Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Songbird76

Speaking of toilet paper, is anyone else besides me upset about the Rid-X ad that basically says... 'So you bought all that toilet paper now it is all in your septic system' and you should buy Rid-X to prevent clogged system?

WTH, just because you bought a large quantity of paper all at one time, doesn't mean you have used it any faster then you would have if you bought it one roll at a time. I know it is a small thing, but I have to wonder how many people didn't pick up on that bit of deception and ran out and bought Rid-X. I was in advertising for a few years and deceptive stuff like that jumps out at me. OK, rant is over, I have flushed it out of my system.
I don't know...some people might use it faster. If you are using it sparingly because you don't have much, then you suddenly get a bunch, you might use more than you would otherwise, just because you can. Just like people who are poor scrimp and save....then they win the lottery and they go through millions in a year or two because it seemed like it was more than they could ever spend.
And my husband....when Pepsi is on sale, I'll stock up on it, but then he goes through it twice as fast or more. I used to be able to buy just a couple of bottles per week...but 2 weeks ago, we bought something like 16 bottles when it was on sale, and I still had to buy more this past weekend. He went through it that fast. If it's there, he's going to drink it. And he'll get upset if I don't use things right away. Crunchy cheetos aren't a "thing" here, so when I found some, I bought two bags of them. But because it's a treat for me, I don't want to eat them all at once...I want to enjoy them longer. So E and I ate one bag and decided to save the other for later. It sat there for a couple weeks, and then my husband "got tired" of it sitting there and asked if we were ever going to eat it, because if it was just going to sit there, HE was going to eat it just to get it gone. I had to tell him nope, that was MY treat, and I didn't have to eat it right away. It wasn't going to go bad in a couple of weeks or even a month or two. If we're in the store, and I go to buy a net of oranges, he'll say I don't need them because we already have some at home...even if there's only one left in the net. If it's there, he wants it used up as soon as it can be used. Then, because he's used to using it faster, I have to buy more of it because the rate of consumption has increased. The more we have, the faster he goes through it.

Goofyernmost

I don't know...some people might use it faster. If you are using it sparingly because you don't have much, then you suddenly get a bunch, you might use more than you would otherwise, just because you can. Just like people who are poor scrimp and save....then they win the lottery and they go through millions in a year or two because it seemed like it was more than they could ever spend.
And my husband....when Pepsi is on sale, I'll stock up on it, but then he goes through it twice as fast or more. I used to be able to buy just a couple of bottles per week...but 2 weeks ago, we bought something like 16 bottles when it was on sale, and I still had to buy more this past weekend. He went through it that fast. If it's there, he's going to drink it. And he'll get upset if I don't use things right away. Crunchy cheetos aren't a "thing" here, so when I found some, I bought two bags of them. But because it's a treat for me, I don't want to eat them all at once...I want to enjoy them longer. So E and I ate one bag and decided to save the other for later. It sat there for a couple weeks, and then my husband "got tired" of it sitting there and asked if we were ever going to eat it, because if it was just going to sit there, HE was going to eat it just to get it gone. I had to tell him nope, that was MY treat, and I didn't have to eat it right away. It wasn't going to go bad in a couple of weeks or even a month or two. If we're in the store, and I go to buy a net of oranges, he'll say I don't need them because we already have some at home...even if there's only one left in the net. If it's there, he wants it used up as soon as it can be used. Then, because he's used to using it faster, I have to buy more of it because the rate of consumption has increased. The more we have, the faster he goes through it.
I suppose if you can force yourself to need toilet paper (significant amount, if you get my drift) then it would matter, but most of the time that is something that isn't for our pleasure per se, it is a necessity of nature, not a shopping spree. Never felt the need to overuse even when my storage area was full of the stuff. Butt, that may just be me! (yes, that was intentional) 🥴

Last edited:

Songbird76

I suppose if you can force yourself to need toilet paper (significant amount, if you get my drift) then it would matter, but most of the time that is something that isn't for our pleasure per se, it is a necessity of nature, not a shopping spree. Never felt the need to overuse even when my storage area was full of the stuff. Butt, that may just be me! (yes, that was intentional) 🥴
Not so much "need", but I remember someone saying at the beginning of the pandemic, when everyone was hoarding TP and no one could find it on the shelves at the store, this person had a limited supply, but couldn't get it across to her daughter that she didn't need huge wads of TP every time she went to the bathroom. The kid was using massive amounts and clogging up the toilets. If they then got a large supply again, I can imagine the kid thinking "Oh good, now I don't need to conserve anymore." Who knows...you're probably right when it comes to most people, but I bet there are a few outliers.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Not so much "need", but I remember someone saying at the beginning of the pandemic, when everyone was hoarding TP and no one could find it on the shelves at the store, this person had a limited supply, but couldn't get it across to her daughter that she didn't need huge wads of TP every time she went to the bathroom. The kid was using massive amounts and clogging up the toilets. If they then got a large supply again, I can imagine the kid thinking "Oh good, now I don't need to conserve anymore. Who knows...you're probably right when it comes to most people, but I bet there are a few outliers.
There's always a few.

NYwdwfan

As much as I like all the flavors, I think (for me) it would be just a tad bit overkill on the toppings. Glad you enjoy it though. :)
I mix extra caramel sauce into the apple mixture - which is already a mild caramel being I use butter and sugar and apples. Then I take a giant dollup of that caramel apple dip stuff and melt that in too. Lol it's a big melted mix of sugar and apples - sometimes we don't even have the crisp part we just eat that in a bowl!
Speaking of toilet paper, is anyone else besides me upset about the Rid-X ad that basically says... 'So you bought all that toilet paper now it is all in your septic system' and you should buy Rid-X to prevent clogged system?

WTH, just because you bought a large quantity of paper all at one time, doesn't mean you have used it any faster then you would have if you bought it one roll at a time. I know it is a small thing, but I have to wonder how many people didn't pick up on that bit of deception and ran out and bought Rid-X. I was in advertising for a few years and deceptive stuff like that jumps out at me. OK, rant is over, I have flushed it out of my system.
I think it's related to people being in their homes more. When the kids were in school and I was going to the office the house was vacant most of the day. Then we were all three home 24/7 for months and months. It's definitely more stress on the septic system.

Songbird76

I think it's related to people being in their homes more. When the kids were in school and I was going to the office the house was vacant most of the day. Then we were all three home 24/7 for months and months. It's definitely more stress on the septic system.
Maybe it's a stress thing...People are stressed about their jobs, or being unemployed, or getting sick, etc....then the stress gives them digestive issues? I had to call my doctor this morning to ask for something because I have my road test on Thursday to get my license and I'm so nervous I couldn't eat dinner last night, it took me hours to fall asleep and then I kept waking up and I had dreams about driving. My stomach is still unhappy and what little I could stomach today didn't sit well. Stress can do a number on your stomach.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Maybe it's a stress thing...People are stressed about their jobs, or being unemployed, or getting sick, etc....then the stress gives them digestive issues? I had to call my doctor this morning to ask for something because I have my road test on Thursday to get my license and I'm so nervous I couldn't eat dinner last night, it took me hours to fall asleep and then I kept waking up and I had dreams about driving. My stomach is still unhappy and what little I could stomach today didn't sit well. Stress can do a number on your stomach.
Good luck on your road test.

I had to take 6 written exams in the past 18 months. I’m a fairly confident test-taker, but when the butterflies start, I just remind myself - It’s just a test. If I pass, I pass. If I fail, I can schedule a re-examine. Nobody is taking away my kids. I’m not going to lose my house. No one’s life is in jeopardy.

Keep the test in perspective. Failing is inconvenient, probably costs a bit to re-take, and might be mildly embarrassing; but at the end of day, after all we’ve been through in the past year, it’s not that big of a deal.

Take a few deep breaths, and give it your best.

Songbird76

Good luck on your road test.

I had to take 6 written exams in the past 18 months. I’m a fairly confident test-taker, but when the butterflies start, I just remind myself - It’s just a test. If I pass, I pass. If I fail, I can schedule a re-examine. Nobody is taking away my kids. I’m not going to lose my house. No one’s life is in jeopardy.

Keep the test in perspective. Failing is inconvenient, probably costs a bit to re-take, and might be mildly embarrassing; but at the end of day, after all we’ve been through in the past year, it’s not that big of a deal.

Take a few deep breaths, and give it your best.
Thank you...that's good advice. Keep it in perspective. I did a bit of research last night and only 50% of people pass the first time, so the odds aren't great anyway, which kind of says something either about the expectations or about the quality of instruction, or both. And if I don't pass, I don't have to be embarrassed, because there are a whole lot of others who don't.

My lesson yesterday was a big ol' failure, but today is a new day. We'll see how my lesson today goes. Live and learn.

Songbird76

Precisely. You've dumped yesterday's jitters, so today you should be a lot calmer, and more focused. :)
Today's lesson went SOOOOO much better. I still made some mistakes, but nothing near what I did yesterday. And what @JenniferS said about no one's life being in jeopardy, no one taking away the kids, etc really helped. And then I went to get my passport photo taken because you have to provide your own photo for your license here, the gal said really, you learn to drive AFTER to get your license, and that really put things into perspective. I've been thinking about it all wrong. I've been thinking I have to know everything BEFORE I take the test, but NO ONE knows everything beforehand....I haven't experienced every situation, so how could I possibly expect to know how to handle every possible situation that could come up? Every time I have a lesson, I learn something new....of COURSE I haven't learned everything yet. I need to show that I know enough to drive safely and to solve problems. The rest of the experience I'll get later. And if luck isn't with me this time and things come up that I haven't experienced and can't figure it out, I'll just know more for the next time. So I'm relatively calm now. Yesterday I was completely freaked out. Today, I'm nervous, but actually more just looking forward to it being over with. Pass or fail, at least I'll know, and if I fail, I have time to practice. I am not dreading it anymore like I was.

Songbird76

Well, I failed the driving test. I was too careful. The Dutch style of driving is a lot more cut throat than driving in Wyoming. I'm used to watching for antelope or deer jumping out in front of the car, and I'm used to having nice wide streets and plenty of room, so if there's a narrow space, my instinct is to slow down, and the person in back of you isn't expecting you to slow down, so it can be dangerous, they say. My own personal opinion, the person in back of me is supposed to be far enough behind that they have time to react. If someone jumps out in the street, I have to hit the brakes, and the person behind me is responsible for his own reaction. I can't control what the guy in back of me does. But, that's the way it is. here....better luck next time.

SteveBrickNJ

Well, I failed the driving test. I was too careful. The Dutch style of driving is a lot more cut throat than driving in Wyoming. I'm used to watching for antelope or deer jumping out in front of the car, and I'm used to having nice wide streets and plenty of room, so if there's a narrow space, my instinct is to slow down, and the person in back of you isn't expecting you to slow down, so it can be dangerous, they say. My own personal opinion, the person in back of me is supposed to be far enough behind that they have time to react. If someone jumps out in the street, I have to hit the brakes, and the person behind me is responsible for his own reaction. I can't control what the guy in back of me does. But, that's the way it is. here....better luck next time.
Sorry to hear of this temporary set back. I agree with you that the person behind you should be far enough behind to not be caught off guard if you slow down. Anyway, better luck next time 👍 :)

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the test. Those rules seem strange to me too. Good luck next time.

Songbird76

What an absolute understatement. I'd hate to pay auto insurance rates there.
I'm not sure how different they are, but driving here certainly makes me nervous. I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but I know you have talked about defensive driving, basically assuming everyone else on the road is an idiot and trying to make sure you can prevent an accident by adjusting your own driving to what others are doing. Well, one day in my driving lesson, my teacher was on me about going too slowly around this big curve in the road, etc. And I think I slowed down because the road was narrow and there was another car and I wanted to make sure we didn't hit? I don't remember exactly what happened, but he literally said to me "What you're doing is driving defensively, and you are not supposed to do that." I always saw defensive driving as a GOOD thing. Here, they don't want you to do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom