Where'd all the benches go?

fillerup

And speaking of seating for those of you familiar with Food & Wine - as always on Friday night there were several picnic tables near the Lagoon in Germany.

By Sunday night they had all been removed - no idea why.

bobt2500

I know this is an old thread but having just returned from Disney I did a search for anyone else who noticed what I did. I was at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Disney Studios. I was there with my Children and Grandchildren who were as you would expect full of energy and wouldn't sit if I tried to make them but my Wife and I are older and really needed to take a break once in a while. It was very noticeable the lack of benches and there were lots of fences and walls where they would be at any other park. The cynic in me said that they must be trying to force me inside to spend money. Is that what they want their guests to think? Well, they got my last penny spent at Disney.

jaklgreen

I know this is an old thread but having just returned from Disney I did a search for anyone else who noticed what I did. I was at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Disney Studios. I was there with my Children and Grandchildren who were as you would expect full of energy and wouldn't sit if I tried to make them but my Wife and I are older and really needed to take a break once in a while. It was very noticeable the lack of benches and there were lots of fences and walls where they would be at any other park. The cynic in me said that they must be trying to force me inside to spend money. Is that what they want their guests to think? Well, they got my last penny spent at Disney.

I think that there are so many more guest going to the parks now that they are trying to make more walking space. Look what they did the the end of Main street by the castle. They filled in part of the moat to make more walkways.

JoeCamel

The benches have returned!!!! They are part of a new initiative by WDW called "Benches+". For a small fee, you can actually sit in comfort on these benches. Details on Genie+
Wonderful news! Huzzah, I cannot wait to sit in the shade of those old oak trees scattered through the hub, it is so pleasant to sit in the shade and people watch during the hot parts of the days...... well worth a few shekels, after all I'm in the World and money does not matter.

Cmdr_Crimson

Oh, if only Dave from the HCOE vacation planner had heard he would be ecstatic!
mqdefault.jpg

Goofyernmost

The benches have returned!!!! They are part of a new initiative by WDW called "Benches+". For a small fee, you can actually sit in comfort on these benches. Details on Genie+
There is another reason, there are many out there, like myself, with back issues. I can walk but I have to sit often, so to make my last trip to WDW in 2019 I had to rent a scooter or not go. So lack of benches is another reason for the increase in scooters.
As a family we tend to find a quiet corner in the shade somewhere and just sit on the floor.
In conjunction with the above post, youth has a way of not recognizing what happens to older people. Sitting on the floor is possible, getting back up from the floor is the issue. I would hate to think that I cannot go to WDW just because I'm old and no one cares. The phrase, "I've fallen and I can't get up", isn't just some catchy talking point, it is a real problem. Personally, I'm not ready to just hit the rocking chair and not enjoy anything.

SamandplanningUK

There is another reason, there are many out there, like myself, with back issues. I can walk but I have to sit often, so to make my last trip to WDW in 2019 I had to rent a scooter or not go. So lack of benches is another reason for the increase in scooters.

In conjunction with the above post, youth has a way of not recognizing what happens to older people. Sitting on the floor is possible, getting back up from the floor is the issue. I would hate to think that I cannot go to WDW just because I'm old and no one cares. The phrase, "I've fallen and I can't get up", isn't just some catchy talking point, it is a real problem. Personally, I'm not ready to just hit the rocking chair and not enjoy anything.

Oh no, I understand, I'm 'only' 40 but I struggle to get up off the floor, I get my husband to HOOF me up, its lucky he's strong!

ppete1975

I wonder if its almost a safety thing especially at MK. During the fireworks or parades i can see people getting pushed back, either because of crowds, someone needs to get through etc. Or since people do not watch where they are walking, and are usually looking at their phone or oblivious I wonder if people were being injured, in busier areas. It seems most of the benches now are way out of the way of the walk ways. But I could be totally wrong, I usually am.

jloucks

Being all old, removing seating just seems masochistic.

I really start to hurt after 8 hours on my feet, and sitting to recharge is the only thing that keeps me going.

...so that would be my guess, they want people to head back to the resorts and reduce crowding,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom