Where in the World is Bob Saget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soarin' Over Pgh

"sissy football"?

1. Soccer is played with no pads except shin guards.
2. There are barely any substitutions. You have to run around the field the whole 90 minutes.

Football is obviously a high-contact sport, but that doesn't make soccer any less strenuous.

I'm an American football fan, but I respect the amount of effort soccer players put into their game.

This, so much of this.

Yes, and they also drafted the players Belichick was going to draft if the Browns had stayed in Cleveland (Ogden and Lewis) and then won a SB. The Ravens even stuck Ernest Byner's name in their Ring of Fame, like everything he had accomplished was while playing for them. The Browns were actually one of the favorites to win the SB the year Modell announced the move, and were having a good season until then. That was the Browns SB that they won, and Cleveland fans are very bitter about that because our team never should've been moved in the first place. Sorry, this is a VERY sore subject...

Girlfriend knows her football history and I greatly respect that. See? Steelers and Browns fans *can* be friends.

StarWarsGirl

Point is, Baltimore is a dump and I'm not the only person tired of hearing about it. Give it a rest, it's not the best place on earth, it's far from it.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in one's home town, just as some have college pride or national pride. The only way I every talk about Baltimore on here is our sports teams, both of which have been good over the past few years. You yourself show your pride by sporting a Steelers avatar. And no, Baltimore is not a "dump". There are parts that are nice...and parts that are not, just like any other city.
We can also name every player on the team, and past players, and the coaches, and can even tell you layers of history about the owners.

Can you?
About the Orioles, yes. I've only been a Ravens fan for a few years. Been an Orioles fan my entire life. Ravens, and football, I'm still learning. My dad's even better about the Orioles than I am. He can tell you details about games from when he was a kid. Quite frankly, I wouldn't watch football if it were not for the Ravens.

I think it's great that your team has been around for so long and has all that history. But that doesn't mean that other, newer teams can't also be great or shouldn't be proud of their team.

See? Steelers and Browns fans *can* be friends.
I have friends who are Steelers fans. Also relatives. Some of them I have an agreement with that we don't discuss football. Unless it has nothing to do with either team

StarWarsGirl

"sissy football"? No wonder so much of the world seems to hate Americans.

1. Soccer is played with no pads except shin guards.
2. There are barely any substitutions. You have to run around the field the whole 90 minutes.

Football is obviously a high-contact sport, but that doesn't make soccer any less strenuous.

I'm an American football fan, but I respect the amount of effort soccer players put into their game.
Hey, my dad said it. I'm just repeating it. It's meant to be a joke. If you didn't find it funny, I apologize.

I really don't care for soccer that much, so I don't really follow it. I don't have much knowledge of the sport. I appreciate the effort that any players put into any sport. Even though I don't particularly care for said sport

Zweiland

Hey, my dad said it. I'm just repeating it. It's meant to be a joke. If you didn't find it funny, I apologize.

I really don't care for soccer that much, so I don't really follow it. I don't have much knowledge of the sport. I appreciate the effort that any players put into any sport. Even though I don't particularly care for said sport
My comment wasn't a shot at you or your dad... but I've seen that attitude towards soccer from multiple people lately, and I was so fed up with it that I had to comment.

You don't have to apologize for my not finding it funny.

StarWarsGirl

Sorry, this is a VERY sore subject...
This is the last I'll say of the matter...completely understand that. It's the way many Ravens fans feel about the Colts. They don't like that the Colts because of the whole sneaking out in the middle of the night thing. It's really hated that they kept the team name. So I appreciate that this a sore spot for Browns fans.

StarWarsGirl

My comment wasn't a shot at you or your dad... but I've seen that attitude towards soccer from multiple people lately, and I was so fed up with it that I had to comment.

You don't have to apologize for my not finding it funny.
Hey, I really just have never cared for soccer. I don't think it has much to do with me personally as being American so much as I have just never liked it, even in high school PE. As far as sports go, baseball and football are it for me. Athletes all work very hard and I appreciate the effort even if I don't enjoy their sport.

acishere

Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
My dad calls soccer "sissy football".

I can't say I've ever really cared for it either. A lot of family friends like soccer and get together and play every Sunday afternoon. To me, it's just one more sport in which I could easily get hit in the face with a ball. It wasn't my most hated sport in middle and high school PE though. That title belonged to field hockey. With basketball and lacrosse following very closely.

I don't follow ice hockey very much either. Since Baltimore doesn't have a team, it's not much of a thing here. My school has a team. But other than one football game per year since I've been in college, I really don't attend sporting events.
I was actually talking about the CFL.

Our field is 10 yards longer and 16 yards wider. We play with 12 guys vs 11. And we only have 3 downs vs 4.
Due to weather restrictions, the CFL season starts and ends much earlier than the NFL season.
And our balls have stripes.

I'm sure there are more differences, but that's about all I actually understand, not being a football fan and all.

Don't care for soccer either.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I was actually talking about the CFL.

Our field is 10 yards longer and 16 yards wider. We play with 12 guys vs 11. And we only have 3 downs vs 4.
Due to weather restrictions, the CFL season starts and ends much earlier than the NFL season.
And our balls have stripes.

I'm sure there are more differences, but that about I actually understand, not being a football fan and all.

Don't care for soccer either.
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying. :)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Y'all were feisty this morning, especially concerning your sports teams.

And that's why I'm grateful to say:
The Leafs stink. No argument.
The Jays started out great. And then TANKED in August.
We don't have NFL up here, so nothing to argue about.
The Western CFL teams eat the Eastern teams for breakfast. (The Argos are Eastern, of course.)

All we really have is Olympic hockey; ergo we need to do well, as we have to ride that success or failure for four whole years.

I need coffee now. Back in a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom