Where would you want to weather a hurricane in WDW?

YourHumbleServant

Original Poster
I don't know if you guys like to think about these things like I do...
This is just for fun (sort of like, where would you want to hole up in WDW in a zombie apocolypse?). Not intended as serious advice, etc..
If you had to ride out a hurricane for a couple of days at WDW, where would you want to do it?
I hesitate to put a bunch of conditions... I kind of think it's more fun to think about if you only have access to public places (can't go roaming utilidors or something, which basically gives you access to everything).

So, here are my initial thoughts:
1) A deluxe hotel. You don't want to have to go outside to get drinks, food, etc.. I'd say Contemporary for it's perceived sturdiness. Wilderness Lodge for its environment. As long as glass doesn't break, etc. Wilderness Lodge atrium seems like a cozy place to hunker down.
2) The Land. I just love the land. Besides, there are rides, food, bathrooms, and plenty of space to walk around. Also, as long as it doesn't flood, being below ground level is nice protection. Downside: no showers and no place to sleep...

Brad Bishop

I'd say any of the hotels/motels on site would be fine.

They're all built to withstand hurricanes and, in addition to that, you're pretty far inland.

I wouldn't want to be in Ft. Wilderness either camping or in the cabins (I think the cabins are portable). Also, with all of those trees and the fact that that area really doesn't get hit a lot there's more of a chance of downed trees which could suck if they hit your cabin, campsite, or block the road.

Raineman

I'd say any of the hotels/motels on site would be fine.

They're all built to withstand hurricanes and, in addition to that, you're pretty far inland.

I wouldn't want to be in Ft. Wilderness either camping or in the cabins (I think the cabins are portable). Also, with all of those trees and the fact that that area really doesn't get hit a lot there's more of a chance of downed trees which could suck if they hit your cabin, campsite, or block the road.
I believe that they have been evacuating the people in at-risk buildings like the FW cabins to other resorts. A vlogger I follow is at WDW, and he was moved from the FW cabins to Pop.

JIMINYCR

Top floor California Grill of the Contemporary. From that high up I'd have fun watching the storm as it blew in or have a nice shooters perch on the balcony to pick off zombies below. Enjoy some great food & beverages as long as it lasted. Then safely assess the storms damage or possibility of rejoining the human race when the zombies move on.

rob0519

I would pick the CR or the GF if guests had to be confined indoors for an entire day or more. Being in practically the middle of state WDW will not get the hurricane force winds that will tear up the coast.

Punzle

I think the most fun would be one of the park icons. Stay in the suite in the castle, explore the inside of the tree of life, or ride SSE over and over and find a spot to sleep with the Phoenicians. I'd probably pick the castle because it has a bedroom and bathroom and CRT and you could watch everything from high up.

bunnyman

Several people said the contemporary...only problem with that is the detached Garden Wing. Ideally, you need a resort with rooms in one main building (i.e. WL, BC, YC, etc.). If you're in a resort with detached buildings, you're stuck! During Charley we were in the WL, so if you got bored you could sneak around the hallways on some adventures (until a Cast Member spotted you and sent you back to your room). I know during that storm that people in other types of properties, including the Poly, Contemporary, etc., were stuck in their room until the lock-down was over.

righttrack

I can tell you walking around the Poly in bad rain is not fun. Rain sloughs off of the roofs so heavily that getting inside the buildings can be difficult.

YourHumbleServant

Original Poster
I can tell you walking around the Poly in bad rain is not fun. Rain sloughs off of the roofs so heavily that getting inside the buildings can be difficult.

I bet. That's why I went with Contemp or WL. I'd like the 'warmer' feel of WL, but Contemp would give you a good view (as JIMINYCR points out).

chrisbarry

We spent Charley in French Quarter on the third floor of building 7 looking at the Sassagoula. Trapped, really. Nowhere to go once it got dark and the storm really hit. Disney ran classic animated movies on one of their internal channels. We had Haunted Mansion Clue and some Princess arts and craft type things we picked up at the gift shop in anticipation of long hours in the room. Would've been nice to have a DVC 1-bedroom or anything more than just one room! Like ...say...the King Kamehameha Suite at the Poly;)

Siren

Four Seasons Orlando. It's built like a fortress but also so beautiful and elegant.

If I had to choose a Disney property it would be either the Contemporary because it looks structurally sound. Or, the Grand Floridian main building because of the large, bright, airy and open atrium lobby and that piano, too.

As an aside, I don't live anywhere near the hurricane path and it's not even here yet -- but, I am totally exhausted from Hurricane Matthew.

Again, I hope everyone stays safe and my prayers are with everyone who was or is in the path of the storm.

bethymouse

Grand Floridian or Contemporary(Tower). We were at the Polynesian during Tropical Storm Colin recently, and it was a bit scary.:(
Beach Club/Yacht Club or Boardwalk Inn. Any of the deluxe resorts.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom