Where's ReDisniey E-Dew's Updates?

jmvd20

Sorry if I mistook your statement, but looking through your posts, you made it a fairly explicit statement that Disney WOULD NOT do something like this. If it was meant as "I don't think Disney would", then I apologize.

I just re-read every single post I made in this thread and I cannot find any instance where I said Disney wouldn;t do that. I said I find it hard to beleive that an imagineer would post on a Disney forum putting their job in jeopardy in order to impress people.

Anyway my words have been mis-interpreted before, it seems as if sometimes I may come off a certain way even though when I was writing it my intentions were much different. No need for any apology either, a simple misunderstanding is all that it seems to have been! :wave:

It has nothing to do with giving us the heads up for our sakes. It's not altruistic. It's a sounding board.

As for why...

Good points.

I would easily see Disney sending someone to monitor message boards to see what is being said. I guess I just found it a little unrealistic to send someone from WDI to a forum like this to purposely post things about upcoming refurbs, attractions etc... In that case it just seems easier to simply release the information on their website or a similar media.

jt04

I just re-read every single post I made in this thread and I cannot find any instance where I said Disney wouldn;t do that. I said I find it hard to beleive that an imagineer would post on a Disney forum putting their job in jeopardy in order to impress people.

Anyway my words have been mis-interpreted before, it seems as if sometimes I may come off a certain way even though when I was writing it my intentions were much different. No need for any apology either, a simple misunderstanding is all that it seems to have been! :wave:

Good points.

I would easily see Disney sending someone to monitor message boards to see what is being said. I guess I just found it a little unrealistic to send someone from WDI to a forum like this to purposely post things about upcoming refurbs, attractions etc... In that case it just seems easier to simply release the information on their website or a similar media.

CB3K said there was "no chance" they would do that. People were responding to you and CB3K. And who said someone from WDI would be sent to this forum? I think someone said marketing or publicity. I am still waiting for CB3K to tell us which ReDis rumor is completely untrue. He seems unwilling to respond:shrug:

fyn

Sorry for the double post. THe problem with a forum like that is that you would (a) have too many people with it and (b) have people that would use it as personal pedestals. While these sites can take that format in a way, it's not going directly to Disney. If that were the case, it would be more like individual lobbying on Capitol Hill.

I respectfully disagree. There are a number of official forums that are tightly monitored, and staffed well enough that each and every post that remains for more than ~ 5 minutes is extremely targeted and on topic.

Epcot82Guy

Unfortuantely, the time it takes to understand how a forum works is significant at this point. Many, many posters here really had no clue how to go about it when they first came into the boards (myself included). If Disney were to centralize its own efforts into this, it would be costly since much of the time would be spent familiarizing people with the system rather than getting help.

The other problem is that people come to sites in order to get uncensored information. As soon as Disney officially jumps on board, that legitimacy starts to slip away. While the "how to" information could certainly be included, the reviews and less-than-impressive statements are more subject. Now, that is changing (see sites like Target.com where product reviews are included). But, I personally think people would shy away from a Disney-sponsored board if they are looking for objective information.

Perhaps then it merely suggests a need for both: A tailored Disney message board sponsored by WDW (or DL or other area) to deal with trip planning questions and tips and the existing sites like our wonderful site here to actually debate out the topics, rumors, discussions, etc.

Epcot82Guy

CB3K said there was "no chance" they would do that. People were responding to you and CB3K. And who said someone from WDI would be sent to this forum? I think someone said marketing or publicity. I am still waiting for CB3K to tell us which ReDis rumor is completely untrue. He seems unwilling to respond:shrug:

I saw that, too. I apologize for lumping responses together. Point being that this is VERY possible and "trendy" in the marketing research world.

tirian

Disney monitors these boards. Period. Now that the average American does browse forums like these for vacation information, Disney wants to know what is being told to future Guests. I wouldn't put it past them to plant PR campaigns; I myself have been told to "go online and see what people have to say about our department." (Don't worry. Monitoring sites is NOT my job.)

However, Disney is much more concerned about what Al Lutz has to say, because...

(1) He's been correct often lately, which indicates some high-level leaks.

(2) The local press in California regularly quotes him and considers him a single-man watchdog group. The LA Times usually considers Lutz's opinion more valid the Disney PR stuff.

I don't think that ReDis is concerning anyone.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I guess it is a possibility... I just wonder why? Disney knows that they have people on a message board locked up, why would they waste the time feeding us information on purpose? They relese what they want to at press events, not to a few thousand people on the internet.

Possibly as a barometer of fan opinion? :shrug:

I think that it's quite possible that Disney releases small tidbits to find out how people feel about certain things.

DisneyNut2007

Original Poster
However, Disney is much more concerned about what Al Lutz has to say, because...

(1) He's been correct often lately, which indicates some high-level leaks.

(2) The local press in California regularly quotes him and considers him a single-man watchdog group. The LA Times usually considers Lutz's opinion more valid the Disney PR stuff.

But the fact remains that Lutz is still extremely questionable...and highly overrated.

And anyone who does quote him in the times is a lousy writer that does not do real research. A true reporter would actually go to great lengths to get in touch with someone who's actually IN the company to get information, not just rely on someone who prefers to write sensationalistic trash like Lutz.

And let's not get started on how Lutz's writing style continues to take turns for the worst every year, as he becomes increasingly brash, stoops to bigger and bigger all-time lows and continues to rely more and more on name-calling (such as calling Meg Crofton a "wonk") and criticizing things for no reason (like with WDW being his current "whipping boy").

If only Enderikari were here to enlighten us...

tirian

But the fact remains that Lutz is still extremely questionable...and highly overrated.

And anyone who does quote him in the times is a lousy writer that does not do real research. A true reporter would actually go to great lengths to get in touch with someone who's actually IN the company to get information, not just rely on someone who prefers to write sensationalistic trash like Lutz.

And let's not get started on how Lutz's writing style continues to take turns for the worst every year, as he becomes increasingly brash, stoops to bigger and bigger all-time lows and continues to rely more and more on name-calling (such as calling Meg Crofton a "wonk") and criticizing things for no reason (like with WDW being his current "whipping boy").

Before I respond, I want to make this very clear: I agree that Lutz is a sensationalist, and I do not agree with everything he writes. I am certainly NOT defending him!

However, his facts have been about 99.9% correct lately; and the only time his facts were wrong was when Disney changed plans suddenly, or when the details were not yet known (such as the recent YoMD debacle). He broke the news regarding Pirate Island, the DCA improvements, and Rasulo's fall from grace. Despite his ridiculous DL fanboy-isms, Lutz has great sources. And contrary to immature beliefs, he does not hate the WDC as a whole; he merely tries to point out the problems so that they get fixed.

It is commonly known within the WDC that Lasseter and others are not pleased with how much correct information has been leaked online through Lutz.

tirian

Why would the media want to quote the WDC? You know, the same one that initially denied the Pirate Island rumors and insisted that the wand wasn't coming down (when the plan already existed)? The Disney PR department has lied so many times within the last few years that the media does not take it seriously anymore.

Is this good? No. But it's Disney's own fault. The PR department needs to stop behaving like a giant spin doctor.

p.s. Neither Enderikari nor anyone else is always right. Please stop requesting his presence like he's a saint or something. It's disturbing. :lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
For all those who doubt planted and "managed" leaks why do you think the military spend $$$ millions on PsyOps.

Contol what you want known, muddy the real leaks you dont.

Like Disney its all about controlling hearts and minds.

tirian

You're right; there are managed leaks. Most of the people who post on Disney-centric boards visit Disney parks frequently and spend a lot of money on merchandise. The average American does not purchase clothes from disneyshopping.com. Furthermore, the Internet has allowed any company's target audience to praise--or complain--loudly. For the first time in a long time, Disney cares about what the fans want.

DisneyNut2007

Original Poster
It now feels like an eternity since the last time he posted on this forum, which was on August 5th.

I hope that we'll see ReDis' next update in a few days now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom