where do you start to become an imagineer?

raven

Not to bring you down, but for every possition available there are often more than 2,000 applicants. :(

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Get a Masters in Engineering and a Masters in Fine Arts. Find a way to combine them.

Do a good job outside of Disney, get a good reputation in the industry, and keep working.

Befriend some people at WDI.

You'll be hired in time to retire.

KerrriK85

if you are a young age and in college, you can do the college program internship...yea, you will be put working at the rides or whatever, but they actually invite the cps to go to meetings and get contacts to help you get a real job with the company...honestly its the easiest way to get a foot in the door

becanya

I've heard that Disney selects people in the industry based on their qualifications and contacts them with imagineering offers. Actually, our neighbor was offered an imagineering job with Disney that way. Craziness...she turned it down. That's when I realized I couldn't be her friend anymore. :hammer:

Scuttle

Why would you want to? You could have the best idea ever, but cheap Disney wouldn't build it. They kinda have a reputation fort that! But go for it man.

LALALand

Get a Masters in Engineering and a Masters in Fine Arts. Find a way to combine them.

Do a good job outside of Disney, get a good reputation in the industry, and keep working.

Befriend some people at WDI.

You'll be hired in time to retire.

That's about it. Engineering is key, but there are also artists working there as well. There also appears to be crossover between fields like aerospace and WDI (SoCal is/was an aerospace hub). Go for engineering and focus on an aspect that you enjoy. Mechanical/Electrical Engineering would be a good start. You can also take art courses as well and design things. Don't listen to the people who tell you that it's impossible to get in. Just learn all you can, build contacts, and keep at it. If it's your dream gig, then just go for it and I wish you the best of luck. Oh, and as we move into the future, Computer Science might be a good avenue as well.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
If you are still in Middle/High School take as much math as humanly possible. From there a degree on Mechanical Engineering with a minor in a specialty section of engineering. Following that some sort of master's in engineering. Take a look at the posted job requirements online.

wizards8507

If you are still in Middle/High School take as much math as humanly possible. From there a degree on Mechanical Engineering with a minor in a specialty section of engineering. Following that some sort of master's in engineering. Take a look at the posted job requirements online.

Partly disagree. They don't just want engineers. They want artists. You'll need an engineering degree and some serious creative skills. And you better be the best student from the best university. For their recent round of Finance recruiting, they only came to a handful of universities, and none of them are ranked any lower than 11th in Businessweek's best undergraduate business programs (Notre Dame, Virginia, MIT, Penn, UC Berkeley, Michigan, Texas, BYU, for example). I can imagine that their Imagineering standards are even tighter.

wedenterprises

First, get a good education.

second, get a good education in what you love, not what you think WDI will be hiring. If you study engineering just to become an Imagineer, you will end up being an engineer. Even if you work at WDI one day you will be an engineer. If you study illustration you will become an illustrator working at Imagineering. If you study computers or robotics or graphic design, you will be those things. So do what you love to do. Don't listen to people saying you have to become an engineer. WDI is made up of many specific disciplines.

third, if possible, and depending on your field, think about getting your education in LA. You have a better chance of meeting the right people here. It's not a must, but the right connections are here.

Fourth, look at Carnegie Mellon's Entertainment Technology program. It is a direct link with WDI and Disney.

Fifth, never ever ever give up.

sixth, if possible, become the best in your field.

seventh, there is no secret formula to becoming an Imagineer. Every path will be different.

Eighth, look into the ImagiNations design competition.

Ninth, Try the college program or get a job at the parks.

Tenth, be an imagineer.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Partly disagree. They don't just want engineers. They want artists. You'll need an engineering degree and some serious creative skills. And you better be the best student from the best university. For their recent round of Finance recruiting, they only came to a handful of universities, and none of them are ranked any lower than 11th in Businessweek's best undergraduate business programs (Notre Dame, Virginia, MIT, Penn, UC Berkeley, Michigan, Texas, BYU, for example). I can imagine that their Imagineering standards are even tighter.

Really? My neighbor is an Imangineer as of 6 or 7 years ago. He has a BoS and MoS in Mechanical Engineering from Old Dominion. I would say you are stretching it quite a bit there.

Old thread that I forgot I submitted a post.

CaptainShortty

First you have to get your foot in the door. If you're still in college the easiest way is by participating in the Disney College Program. Disney hires approximately 80% of their upper-level positions from people that have participated in the college program. (And it's a hell of a lot of fun being a CP)

You can also enter into the ImaginNATIONS contest which is where WDI finds most of their interns. From there, the interns ususally are the ones they hire as full-timers.

If you're not in college, find a way to apply for a job with Disney and start talking to as many people as possible. Someone will get you a connection with WDI. From there, work hard and try to move up slowly in the company or hope for your big break.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
First you have to get your foot in the door. If you're still in college the easiest way is by participating in the Disney College Program. Disney hires approximately 80% of their upper-level positions from people that have participated in the college program. (And it's a hell of a lot of fun being a CP)

You can also enter into the ImaginNATIONS contest which is where WDI finds most of their interns. From there, the interns ususally are the ones they hire as full-timers.

If you're not in college, find a way to apply for a job with Disney and start talking to as many people as possible. Someone will get you a connection with WDI. From there, work hard and try to move up slowly in the company or hope for your big break.

My older brother has done that and is now a campus rep and will be doing a professional internship. I will be doing the College Program within my last 3 semesters of graduations (aka in the next year). The biggest thing I have learned to watch out for is keeping your nose clean of the "party program" lifestyle a lot of the participants have become accustomed to.

CaptainShortty

My older brother has done that and is now a campus rep and will be doing a professional internship. I will be doing the College Program within my last 3 semesters of graduations (aka in the next year). The biggest thing I have learned to watch out for is keeping your nose clean of the "party program" lifestyle a lot of the participants have become accustomed to.

I did my CP in Spring 2010 (Hospitality- Animal Kingdom Lodge) and I'm a Campus Rep right now at my school. I want to do a PI, preferably in Weddings after I graduate from college this coming May.

You have to be careful when it comes to partying because it's very, very easy to get yourself termed. You can still party and have a good time but you have to be smart about it. Take advantage of all the opportunities you are given, make lots of friends and have so much fun! Good Luck in the application process. I hope you get to experience the magic of being a CP! :)

spbink

Fourth, look at Carnegie Mellon's Entertainment Technology program. It is a direct link with WDI and Disney.

I went there (graduated in May), and I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the program. It's all about working in small interdisciplinary teams to make really cool stuff :lol:

I'd also say to anyone who wants to be an imagineer to think about what part of it you want to do. Imagineering hires people in all different areas, from writers to artists to engineers to HR. Ultimately it's more important to love what you do then to work for a particular company or department!

ayefour corp.

I went there (graduated in May), and I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the program. It's all about working in small interdisciplinary teams to make really cool stuff :lol:

I'd also say to anyone who wants to be an imagineering to think about what part of it you want to do. Imagineering hires people in all different areas, from writers to artists to engineers to HR. Ultimately it's more important to love what you do then to work for a particular company or department!

Well said bink. Also, if Eddie is talking on here to anyone, I'd say listen!

Do not assume that any one degree is what the company is looking for, instead, know what you want to do and figure out how you can bring that to the company.

;)

( ayefour who has been around the block before )

Tink ッ

A guy named Randy Pausch was an imagineer, so you should check out a video called the last lecture (he died of cancer unfortunately). It's about how to achieve your childhood dreams, but he also talks about his journey to be an imagineer at Disney and how hard he had to work to get it. As many other, he didn't get it on the first try. It's really inspirational!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom