Which April Week?

Pooh'sBuddy

Howdy!!

I’m the researcher/planner in our family and hopefully am not overanalyzing this. I searched the trip planning forum and took notes on the EMH, early and late, strategies. Man, this is a total science. I’ve recently had a great chat with Len Testa and now would like to ask for y’all’s opinions.

If you had the option of spending six days (April 2009) in the World (Sunday through Friday) would you choose days that touringplans.com lists as 10, 9, 9, 6, 6, and 8 or 6, 6, 6, 4, 4, and X (not listed yet)? We’re staying at POFQ and we’re planning on going with friends who really want to go the earlier of the two weeks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I value your input and have to ask before I second guess our decision.

Jennifer

fizzle75

We always go in mid April for our anniversary(16th) and based on our experience and what I've read on the boards April is a busy month all around. Between Spring Breaks and Easter it's a pretty busy time so in all honesty I don't know that it really matters which week you choose, it's gonna be about the same either way you go. I would definitely avoid Easter week though and shoot for later in the month. Easter falls on the 12th next year, so keep that in mind as you decide.

We plan on going again next year in April but we probably won't leave until the 16th, which is our Anniversary. Despite the crowds April really is a great time to go, the weather is usually tolerable and you get to experience the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. If next year plays out like this year, they should be running the Pirate and Princess parties during your stay as well.

I hope this helps a little. Happy planning!:wave:

Upvote 0

hcphish

We’re staying at POFQ and we’re planning on going with friends who really want to go the earlier of the two weeks.

It really doesn't matter as far as crowds and weather are concerned they are both relatively the same throughout the entire month.

My only concern for you would be the fact that you are traveling with another family that sounds like they want a specific time. If you go later in the month against what they want and it turns out to be miserable (highly unlikely) they will never let you live it down and it will probably always be "I told you we should have gone earlier."

If it truely doesn't matter to you when you go and your friends have a specific reason on wanting to go ealier than go early.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
If I had flexibility in the schedule, I would opt for the lighter week...but being as we've been down the last two years over Easter....you can make that work as well. On crowded days, it is important to get to the parks first thing and have a general agenda planned. You can decompress mid afternoon back at the hotel, then head out for dinner and some more park time. We personally avoid the late night EMH's as on busy days they are crowded until very late as well.
Also be sure you have your ADR's

Upvote 0

happymom52003

I would choose your second week. That first one you listed is way too close to Easter....those two days that the crowd calendar is predicting a 9 and a 10 will be miserable for you if you hate crowds.

I guess it depends on the reasons your friends want to go the earlier week....what are they? If it is easier for them to get off work or school, or if they need to be in town that other week for some sort of event, then I guess you should go when they can go.

But if they do not have any real reason, talk them into that last week of April. We went during that same week in 2006 and again in 2007, and it was great.

Whichever you choose, you will still have a great time because you are in Disney.

But I disagree with the other posters who are telling you there will not be a difference in crowds during those two weeks. Touringplans.com has those numbers lower for that last week of April for a reason.

There is a HUGE difference between a 4 and a 10. If you notice, there are very few fours throughout the year....if you can go during a time when several fours are listed, I think you should take full advantage of that.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

Original Poster
Thank you, all, for your comments. We really appreciate your help. Hubby and I think we may change our plans.

Yes, hubby and I think that crowds will put us in bad moods and we'd like to prevent that as much as possible. It's been quite a while since each of us has gone and this will be our boys' first visit. We want it to be as fun as possible.

Their reason is the last week is too hot. I don't particularly agree, especially looking at weather.com's numbers for this past month.

We do plan on being at each park each day early, rest and park hop (using the method of going to the park which hosted the late EMH the prior day), and avoid the park hosting the late EMH.

I've learned so much from you guys. Thanks a whole, big bunch. :wave:

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Their reason is the last week is too hot. I don't particularly agree, especially looking at weather.com's numbers for this past month.

Okay, looking at touringplans.com I am thinking the two weeks you are considering are back to back, is this correct?

I could understand their reasoning if your two choices were weeks apart, but not when they are back to back.

Yes, it could be very warm....but it is not what I call hot. April can even still have the occasional cool evening. When we went the two times that last week, we had several cool nights.

And I see you are from Texas....I am too....Florida weather is alot like ours in Texas....there are certain months in the year where you really have no idea what the temp will be like, regardless of what history has been.

You could choose that first week you are considering and end up with a rare record breaking heat spell....you just never know.

If there does ever end up being a huge temp difference between those two back to back weeks, it is pure chance....something that could never have been predicted.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

Original Poster
Okay, looking at touringplans.com I am thinking the two weeks you are considering are back to back, is this correct?

I could understand their reasoning if your two choices were weeks apart, but not when they are back to back.

Yes, it could be very warm....but it is not what I call hot. April can even still have the occasional cool evening. When we went the two times that last week, we had several cool nights.

And I see you are from Texas....I am too....Florida weather is alot like ours in Texas....there are certain months in the year where you really have no idea what the temp will be like, regardless of what history has been.

You could choose that first week you are considering and end up with a rare record breaking heat spell....you just never know.

If there does ever end up being a huge temp difference between those two back to back weeks, it is pure chance....something that could never have been predicted.

Yes, we're talking (Patriot's Week) week of April 19th and week of April 26th.

80 something isn't hot to me, either. We've got our misty misters and are crazy enough to use 'em.

Hubby and I will discuss and bring up the idea with our friends.

Thanks again!!!

Upvote 0

kirst_al UK

Id its defo april you want to go then i'd say the back end of april....that way your far enough away from easter to be greatly effected by the spring break crowds...

If you can the first week in may would be even better...we tend to go end of april through beginning of april...out second week tends to be quieter than the first...

Upvote 0

darrin933

I am not sure if when they are but I would find out when the grad night weekends are. I am not sure:shrug: but they might be the last two friday and saturdays of the month.

Upvote 0

Wildcat99

My husband and I have just booked out next trip April 17 - 23, 2009. How do you think the crowds will be then? We figured all the kids were back in school getting ready for summer break.

Upvote 0

Philo

I would go with the lower waits listed on touringplans.com - April is always going to be quite busy but if it's listed as mostly 8's and 9's then that would be too much for me.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

My husband and I have just booked out next trip April 17 - 23, 2009. How do you think the crowds will be then? We figured all the kids were back in school getting ready for summer break.

That week is going to be very crowded because of when Easter falls (April 12). The first three days of your trip are rated 10's on the crowd calendar which means the parks will be at capacity, and then you've got 9's which is not much better.

The week starting with Easter Sunday is the second most crowded time at Disney World behind Christmas.
If you are flexible with your dates, I would highly suggest changing them.

You should check out the crowd calendar on touringplans.com if you are worried about crowds. We always use it to plan our trip dates. There are times that adjusting your trip by even a few days can make a huge difference.

Of course, due to school and work schedules, alot of people can only go during peak times. With some planning and the right attitude, you can still have a great trip. But like I said.....if you are flexible with the time you can go, it will be so much nicer when the parks are not jammed packed.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

Original Poster
I would go with the lower waits listed on touringplans.com - April is always going to be quite busy but if it's listed as mostly 8's and 9's then that would be too much for me.

Also, remember that Grad Nights are now going to take place at the Studios rather than MK when your doing your planning!

Thanks. Long lines make us cranky, and with two boys who will be almost five and just turning three, I foresee a trainwreck. And yes, we tried to avoid Grad Nights as much as possible.

jer

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom