Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Songbird76

I haven’t seen a moment of the games yet. Should the men (like the women 🙂) make it to the gold medal hockey game, I’ll probably have to watch a few minutes.

I’m not a fan of the Olympics anymore. I think the whole system is flawed, plagued with corruption, and rife with cheaters.

For Canadians, it all started with Ben Johnson being stripped of his 100m gold medal. It’s one of those Canadian “Do you remember where you were when you heard?” moments. The nonsense in Sochi was just the icing on the cupcake. I don’t trust the integrity of the games anymore. I also don’t like how entire nations practically bankrupt themselves for the privilege of hosting.

I check the standings every day to see how my nation is faring, as that is the patriotic thing to do; but truth is, but for comparing our medal count to yours, I couldn’t care less. (If you’re not Canadian, none of this last sentence will make any sense. If you are Canadian, or have close relatives in Canada, you will just sit there and nod your head. 😂)
I haven't watched any of it either. I do know that the guy the Dutch people expected to win some speed skating race came in 6th instead, and got beat out by a Canadian who is actually Dutch? Like...his parents are Dutch, but he lives in Canada and was raised there? And that the Dutch skater was disqualified at the last Olympics because his trainer gave him the wrong instructions and he used the wrong lane or something, when he actually won the race. Speed Skating is pretty much the only thing people watch here so everyone was talking about it at work, but I don't really care about speed skating.
I prefer the Summer games myself, because I love watching the gymnastics. But I agree about the corruption. Like...the Japanese or Korean gymnast whose starting score on one event was too low...they didn't give him credit for all his difficulty and they ended up giving the medal to an American. And the little Chinese girl whose birthdate was faked because she was too young to compete. And even YEARS ago when I was still in high school, the Russian team faked an injury because one of the girls was pegged to win the beam and she ended up falling off and not qualifying for all arounds or something like that. And there was another girl who was ranked right behind her and passed her when she fell and she wasn't expected to perform well, so they forced her to say she couldn't compete because of her ankle so the girl who fell could take her place. I'm pretty sure the girl who fell was Tatiana Gutsu? But they always did stories on athletes who were favored to win and they had talked about how Gutsu's whole family lived in a small apartment and that if she won a medal, the government would pay for her family's apartment and if she lost, they'd be evicted, so the pressure was all on this 16 year old girl to win so her family would have a place to live. Then she falls and she misses the qualification by one spot...and her teammate had qualified. So they made the teammate say she hurt her ankle so Tatiana would move up one rank so she could compete. I remember feeling so bad for her about the pressure, but thinking it was so unfair that they made the other girl give up her spot and I really wanted Shannon Miller to win even though Kim Zameskal was the favorite. I don't remember now who won, but I was pretty obsessed with the gymnastics that year! But that's pretty much the only thing I follow in the Olympics.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I haven't watched any of it either. I do know that the guy the Dutch people expected to win some speed skating race came in 6th instead, and got beat out by a Canadian who is actually Dutch? Like...his parents are Dutch, but he lives in Canada and was raised there? And that the Dutch skater was disqualified at the last Olympics because his trainer gave him the wrong instructions and he used the wrong lane or something, when he actually won the race. Speed Skating is pretty much the only thing people watch here so everyone was talking about it at work, but I don't really care about speed skating.
I prefer the Summer games myself, because I love watching the gymnastics. But I agree about the corruption. Like...the Japanese or Korean gymnast whose starting score on one event was too low...they didn't give him credit for all his difficulty and they ended up giving the medal to an American. And the little Chinese girl whose birthdate was faked because she was too young to compete. And even YEARS ago when I was still in high school, the Russian team faked an injury because one of the girls was pegged to win the beam and she ended up falling off and not qualifying for all arounds or something like that. And there was another girl who was ranked right behind her and passed her when she fell and she wasn't expected to perform well, so they forced her to say she couldn't compete because of her ankle so the girl who fell could take her place. I'm pretty sure the girl who fell was Tatiana Gutsu? But they always did stories on athletes who were favored to win and they had talked about how Gutsu's whole family lived in a small apartment and that if she won a medal, the government would pay for her family's apartment and if she lost, they'd be evicted, so the pressure was all on this 16 year old girl to win so her family would have a place to live. Then she falls and she misses the qualification by one spot...and her teammate had qualified. So they made the teammate say she hurt her ankle so Tatiana would move up one rank so she could compete. I remember feeling so bad for her about the pressure, but thinking it was so unfair that they made the other girl give up her spot and I really wanted Shannon Miller to win even though Kim Zameskal was the favorite. I don't remember now who won, but I was pretty obsessed with the gymnastics that year! But that's pretty much the only thing I follow in the Olympics.
Canadians care about hockey. A few care about curling.

This year though, everyone is in love with Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir; mainly because we all think they are in love.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom