Where do you Stay?

FamilyMagic

Original Poster
When you go to WDW where do you stay? I've just noticed that many people are able to stay for long lengths of time at Disney and wonder if you stay on the grounds, have a time share, hotel nearby, or somewhere else. My family has always been interested in staying for a longer time, but it just gets to expensive. Those of you who stay for a while, where do you stay & how many days are you there?

Timekeeper

In the resort parking lots, or more specifically, in our Honda in the resort parking lots.

Let's face it, the only thing to do when not in one of the parks or other guest areas is sleep. I don't feel inclined to pay for a hotel room just for 6 hours of sleep time. I have found our vehicle to be completely sufficient. And I have yet to find a Disney resort that does not have an accessible restroom near the lobby - which is perfect for brushing teeth, sponge bathing, and other bathroom needs. Sunshades and makeshift curtains provide for adequate privacy.

The benefits of in-vehicle-slumber-parties? Obviously, eliminating the cost of hotel room fees. Does a hotel room have a moon roof that allows for you to sleep under the stars? No. Does a hotel room give you access to a social network of friendly teardrop-trailer-toters? No. Does a hotel room provide the instant mobility that allows you to change the scenery each night at a different resort? No. ...And the goings-on of a parking lot in the middle of the night is often more entertaining than hotel room cable. Room service versus a 5 minute run to McDonalds... enough said.

At first we thought that security might be an issue, but so far everyone has given us our privacy and left us alone. We have also met others with the same idea. Granted, car seats are not quite as comfortable as an actual bed, but given the cash we're saving, it works just fine.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Our trips from the UK are for a minimum of 2 weeks apart from our upcoming Christmas trip. We've stayed in a hotel off Int Drive, we've stayed in villas / homes on Highway 27 and, of course, we've stayed on property

elisatonks

I've stayed both onsite and offsite, but now mostly stay at DVC resorts as my folks are members. However other than SSR where i have stayed 3 times, i have always stayed in a different resort each time.

Spike-in-Berlin

At first we thought that security might be an issue, but so far everyone has given us our privacy and left us alone. We have also met others with the same idea. Granted, car seats are not quite as comfortable as an actual bed, but given the cash we're saving, it works just fine.

How do you pass the security control to the resort parking lots? You normally have to stay at the hotel to park there.
And BTW, if you stay at a Disney-Resort you DO more in your hotel than sleeping, at least if its a moderate or deluxe hotel. For example when we stayed at the Coronado Springs we definitely wanted to use the pool. And transportation from Wilderness Lodge brought us in less than 5 min to the MK, so we went back to the hotel when it became too crowded around 1 pm. and returned after we had a break at the pool.

Yes you pay more but since I stayed on property for the first time I will never EVER stay off property again.

abbeysmom

There is NO way that I would ever sleep in my car at WDW. I am definately not a pampered person but come on............. you are on vacation and should relax. I just can't imagine getting relaxed enough in a car to rest enough to be able to enjoy the parks. I too would be interested in knowing how they get by the security booths. Sounds to me like someone is telling a story............. :shrug:

TTFN-Tiggger

Depending on who I am traveling with and their budget we still stay on site. I prefer the the moderates - CBR or POFQ to be honest. POP also is fine when you don't have much $$ to spend on the hotel. Leaving for DL in 13 days and yes - staying on site there too! To me it is just part of the experience. :D

Eyekimore

I've never slept in resort parking lots before- but I do know that you can get through security by showing an annual pass or DVC card. One of the perks is being able to visit and use all resort areas of WDW.

BTW- Timekeeper- a spongebath in July/August might not be enough. FYI-
If you know Disney resorts well enough- you also know that there are some resorts that have showers by their pool areas. :lookaroun

Dingle66

I think choosing a place to stay is just that....an individual choice. There are plenty of options from campgrounds and budget resorts to luxury resorts, so whatever your family enjoys or fits your needs the best is your choice. We have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin hotels because until this year we didn't have kids and those resorts are nice but affordable for us to spoil ourselves a bit with all the amenities of Disney transportation and convenience. The Boardwalk and Epcot are both within walking distance, a boat gets you to DHS and buses go to MK, AK and Downtown Disney.

Again, whatever fits your budet and preferences is available.

Timekeeper

How do you pass the security control to the resort parking lots? You normally have to stay at the hotel to park there.

In addition to what Eyekimore mentioned, we have never been turned away when our "reason" for being there was (1) to visit a friend, (2) to check in, (3) to dine on property, (4) to look for a resort at which to host our upcoming company retreat.

If you know Disney resorts well enough- you also know that there are some resorts that have showers by their pool areas. :lookaroun

Exactly. I wasn't going to give away all my secrets...:D

BrennaRN

When i was small my parents use to stay off property and then all it took was one trip to the Contemporary and we were set. It's just a different experience on property. We are all now members of DVC and now stay in the hotels allotted for DVC. We Love it!

JustPlainBill

With exception to the one time I went to WDW as a kid, I've always stayed in a deluxe resort. I'm not rich by any means, my wife isn't working currently and I have two young daughters. My income is probably average for a male, mid-west US professional, single bread-winner in his mid 40s. We haven't gone on many "big" vacations over the years, mostly just extended weekender type stuff more local to where we live. We've just introduced our kids to WDW last year for the first time. When my wife and I first visited WDW together on our honeymoon there was only three hotels on property to stay at, which are now considered "deluxe," (except for Shades of Green , which was the Disney Inn then) there was no classification of moderate or value. We like the convienence of staying on property and the extra perks you get, bigger room and such. We like being closer to the action and being within sight of the parks which the deluxes offer. They are expensive, but we save and do without some things in order to swing it, going during deluxe value season helps. We don't have a lot of "toys" and we live a sparten life compared to most. We no longer have a mortgage, which makes it a bit easier. My wife and I feel that if we can't swing a deluxe resort we have no business going to WDW until we can. Just a personal choice.

YankeeMouse

When we can get a good annual passholder discount code, we stay at WL, Contemporary, Beach Club, rarely the Poly, AKL, and moderate always POFQ if available, once at CBR. Stayed off site at a Homewood Suites close to the main gate about 15 years ago when the kids were young...never again! On site is the way to go. Have never gone Value but with the annual pass, the moderate can be as low as $99/night sometimes.

coltow

My first 20+ trips were always offsite. First few were on Int. Drive, then "grampy" bought a condo in Kississimee, then moved to Haines City. In 1998 was our first trip onsite and couldn't believe the difference. DH and I have had quite a few trips. We have only stayed offsite once since then (@ US for a change). We will always look to stay onsite, at least until boys get a little older. Once we don't have to worry about naps and pool breaks as much, then we may look elsewhere, but Disney resorts will be our choice for at least a few more years.

palmage

In the resort parking lots, or more specifically, in our Honda in the resort parking lots.

Let's face it, the only thing to do when not in one of the parks or other guest areas is sleep. I don't feel inclined to pay for a hotel room just for 6 hours of sleep time. I have found our vehicle to be completely sufficient. And I have yet to find a Disney resort that does not have an accessible restroom near the lobby - which is perfect for brushing teeth, sponge bathing, and other bathroom needs. Sunshades and makeshift curtains provide for adequate privacy.

The benefits of in-vehicle-slumber-parties? Obviously, eliminating the cost of hotel room fees. Does a hotel room have a moon roof that allows for you to sleep under the stars? No. Does a hotel room give you access to a social network of friendly teardrop-trailer-toters? No. Does a hotel room provide the instant mobility that allows you to change the scenery each night at a different resort? No. ...And the goings-on of a parking lot in the middle of the night is often more entertaining than hotel room cable. Room service versus a 5 minute run to McDonalds... enough said.

I think I stood next to you in line..................whooooooo:hurl:

Erin_Akey

Before Pop Century was built, we used to stay at all different resorts. I just cannot see how anyone can say staying off site is cheaper when you add in all fo the extra hours, etc. I wasn't a big fan of the All Star resorts, and so we used to stay at Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, etc.

But- once Pop Century was built- we were hooked and now stay nowhere else. Our trips are never less than 12 days and we love the value of Pop. We spend the majority of out time at the parks. We eat dinner at different resorts so my family gets to see them all each trip. Why do I want to spend 250.00 a night more for a few ammenities we may not use?

Pop has an awesome food court. The Hippy dippy pool and petals pool bar are wonderful. There is also a fantastic martini bar at the end of the food court as well.

My kids adore the arcade and the rooms are great for my family. we have four kids so we always need two rooms. The staff there is great and always take care of our needs.

When we stayed at AKL- i felt like the surroundings were so dark, the food court was so tiny, and the pool etc. was so hard to find. It is a gorgeous place and we love going to dinner there at Boma, but for convenience and for my family, Pop is our favorite.

This coming trip we are dining at Boma, 1900 Park Fare, Whispering Canyon, Chef Mickey's, etc. so we will get to be at all of the resortsv anyway.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Last few years we have stayed at the BWV, AKL and Poly. We love the cabins at FW and have stayed at POR too. This year owing o lack of availability were at SS.

Off site I have stayed at various villas in the Kissimmee area and on one occasion a HoJo. The nicest villa was down the 4 toward davenport. Bit too far for our daily park trips though.

Also stay a few nights each trip at the HRH.

bgraham34

I only get to do 4-5 nights. Usually 4 is the most I can do, but this year I am doing 5. Every other year or so I get 5 out of it. I just joined the DVC and I hope this enables me to make trips every year or 2. If its every 2 years I would stay 7 nights I think but only time can tell. My home resort is the VWL and I just love the WL too. Its my home away from home.

Vince3

We do one week in July ( Contemporary ).
One week during Christmas ( Hilton )
Usually during the year a weekend or 2 at the Contemporary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom