Where'd the Trees in Magic Kingdom's Central Hub Go?

DisneyYorkian74

Original Poster
What happened to the trees that used to be located in the central hub of the Magic Kingdom right after Main Street? And why did Disney decide to remove them?

The trees added a good sense of realism to the castle environment and were used as a good transition and separation from the Main Street architecture to the architecture and environment of Cinderella Castle.

The view of Cinderella Castle while you're walking down Main Street just doesn't look right without those trees there, not to mention that the central hub looks way too open and empty as well.

I really hope that their absence is just temporary.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I imagine that there fate was somewhat similar to this.

newch238ilogpag1.jpg

While they did look nice they had grown too big and really blocked the view for wishes.

DisneyYorkian74

Original Poster
Um, you do realize that the hub construction/conversion took place in 2005 right? It's been as-is for four years now.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Main-Street-USA/News.htm

They took out trees, lowered the curb and broadened walkway space.

I know it had been done a while back, but I had no idea exactly when and why.

I had no idea so much work had been done... And I can't believe Disney did all of that for temporary below average castle stage show.:(

The entire central hub looks very awkward now and obviously has looked so for four years now.

I guess Disney won't change anything to the walkway changes that they made, but I really hope they eventually plant those trees back.

DisneyYorkian74

Original Poster
While they did look nice they had grown too big and really blocked the view for wishes.

I think those trees had a great purpose though and really added to atmosphere of that part of the park.

I know a lot of people also liked how the lights would sparkle on them at night too.

The central hub is just one really big slab of concrete now.

Buried20KLeague

I was one that was REALLY unhappy when they took those trees out... I loved the twinkling lights at night.

But the reason was that they were really blocking people's view for wishes, which makes good sense.

And not just that, but some were saying as they grew they were starting to mess with the forced perspective of the castle.

Now... Why in the world they removed the square trees from around SSE... I have no idea.:fork::fork: :fork:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think those trees had a great purpose though and really added to atmosphere of that part of the park.

I know a lot of people also liked how the lights would sparkle on them at night too.

I do not see it as such. I like trees as much as the next guy but large areas of the hub being unsuitable for the viewing of wishes means guest complaints which equals chain saw.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

I think that issue is down the road a few miles at Epcot. Not those concourse's need some foliage and grass.

DisneyYorkian74

Original Poster
wishes means guest complaints

I can understand viewing angle complaints, but why are people complaining specifically about Wishes?

Was there any problem with the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks display?

I would have thought Disney would have thought more about the park's theming integrity before deciding to fold so quickly to vistior complaints.

And couldn't Disney just replant new, younger trees and just get rid of them once they get too big... repeating the process?

(Although I think the old trees cover just the right amount of Cinderella Castle in all of the old pictures I look at.)

Am I foolish for hoping that Disney will one day in the near future replant those trees? Or are they really gone forever?:(

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can understand viewing angle complaints, but why are people complaining specifically about Wishes?

Was there any problem with the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks display?

I would have thought Disney would have thought more about the park's theming integrity before deciding to fold so quickly to vistior complaints.

And couldn't Disney just replant new, younger trees and just get rid of them once they get too big... repeating the process?

(Although I think the old trees cover just the right amount of Cinderella Castle in all of the old pictures I look at.)

Am I foolish for hoping that Disney will one day in the near future replant those trees? Or are they really gone forever?:(
They are gone forever. 99% of the people that go to WDW could have cared less about the trees. They simply want an unobstructed view of the fireworks.

joel_maxwell

They are gone forever. 99% of the people that go to WDW could have cared less about the trees. They simply want an unobstructed view of the fireworks.
Werent they starting to get tall enough they were obstructing the view of the castle. Memory doesnt serve?

happymom52003

I'm in the 1% that did care. I think alot of the charm of the castle area was lost when they made what in my opinion was a very drastic change.

I understand about the fireworks being blocked, but I really think Disney could have done a better job at fixing the problem. I think they went to extremes, and honestly no matter how hard I try not to or how long it has been, I still see something missing when I look at the castle area. It just has not looked quite right to me since they made the changes.

I agree 100% with the OP.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Werent they starting to get tall enough they were obstructing the view of the castle. Memory doesnt serve?
Indeed they were. They had gotten quite big and really made the hub just horrible for getting views of the castle. You were either too close to the castle or there was a tree in your way.

joel_maxwell

Indeed they were. They had gotten quite big and really made the hub just horrible for getting views of the castle. You were either too close to the castle or there was a tree in your way.
That is vaguely what i remember. I guess they used a heavy duty stump grinder and back-hoe to try and get all the roots.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That is vaguely what i remember. I guess they used a heavy duty stump grinder and back-hoe to try and get all the roots.
Once you grind out the stump the roots will typically die off. That being said I really have no clue what the did. With the removal of the curb the more than likely took a back hoe to the things and ripped them out.

jasondiff

The trees were getting too big; way back in 71 when they were installed they were much smaller. At that time the forced perspective worked well, but when the trees got too big they couldn't simply be trimmed back to their correct size, so they took them out. I do miss the twinkling lights, but many of the other trees around the hub still have them.

As for the square trees at Epcot, they too were getting old and the squares had quite a lot of holes in them from dead branches. Those trees were never designed to be trimmed into a square shape anyway; they were not that kind of tree. I applaud the move to the original look with the palms. Now to just get the rest of the entrance plaza back to it's original state...

joel_maxwell

Once you grind out the stump the roots will typically die off. That being said I really have no clue what the did. With the removal of the curb the more than likely took a back hoe to the things and ripped them out.
yeh, i would just hate for a 3 or 4 inch main root to rot and leave weak points in the concrete above.... but that is me being way to careful, there would never been that much weight in that one spot etc. your right.... let them die off.

The trees were getting too big; way back in 71 when they were installed they were much smaller. At that time the forced perspective worked well, but when the trees got too big they couldn't simply be trimmed back to their correct size, so they took them out. I do miss the twinkling lights, but many of the other trees around the hub still have them.

As for the square trees at Epcot, they too were getting old and the squares had quite a lot of holes in them from dead branches. Those trees were never designed to be trimmed into a square shape anyway; they were not that kind of tree. I applaud the move to the original look with the palms. Now to just get the rest of the entrance plaza back to it's original state...
Absolutely. More foliage in the entrance way.... which brings us to the tombstones :D

PeoplemoverTTA

I too miss the way the hub looked with the trees...and the shade that went with them. They definitely added more than just ambiance. Sitting in that area waiting for the parade can be brutal without any shade.

I agree that Epcot desperately needs more foliage too, and less (okay, zero) tombstones :).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom