Where exactly does the Stitch hate stem from?

LowesChevy

I would say that the attraction replacement played a part but I think it was also the fact that they shoved Stitch down our throat. They tried making him as popular as Donald or Goofy and he just does not have that kind of appeal for many. He is not a bad character they just saturated the place with him.

Bingo...like they changed the monorail spiel years ago to have him takeover and head to "Stitch Kingdom"-it was truely annoying. The wake up service focuses on his voice as well. I just feel like Disney came up with this idea and shoved him down our throats because he wasn't as popular as they anticipated inho.

lebeau

Bingo...like they changed the monorail spiel years ago to have him takeover and head to "Stitch Kingdom"-it was truely annoying. The wake up service focuses on his voice as well. I just feel like Disney came up with this idea and shoved him down our throats because he wasn't as popular as they anticipated inho.

Actually, I don't think this is true at all. At the time, Stitch was about the only successful non-Pixar animated feature Disney had released in years. He had a hit TV show and direct-to-video movies. Disney leaned on Stitch because he was the most popular thing they had going outside of Pixar.

Stitch was immensely popular among little kids who watched his show. But a lot of posters around here didn't have kids that age and don't realize how immensely popular Stitch was when his show was on the air all the time.

MickeyPeace

I never understood the hate for Stitch either when I started paying attention to Disney blogs and podcasts.

My gut feeling when I discovered the hate was that it was either one of two things.

Pack mentality-people playing follow the leader for fear of having their own opinion

Character subtext-perhaps this character represents something that people fear.

Stitch represents mischief and people want Disney to be a safe, predictable environment.

Or maybe people are uncomfortable because Stitch represents the non-traditional family. Lilo has no parents and is being raised by her sister. And she also has Stitch who has become part of the family. The message of the film "no one gets left behind" Maybe this bothers people?

Who knows. But when there is this much hate for a character and/or attraction there has to be some reason for it.

Personally L & S is one of my favorite Disney movies. SGE is just an ok attraction, just like many other ok attractions in WDW. It doesn't warrant the hate it gets.

As for AE, I didn't find it scary at all. I remember not knowing anything about it when I went in. I sat there the hold time with the restraint over my shoulder waiting for the ride to begin. When it was over I thought, that's it?! What just happened.
My friend was scared by it though. To me it was not at all intense.

Bairstow

I never understood the hate for Stitch either when I started paying attention to Disney blogs and podcasts.

My gut feeling when I discovered the hate was that it was either one of two things.

Pack mentality-people playing follow the leader for fear of having their own opinion

Character subtext-perhaps this character represents something that people fear.

Stitch represents mischief and people want Disney to be a safe, predictable environment.

Or maybe people are uncomfortable because Stitch represents the non-traditional family. Lilo has no parents and is being raised by her sister. And she also has Stitch who has become part of the family. The message of the film "no one gets left behind" Maybe this bothers people?

Who knows. But when there is this much hate for a character and/or attraction there has to be some reason for it.

Personally L & S is one of my favorite Disney movies. SGE is just an ok attraction, just like many other ok attractions in WDW. It doesn't warrant the hate it gets.

As for AE, I didn't find it scary at all. I remember not knowing anything about it when I went in. I sat there the hold time with the restraint over my shoulder waiting for the ride to begin. When it was over I thought, that's it?! What just happened.
My friend was scared by it though. To me it was not at all intense.

Or maybe people just don't like getting belched on.

I agree with you about AE not being super-intense, but a lot of it depends on the individual. When I first went on it I was 12, and I was pretty scared. This was also between the time when Eisener supposedly ordered the attraction to be made "more intense" and when the additional audio was added to tone it down again, "That's my mother-in-law!", etc.

Oh, and as for Disney's championing the Stitch character, some of it may have to do with the fact that he's hugely popular in Japan. He even had another TV show over there were they replaced Lilo.
stitch_anime.jpg

Of course, the Japanese go crazy over Duffy too, so take that with a grain of salt.

Mansion Butler

To give the OP a larger sample of answers:

Yes, I have always hated Stitch the character, and his movie. There is just not one aspect of his personality or voice that I enjoy. So when he starts taking over the parks, you can imagine what that does to my opinion of him.

draybook

I've never seen the movie and I find the character annoying. That being said, you can bet your bottom dollar that my son loves the attraction and we go through it roughly 12 or so times during our visits.

Mansion Butler

Here's something that should be a poll: If not for the chili dog belch and loogy spitting, SGE would merely, to you, be a benign attraction not worth going on often, rather than something you revile, true or false?

(Obviously if you like it this question is not for you.)

Bairstow

To give the OP a larger sample of answers:

Yes, I have always hated Stitch the character, and his movie. There is just not one aspect of his personality or voice that I enjoy. So when he starts taking over the parks, you can imagine what that does to my opinion of him.

I'm curious about your tastes: Did you also see, "How to Train your Dragon" and if so, what did you think about it?

Krack

Here's something that should be a poll: If not for the chili dog belch and loogy spitting, SGE would merely, to you, be a benign attraction not worth going on often, rather than something you revile, true or false?

I tend to overly dislike ("revile") any replacement attraction that is worse (subjectively) than what was there previously. Removing the "we're not even trying" pre-kindergarten humor, it's still not even close to being as good at what it's intended to do as AE was at what it was intended to do. So I would still dislike it and badmouth it when given the opportunity.

For me, this applies to Journey Into Your Imagination, The American Idol Experience, Test Track, Mission Space, the Nemo Cabs, Sounds Dangerous, Tiki Under New Management, Winnie the Pooh ... and to a far lesser extent, the "new" Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth 4.0, Ellen's Energy Adventure, etc.

Tigger1988

I've only been on it once and the chill dog smell has ensured I will never go on again. If that were removed I'd probably ride it again once in a blue moon.

captainkidd

I've never seen the movie and I find the character annoying. That being said, you can bet your bottom dollar that my son loves the attraction and we go through it roughly 12 or so times during our visits.

I'd shoot myself.

I never saw the movie either. Never interested me. I don't HATE the attraction. It has potential, but it goes nowhere. The character I hate because Disney shoved it down our throats, as others have said.

Bairstow

I tend to overly dislike ("revile") any replacement attraction that is worse (subjectively) than what was there previously. Removing the "we're not even trying" pre-kindergarten humor, it's still not even close to being as good at what it's intended to do as AE was at what it was intended to do. So I would still dislike it and badmouth it when given the opportunity.

For me, this applies to Journey Into Your Imagination, The American Idol Experience, Test Track, Mission Space, the Nemo Cabs, Sounds Dangerous, Tiki Under New Management, Winnie the Pooh ... and to a far lesser extent, the "new" Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth 4.0, Ellen's Energy Adventure, etc.

Test track too? Wow.

In the interest of conversation, could you give us a few examples of a situation where the attraction Disney installed was as good, or better than the one that preceded it?

cynic710

for me, its mostly due to stitch replacing what i thought was a great ride. now we are forced to deal with the rotten dorito smell.

im just not a fan, he wont be up at the tier 1 level of characters for me, in spite of how hard Disney pushes.

MickeyPeace

For me, it's the fact that the original movie is "AWFUL".
Lilo & Stich sucked.
No character should be so popular when the original movie they appeared in is pure garbage.
Simple as that.

I don't think this was well said. You could share with everyone why you think the movie is pure garbage.
The message? Characters? Plot? Animation? Explain.

Many people here admit they've never seen the movie. If you haven't then you should see it before making others opinions yours.

Rescue Ranger

Nothing against the little guy, never even seen the movie...but that Attraction or lack there of, is HORRIBLE. I hate it. Its one big waste of space and IMO, an embarrassing joke. It needs to be GONE, along with Sounds Dangerous, Narnia & Idol.

Bairstow

But they like getting farted on?

If that were really the reason then people would making more of a "stink" about the stink bugs in Its Tough to be a Bug. But you never hear anyone complaining about that.

That's a metathoracic glandular emission... it's different.

lebeau

I don't think this was well said. You could share with everyone why you think the movie is pure garbage.
The message? Characters? Plot? Animation? Explain.

Many people here admit they've never seen the movie. If you haven't then you should see it before making others opinions yours.

Agreed.

I hadn't seen the movie until after I accidentally found myself in a meet and greet in 2003. (It was literally an accident. It was empty. We walked in. They wouldn't let us leave until we had our pictures taken. We had no idea who they were,)

Lilo and Stitch is not a classic. But it is good. It is easily one of the best non-Pixar Disney animated features of that time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom