawling as a very similar definition I tend to equate it more with offshore fishing as it is usually a noun rather than a verb, like the trawlers were pulling in shrimp.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom