May International Days

May 1

May 2

May 3

May 4

May 5

May 6

NYwdwfan

@NYwdwfan , I saw a brief clip of a report yesterday about Legoland New York. Is it open yet? (Apparently, they had to hold off opening last year, but it sounded like it's either open now, or opening soon.)

I put a link to it, if you're interested. At least the day tickets for the parks aren't too expensive, compared to WDW.

Wasn't sure if it was anywhere reasonably close by you, to visit. Looks like fun. (Maybe not as fun as WDW, but fun nonetheless!) :)

Thank you for posting! It’s not close but is definitely reasonably close. I remember reading about construction starting and then totally forgot about it. My kids have somewhat outgrown their Legos but we are still huge fans so I would definitely go check it out. We loved the one in Florida. I’ll be sure to post pictures if/when we go!

Songbird76

No - but then again if it's not baseball or Big Bang Theory I'm probably not watching it.
I love Big Bang Theory! So funny! I'm not a sports fan. The only sport I ever watch is Gymnastics.

I haven't seen The Good Doctor, but I've thought about it..that's the one with the Autistic young doctor, right? So it might be interesting. My son's therapist when he was diagnosed recommended Atypical, so I watched that and really liked it and related to a LOT of it, though my son is younger than the one in that show and in a completely different place. He's still more like a 6 or 7 year old

The one I've been obsessively watching is Making a Murderer. I finished the 2nd season last night. I guess they are making a 3rd.

PUSH

Original Poster
I love Big Bang Theory! So funny! I'm not a sports fan. The only sport I ever watch is Gymnastics.

I haven't seen The Good Doctor, but I've thought about it..that's the one with the Autistic young doctor, right? So it might be interesting. My son's therapist when he was diagnosed recommended Atypical, so I watched that and really liked it and related to a LOT of it, though my son is younger than the one in that show and in a completely different place. He's still more like a 6 or 7 year old

The one I've been obsessively watching is Making a Murderer. I finished the 2nd season last night. I guess they are making a 3rd.
I loved Making a Murderer. I just watched it last year for the first time, so I was well behind the times there.

Songbird76

I loved Making a Murderer. I just watched it last year for the first time, so I was well behind the times there.
Did you watch both seasons? I didn't even realize it was a series, much less that there was more than one season. And you were ahead of me....I just watched it for the first time this week!

Songbird76

It's about a guy from northern Wisconsin who was in prison for a murder, then he got released after new evidence was found. Then he was found guilty of another murder. And the documentary tries to portray how he isn't guilty for this one, either. It's really interesting.
The first case was a rape, not a murder, but yes, he was exonerated after they did DNA testing and the DNA matched someone else....quite appallingly someone else who had been mentioned by another county's police department as a possible suspect when it occured, but the police in this county chose not to even look into it. Then 18 years later, the innocent man gets out, files a suit against the county police department, and suddenly he finds himself in jail again, this time for murder. And the evidence is really...wow. Lies, hidden evidence, more lies, coerced confessions, more lies. I don't know who committed the murder, but based on the evidence, I don't think the police know either, but they were sure determined to get it pinned on this guy whether he did it or not.

PUSH

Original Poster
The first case was a rape, not a murder, but yes, he was exonerated after they did DNA testing and the DNA matched someone else....quite appallingly someone else who had been mentioned by another county's police department as a possible suspect when it occured, but the police in this county chose not to even look into it. Then 18 years later, the innocent man gets out, files a suit against the county police department, and suddenly he finds himself in jail again, this time for murder. And the evidence is really...wow. Lies, hidden evidence, more lies, coerced confessions, more lies. I don't know who committed the murder, but based on the evidence, I don't think the police know either, but they were sure determined to get it pinned on this guy whether he did it or not.
It's hard to tell what actually happened. The documentary brings up a lot of ideas that should have been looked at during the initial investigation. But the documentary is also focused on telling the story of Steven Avery, so it's going to be biased to some degree. Regardless, it's really interesting.

PUSH

Original Poster
It's amazing how many kids don't go outside to play. I'm sure there have always been some kids who stay inside most of their days, but it seems like a much higher percentage than when I was a kid. Every Monday morning, I have my class share one thing they did over the weekend. It's amazing the amount of kids who say the same thing every week. One boy says, "I played on my Switch." One girl says, "I played on my Kindle." And you can tell they never go outside. The other week the girl said, "I actually didn't do what I normally do. I watched YouTube." Even though she tells me every day about something on YouTube. She also refuses to drink water. When she gets thirsty after PE or recess, especially now that it's warming up, she tells me and I say she can go get a water bottle. Then she complains and says she hates water. I tell her, "Well that's what we have if you're thirsty." She's asked me for chocolate milk and even fruit punch instead. I've never met a kid before who won't drink water. She legitimately starts pouting and puts her head down on her desk. It's pretty alarming with some of these kids.

Pretty much every weekend, and most week days, I was outside playing with neighborhood kids. We'd ride our bikes to the park. We'd go down to a dead end that had a berm and some foliage and play in what we called "The Sticks".

Songbird76

It's hard to tell what actually happened. The documentary brings up a lot of ideas that should have been looked at during the initial investigation. But the documentary is also focused on telling the story of Steven Avery, so it's going to be biased to some degree. Regardless, it's really interesting.
Right....but there were some things that were proven to be lies, or hidden evidence. Like the witness who told the cop where to find the car. Not long after that, he calls dispatch to run the plates....we hear a recording of it...and that call was made a day or two BEFORE the vehicle was found, and it was no longer where the witness said it was. Suddenly it was on the Avery property. They have the recording from dispatch where he asked them to run the plates and then confirms the type of vehicle. But then he says, under oath, no, he wasn't looking at it when he called it in. But he had just been tipped as to where to find it, and why would he need to run the plates if he didn't find it? It doesn't make sense. Or the "CD" of info taken from the Dassey computer that they did not turn over to the defense because it would make their star witness completely non-credible. That's not to say that Steven Avery couldn't have done it, but the police investigators and the prosecution team were certainly committed to getting a conviction, even if they had to fudge some evidence to do it. And what's sad is that they made it impossible for some of the evidence to be re-examined, so if he IS innocent, it's harder to prove.

He was never presumed innocent. They decided he was guilty the moment she went missing, and they did their best to make the evidence fit him without even looking at other possibilities. The ex-boyfriend was given access to areas that were off limits to the general public, and he was never asked for an alibi. Because of the rape case, everyone knew Steven Avery...it would be easy for the ex-boyfriend to plant evidence to frame Avery. Avery was already vulnerable to suspicion, even though he was exonerated. There were those who thought he should stay in prison even though they caught the guy who really did it and he had admitted to it a decade before, and it was the same guys who put him away without evidence the first time. It was a heavily publicized case, so anyone who wanted a scapegoat to frame would have known he'd be the perfect person. We probably won't ever know for sure who really did it, but I think it was handled unethically, even if Steven Avery is guilty. It was certainly handled unconstitutionally. By law, they were supposed to turn over that CD to the defence. And the prosecutor releasing the contents of the Dassey confession before trial was also unconstitutional. There was no way Steven could get a fair trial because everyone heard the details of the case before jurors were even chosen. So whether or not he is guilty, he did not get a fair trial, and I don't think he ever will because some of the evidence has been destroyed so it couldn't be tested again.

PUSH

Original Poster
Right....but there were some things that were proven to be lies, or hidden evidence. Like the witness who told the cop where to find the car. Not long after that, he calls dispatch to run the plates....we hear a recording of it...and that call was made a day or two BEFORE the vehicle was found, and it was no longer where the witness said it was. Suddenly it was on the Avery property. They have the recording from dispatch where he asked them to run the plates and then confirms the type of vehicle. But then he says, under oath, no, he wasn't looking at it when he called it in. But he had just been tipped as to where to find it, and why would he need to run the plates if he didn't find it? It doesn't make sense. Or the "CD" of info taken from the Dassey computer that they did not turn over to the defense because it would make their star witness completely non-credible. That's not to say that Steven Avery couldn't have done it, but the police investigators and the prosecution team were certainly committed to getting a conviction, even if they had to fudge some evidence to do it. And what's sad is that they made it impossible for some of the evidence to be re-examined, so if he IS innocent, it's harder to prove.

He was never presumed innocent. They decided he was guilty the moment she went missing, and they did their best to make the evidence fit him without even looking at other possibilities. The ex-boyfriend was given access to areas that were off limits to the general public, and he was never asked for an alibi. Because of the rape case, everyone knew Steven Avery...it would be easy for the ex-boyfriend to plant evidence to frame Avery. Avery was already vulnerable to suspicion, even though he was exonerated. There were those who thought he should stay in prison even though they caught the guy who really did it and he had admitted to it a decade before, and it was the same guys who put him away without evidence the first time. It was a heavily publicized case, so anyone who wanted a scapegoat to frame would have known he'd be the perfect person. We probably won't ever know for sure who really did it, but I think it was handled unethically, even if Steven Avery is guilty. It was certainly handled unconstitutionally. By law, they were supposed to turn over that CD to the defence. And the prosecutor releasing the contents of the Dassey confession before trial was also unconstitutional. There was no way Steven could get a fair trial because everyone heard the details of the case before jurors were even chosen. So whether or not he is guilty, he did not get a fair trial, and I don't think he ever will because some of the evidence has been destroyed so it couldn't be tested again.
I agree with all of that. I feel like most cases aren't "innocent until proven guilty". They are usually "guilty unless you can prove your innocence". I don't remember a lot of the specific details about the documentary since it's been a while now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom